Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tuesday Morning Quarterback Downs The Skins, Other Playoff Stuff

stwasm

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9170836

Stats of the Week No. 2: Bill Belichick and Joe Gibbs both lost on a day they entered a combined 28-6 in postseason play.

Stats of the Week No. 3: In two games at Chicago, Steve Smith had 26 receptions for 387 yards.

Stats of the Week No. 4: From the fourth quarter of the Tampa game till the second quarter of the Seattle game, Washington's offense staged eight consecutive three-and-outs.

Sweet Play of the Week: Seattle holding a slim 7-3 lead in the third quarter, the Seahawks faced third-and-3 at midfield. Washington blitzed six, no rusher getting anywhere near Matt Hasselbeck, thanks to excellent blocking including from Tuesday Morning Quarterback Non-QB Non-RB NFL MVP Walter Jones. Joe Jurevicius ran a quick stop. Hasselbeck saw there was no safety behind Jurevicius and motioned him to streak up the filed; 31-yard completion and Seattle takes a 14-3 lead on the possession. It was strictly a "go down to the lamppost and cut toward the blue car" play.

Sour Call of the Week: Seattle leading 7-3, the Blue Men Group prepared to punt with 30 seconds in the first half. To that point the Redskins' offense had recorded six points in its last five quarters. The situation dictated a 10-man rush to try to block the punt; what good would it do if the low-voltage Skins' offense got the ball deep in its territory with seconds remaining? Washington rushed only a handful, trying to set up a return; got the ball on its 30 with 18 ticks left; and ran up the middle to kill the first-half clock. Why didn't Washington go after the punter?

Sour Blocks of the Week: Seattle leading 14-3, rain making a long field goal unlikely, Washington went for it on fourth-and-13 from the Seahawks' 33. The Hawks rushed three, yet got a sack as Bryce Fisher -- an Air Force veteran released twice in the NFL, and first-teamer on TMQ's All-Unwanted All Pros -- blew past highly drafted megabucks tackle Jon Jansen. When three rushers overwhelm five blockers, that is sour.

Washington at Seattle: Last week, Tuesday Morning Quarterback noted the Redskins' defensive performance improved late in the season because Washington's cornerbacks were hurt, which forced the tastefully named Gregg Williams to give the corners safety help and, in turn, prevented Williams from calling blitzes. I cautioned, "Elite corner Shawn Springs is expected back for the upcoming Washington at Seattle contest. For heaven's sake, tastefully named Gregg, don't use that as an excuse to go blitz-wacky." Springs played, Williams resumes his blitzing ways, and surely as the night follows the day, blitzes were Washington's downfall.

Seattle's opening possession, the Seahawks faced third-and-4. It's the first expected-blitz down of the contest, first test of whether the tastefully named Gregg can resist the urge to go blitz-wacky. Aaaaaiiiiiiiyyyyyyeeeee! Big blitz, 37-yard completion to Darrell Jackson. Now Seattle leads 7-3 and faces third-and-3, six-man blitz, 31-yard completion to Joe Jurevicius. Now Seattle leads 14-3 and faces second-and-8, another blitz, another 37-yarder to Jackson. Now the play that ended Washington's season: Seattle leads 17-10 with 5:17 remaining and faces third-and-6. Six-man blitz and blocking back Mack Strong, 17 rushing attempts on the season, takes a draw for a career long run of 32 yards. A few snaps later it was 20-10 and Washington's goose was cooked. At Seattle when the Redskins played conventional defense, things went well; when Washington blitzed, the Blue Men Group gained yards in big bunches. And how many sacks or interceptions resulted from Washington blitzing? None.

10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site.

Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post. If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs). Please see our copyright statement.

Seattle's opening possession, the Seahawks faced third-and-4. It's the first expected-blitz down of the contest, first test of whether the tastefully named Gregg can resist the urge to go blitz-wacky. Aaaaaiiiiiiiyyyyyyeeeee! Big blitz, 37-yard completion to Darrell Jackson. Now Seattle leads 7-3 and faces third-and-3, six-man blitz, 31-yard completion to Joe Jurevicius. Now Seattle leads 14-3 and faces second-and-8, another blitz, another 37-yarder to Jackson. Now the play that ended Washington's season: Seattle leads 17-10 with 5:17 remaining and faces third-and-6. Six-man blitz and blocking back Mack Strong, 17 rushing attempts on the season, takes a draw for a career long run of 32 yards. A few snaps later it was 20-10 and Washington's goose was cooked. At Seattle when the Redskins played conventional defense, things went well; when Washington blitzed, the Blue Men Group gained yards in big bunches. And how many sacks or interceptions resulted from Washington blitzing? None. [/color]

thats crazy. If Chris Simms beat our blizt like crazy, we shouldn't have been surprised that Hassleback was going to do it ...

QUOTE]

You see, in spite of his "arrogance." I think he's the best Sports writer there is(focus on the word writer). Most sports writers jut state the obvious about games. Easterbrook has a clearly defined ethic about what he likes to see in football(he likes the run, he doesn't like the blitz, and he likes lots skin shown by cheerleaders), and he defends it in his article every week. In my opinion he does a pretty good job.

His arrogance and humor are what keep his articles interesting.

I hate the American media though. The greatest value is that it "just reports and doesn't give opinions." The first problem is that's impossible, opinions are given no matter what, they are just disguised. Why not just be honest and say, humans are writing these columns and if they have an opinion they can give it.

Secondly, it makes for boring writing. What's the point in "just reporting" something that anyone can see for themselves. Analysis is what makes informative writing interesting. If you aren't going to give it, you might as well just give headlines.

Third, it's reactionary. Just because there are countries in the world where the media flat out tells people what to believe, doesn't mean the answer is to not really say anything. Balance is the key. You can give opinion, but make sure there are balanced forces giving various opinions.

