Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Patrick Ramsey's Value

hitmandm

As posted earlier, it all depends upon which team needs a QB and which team is willing to give up a high draft choice for PR instead of drafting a rookie QB.

More limiting, IMHO, is the fact that a team would only have him for one year, until his contract expires. So that team would have to negotiate a new contract or an extension, before giving up a high draft choice. If that team is unable to negotiate a new contract, then I doubt if that team would give up a high draft choice for only a one year player.

My definition of a high draft choice is a #2 or #3. I do not see any team giving us a #1 for PR. BUT if we were offered a #1 draft chice, could we even afford the price tag, in consideration of our cap situation? I would prefer several mid round picks instead of one #1.

HTTR

:cool:

I would guess 3rd round pick with the potential for a 2nd round pick. Ramsey looks like he can be a starting QB immediately for a lot of teams and a lot of teams need a new starter-- Oakland, Miami, New Orleans, Arizona, Cleveland, Detroit, maybe Baltimore, New York Jets, Buffalo, maybe Tennessee, maybe Minnesota, maybe Dallas, maybe Houston. The draft doesn't have that many good QBs. Plus, with Phillip Rivers off the market, there is one less potential starting QB available.

Phillip Rivers and John Kitna are now off the board for teams to try and get. Patrick Ramsey has a lot of value right now. He is young, has a gun for an arm, and has now played under a Hall of Fame coach who has shown him the importance of managing a game with his head and not just his arm.

This list of teams you provide is interesting. I see Ramsey as a great fit in Oakland, New Orleans, Miami, Cleveland, NY Jets and Buffalo. The Raiders have a lot invested in Randy Moss and Jerry Porter but no experienced QB to get them the ball downfield. This is a strength of Ramseys. I have no doubt that they would overpay for someone with Ramseys ability. The Jets are also an interesting option, especially since we have had dealings with them in the past few years. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make us an offer for Ramsey either. Finally, the Dolphins have to address the QB situation and Nick Saban would be a great coach for Ramsey. They have a good defense and a good running back with a pro bowl receiver. The only piece really missing in Miami is a QB who can grow with this team.

I'm betting we can get no worse than a 2nd round pick for Patrick Ramsey.

Oakland still has Kerry Collins, who is more experienced and has a great arm. They might let him go, but until they have their new coach, no one knows what Oakland will do.

New Orleans will definately draft either Vince Young or Matt Leinhart.

Cleveland just drafted a QB and played him and actually won with him in Frye.

Buffalo is also like Oakland, they don't have a head coach yet, so who knows what they will do. They drafted Losman in the first round only 2 years ago, and as bad as he may have played this year, they invested a lot in him and might give him another shot.

Jets has Pennington under a HUGE contract. That is one of their biggest problems, they are not sure what they have anymore in him because of his injuries, but they gave him a LARGE contract just last offseason and will not be able to release or trade him whatsoever. They have the #4 draft pick, might pick up a later round QB as a project in case Pennington goes down again.

Detroit also has no head coach as of now, but Harrington and Garcia are most likely gone. Many people believe that this is the team that will pick up Jay Cutler in the draft. We'll know more after they get a coach.

Miami is interesting. They gave up a 2nd round pick for Feeley, and they are probably still regretting that immensely. But they have an immediate need at QB and might not be able to address it in the draft.

Last I heard, Ramsey wants to be a starter. He showed up to clean out his locker with a U-Haul on Monday. I think Washington will trade him for a WR + others. We could get 2 players for him--maybe.

Patrick is young enough to be effective and he's had a whole season to watch a WINNING season. I'm sure he's learned a lot by watching Brunell.

Gibbs wants to put Campbell on the field next year. Not as a starter though. I think Brunell will take the starter position again... but I don't see him with us as a starter in 2007.

Anyway... that's my 2 pennies.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

i'd be pretty upset if we let him go for anything less than a 3rd rounder......direction is key to this organization at this point we cant be having 3 qbs in limbo without definite roles.

If we lose Ramsey, we are EFFED big time. Think about it: Brunell is too old, and Campbell is still too young, for either of them to lead us to a Super Bowl next year.

I'm a big Brunell fan, but the injuries have taken their toll. And if we put in Campbell, he will have to go through the standard, first-year QB maturation process, complete with tons of boneheaded decisions and interceptions.

I don't think we're F'ed...

We will continue to build on our defense. I think the second half of our season and our 2 playoff games have really intimidated our competition for 2006--provided we can hang on to those key players.

With our strong defense, the offense can get built around. We need better protection on our QB and we need more reciever options. THAT is the bottom line as I see it. Our offense must get stronger. Brunell is capable of great things when he's well protected and his recievers are open. Moss has been double and triple teamed in the last 7 games--and for good reason. Cooley and Thrash were our other threats but only for short passes.

We need more Reciever threats and more protection on the QB, regardless of who is the QB.

ok i dont know why everyone is so critical of PR we drafted him in the first hes throw to the wolves his first 2 season constantly bombarded by defenses due to almost no pass protection and no real running game

year 3 coach gibbs arrives automatically brings in free agent vet Mark Brunell and anyone who even kinda knows coach gibbs style knows MB will be the starter the first half we flonder faceing another losing season it takes to the 9th game before he actually brings in PR in the cincinnati game the obvious rythmn between receivers wasnt on u could see coles, gardner and others were not used to the power of ramseys passes compared to MB (this was my first and only game ive been to i loved it even thou we lost the experience was crazy) PR almost brought us back to win with his arm obviously

year 4 PR is the determined starter but yet we used a 1st round pick to get another QB which had me wondering after a mediocre preseason you could tell PR was one mistake from being hooked in favor of the vet game 1 hes injured coach gibbs never looks back yes MB manages and yes he doesnt make alot of mistakes (cuz he never takes any)

to my point how can everyone be so down on PR he showed when he stepped in the giants game by leading us on 2 seperate scoring drives not only could he be a starter for us but for any team and he will thrive sumwhere else where he gets the chance to have a whole offseason with a 1st team offense not looking over his shoulder thinking im done with one pick one coach in particular in our division who loves strong armed pocket passing tough QB's Parcells (id hate seeing it) but accepting nething less then a high 2nd round pick or quality key position would be unexceptable and with that said i believe PR will be back unless a team pays what he IS worth to them

The main reason that his only worth a 5th or 6th round pick. Is that he is in the last year of his rookie contract. He will then become a free agent. No team is going to offer more than that with the risk of losing him the next year.

What if we offered them the chance to negotiate an extension with him before the deal is made. Then teams would do it because they could get him cheaper and for longer term.

Or, we could give Patrick and his agent permission to find a trade and, if they do, see if it would suit us. This has been done before by other teams.

Archived