Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com:Porter on refs: 'I felt they were cheating us'

'Skins_&_'Stons

How would YOU build the Dynasty?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. How would YOU build the Dynasty?

• WR!!! Via Free Agency!!!
    • WR!!! Via High 2nd round or Low 1st Round Pick!!!
    • DE!!! Via Free Agency!!!
    • DE!!! Via High 2nd Round or Low 1st round pick!!!
    • O-LINE REHAB!!! Via Free Agency!!!
    • O-LINE REHAB!!! Via 2nd round or 1st round pick!!!

How much does everyone think he should be fined by these extreme accusations? I would not be surprised if the NFL slams him with at least $20K!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294214

ESPN.com news services

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter is not known to shy away from a microphone, and that might make him a little lighter in the wallet after his comments after Sunday's game against the Indianapolis Colts.

When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.'Joey Porter, in The New York Times, after Troy Polamalu's interception was reversed.

10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site.

Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post. If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs). Please see our copyright statement.

I don't personally have any problem with Joey Porter speaking about the Refs. They're not teammates, family members or even associates of his. That's a whole different thing in my eyes. It was a blatantly terrible call. He'll be fined mightily for saying anything even though the worst thing to probably happen to the Ref is that his crew will be finished for the year.

I think he should be fined. The guy is a jerk. He won and he still wants to draw attention to himself instead of just focusing on the Broncos. Regardless of if the refs missed the call or not, the NFL was not trying to make sure the Colts won the game. I mean, how about the pass interference call in the Broncos/Patriots game? You don't hear Tom Brady or Asante Samuel making the same accusations do you? Refs miss calls Joey, learn to live with it.

you believe that Porter didn't make Mike and Mike's "just shut up" segment ... pretty bad. He is a nut. This conspiracy stuff is crazy.

On another topic, is Porter not the hardest looking dude in the NFL. That guy scares the crap out of me for some reason ... he looks like a freaking pit bull.

can they fine him at all since the nfl admitted it was a terrible call? probably, they will say "yes it was a bad call but we would NEVER try to cheat a team". and in a way they are right. i dont think that teams are cheated against as much as certain teams are cheated for, no matter who they are playing.

Jeez, way to be rough. Even though Troy's interception was legit, there is no excuse for pubicly showing your emotions.

I bet you the Colts thought it was a fair call when it was overturned, its just a matter of opinions.

If Joey Porter wants to know what bad reffing is all about, tell him to come to Washington =)

Guest sith lord
I think he should be fined. The guy is a jerk. He won and he still wants to draw attention to himself instead of just focusing on the Broncos. Regardless of if the refs missed the call or not, the NFL was not trying to make sure the Colts won the game. I mean, how about the pass interference call in the Broncos/Patriots game? You don't hear Tom Brady or Asante Samuel making the same accusations do you? Refs miss calls Joey, learn to live with it.

That wasn't a missed call he was complaining about. Also, Bill Belichick has critisized the officiating in that game and rightfully so. That had to be one of the worse P.I. calls I've ever seen.

Regardless of if the refs missed the call or not, the NFL was not trying to make sure the Colts won the game.

It wasn't a missed call. A "missed call" is what you call all the holding Seattle was doing to our D-Line last Saturday... ;)

This was an incorrectly overturned call. The original call made on the field was correct and inexplicably overturned.

It's one thing to accuse refs of making bad calls.

It's another thing to accuse refs of cheating.

Two extremely different things that should and will carry a different weight. Porter's statements are ludicrous and inflammatory, and he deserves to be fined like hell. Accusing the NFL and its refs of being corrupt is just plain bad.

How is he a nut?

I had absolutely no interest in who won or lost this game. But when they overturned that call I couldn't help but think it was a pure screwjob. Everything he said was everything that went through my head after it happened.

Of course every team has to overcome bad calls, the Skins know all about it. But that was the most suspect call I've ever seen, especially in a game of that caliber. To the point it really does make you wonder about conspiracies.

Joey Porter is dumb 99% of the time... but he has every right to be pissed about that call and it would seem as though he is a little right about the calls being "against" the Steelers or "for" Peyton and Co.

The refs have no other reason to be so bad other than, that is the outcome they would like. I used to be a ref in College and you always favored the people you liked more then those you didnt and had a shorter leash on the people you despised as athletes. Its human nature, not necessarily anything evil or a conspiracy.

After the NFL said the official was wrong Porter should not be fined. When players criticize any call they should not be fined until the nfl actually takes a look at it. That call was a mjor part of the game and couldve changed the outcome of the game if vanderjagt makes the fg.

Porter should be fined for being the dirtiest player in the game today however.

That wasn't a missed call he was complaining about. Also, Bill Belichick has critisized the officiating in that game and rightfully so. That had to be one of the worse P.I. calls I've ever seen.

This sounds like complaining about a missed call to me (the ref who overturned it MISSED it)-

When Troy Polamalu's fourth-quarter interception was overturned by referee Pete Morelli, Porter felt the Steelers were facing opponents on two fronts: the Colts and the refs.

"I know they wanted Indy to win this game," Porter told The New York Times. "The whole world loves Peyton Manning, but come on man, don't take the game away from us.

And I heard Belichek too. He said he saw what the side judge saw (the one who didn't throw the flag). He didn't say, man the whole NFL loves Jake Plummer, they want him to win the superbowl.

I agree totally that both were terrible calls but it's one thing to phrase your statement like Belichek did and totally another to say what Porter did.

Knowing the NFL is a screwed up organization, he'll probably be fined. But I am sure he'll feel it's money well spent.

How much does everyone think he should be fined by these extreme accusations? I would not be surprised if the NFL slams him with at least $20K!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294214

ESPN.com news services

Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Joey Porter is not known to shy away from a microphone, and that might make him a little lighter in the wallet after his comments after Sunday's game against the Indianapolis Colts.

When they did that, they really want Peyton Manning and these guys to win the Super Bowl. They are just going to straight take it for them. I felt that they were like 'We don't even care if you know we're cheating. We're cheating for them.'Joey Porter, in The New York Times, after Troy Polamalu's interception was reversed.

No, I do not well maybe I'm kinda biased being a Steeler fan as well as a Skins fan that could have change the whole out come of the game yes, they would have gotten robbed to team that they clearly outplayed most of the game so yes there was some injustice I have no problem with his comments he was dead on actually every one wanted to see Peyton Manning .

Archived