The only thing I didn't agree with is his thoughts on why we didn't go after the punter. Thats the right call in my opinion. Why? What happens if you get unecessary rougness on the punter? They they get the ball near midfield with enough time to get a FG. This way, your pretty much saying lets get into halftime and adjust only being down 4 on the road.

Can't argue with any of it. Particularly the fact that Gibbs saw nothing wrong with his QB going 8 3 and out in 4 quarters. :mad:

His QB?

His QB hands it off to portis.

His QB looks for receivers...#1 double covered, and no #2

His QB tries to buy time, but the O line collapses.

There are 11 men playing offense...

You see, in spite of his "arrogance." I think he's the best Sports writer there is(focus on the word writer).

:laugh: you don't read much do you

he's bigot, sexist, hypocrite, who doesn't know as much as the avg. fan but thinks he could coach a super bowl winner.

He doesn't inform, nor entertain

BTW according to Williams the Skins didn't bliz that much, as if Eastersnook could tell the difference.

However, I never saw Easterbrook make a claim about how much the Redskins blitzed. He just said that when they did blitz they got burned.

Also, I never said he was the most knowledgeable sports writer. I just think he knows what he likes in football, and is a good enough writer to disguise his lack of knowledge. However, about all you can say about most sports writers is that, "well, I don't see any punctuation errors. I guess they have an editor."

My point is that I'd rather read from someone who is less knowledgeable, but can write than a knowledgable person who can't.

However, I realize that like anyone who tries to do something the least bit interesting with anything, will have a large group of people who hate him. So, I don't blame you.

P.S. I'd need an explanation of the bigot, sexist, and hypocrite charge before Ican say anything. To me, they just sound like vague devil terms that people throw out when they don't really know what to say.

on Strong's run, according to Williams, the defense set up for the run, but missed the tackle, if they tackled Strong it would have been a loss.

Gregg is right too. You can clearly see Stoutmire miss the tackle in the replay. Would have been short of the first down too. By 3 yards or so.

There are two things that really tick me off about Easterbrook and prevent me from truly enjoying his articles....

1. His vendetta against the Redskins name and our owner

2. His non-football sidetracks in the middle of an otherwise good football article.

P.S. I'd need an explanation of the bigot, sexist, and hypocrite charge before Ican say anything. To me, they just sound like vague devil terms that people throw out when they don't really know what to say.

1. bigot, fired from ESPN for anti-Semitic statements

2. sexist, treats women as sex object, his weekly cheerleader write ups sound like a teenager going through puberty

3. hypocrite, for all his harping about the Redskins name, as being insensitive, it doesn't stop his insensitive views on women and Jews

There are two things that really tick me off about Easterbrook and prevent me from truly enjoying his articles....

1. His vendetta against the Redskins name and our owner

2. His non-football sidetracks in the middle of an otherwise good football article.

1. Since he jumped to NFL.com he has pretty much stopped with the shots at the team name and Dan Snyder, probably due to his being an employeee of the League.

2. His non-football sidetracks are prtty clearly marked, so if you don't want to read them they are pretty easy to skip.

PS, I do like his columns and I do find them both entertaining and informative.

1. bigot, fired from ESPN for anti-Semitic statements

2. sexist, treats women as sex object, his weekly cheerleader write ups sound like a teenager going through puberty

3. hypocrite, for all his harping about the Redskins name, as being insensitive, it doesn't stop his insensitive views on women and Jews

all right, I suppose it makes sense.

I'm not familiar with #1. I think #2 is a ruse, but if you want to take it seriously, I can't blame you. I think it's pretty clever because feminism has got to the point where a woman is pretty much empowered by doing anything. So, he kind of takes the view that if a woman puts herself in a situation where she's wearing skimpy outfits and exploiting her sexiness in the way that a cheerleader does the only properly feminist thing to do is enjoy it. I think it's kind of funny and a pretty intesting comentary.

As far as #3 goes, I suppose if you accept #1 and #2 then #3 logically follows.

You see, in spite of his "arrogance." I think he's the best Sports writer there is(focus on the word writer). Most sports writers jut state the obvious about games. Easterbrook has a clearly defined ethic about what he likes to see in football(he likes the run, he doesn't like the blitz, and he likes lots skin shown by cheerleaders), and he defends it in his article every week. In my opinion he does a pretty good job.

His arrogance and humor are what keep his articles interesting.

I hate the American media though. The greatest value is that it "just reports and doesn't give opinions." The first problem is that's impossible, opinions are given no matter what, they are just disguised. Why not just be honest and say, humans are writing these columns and if they have an opinion they can give it.

Secondly, it makes for boring writing. What's the point in "just reporting" something that anyone can see for themselves. Analysis is what makes informative writing interesting. If you aren't going to give it, you might as well just give headlines.

Third, it's reactionary. Just because there are countries in the world where the media flat out tells people what to believe, doesn't mean the answer is to not really say anything. Balance is the key. You can give opinion, but make sure there are balanced forces giving various opinions.

Maury Povich and Jerry Springer must interest you as well. Easterbrook is well known for going out of his way to take shots at this team, so don't expect him to be given any pats on the back around here. :)

All blitzes are run blitzes first. That's the first rule of defense (which no one really ever talks about). Even if Stoutmire is there to make the tackle for a loss, it's still a blitz. And the problem with blitzes (and this is Easterbrook's) point is that they are hit or miss. If Stoutmire makes the play, it's a loss. If he misses, the play, the game is over.

His point is often that a vanilla defense in that same situation may have been the correct choice. If the defense works, the Seahawks punt. If it doesn't work, the Hawks get a first down and start over...but the game is not over.

Archived