Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton's Use Of Word 'Plantation' Raises Eyebrows

Thiebear

http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_016200030.html

The one thing Democrats can do that Republicans can't....

Sen. Hillary Clinton, who had launched into an impassioned attack on the Bush administration.

“We have a culture of corruption, we have cronyism we have incompetence I predict to you that this administration will go down on history as one of the worst that has ever governed out country.”

Clinton actually got an easy question. “I need you to tell us what distinguishes Democrats from Republicans right now,” she was asked.

Clinton's answer was provocative.

Said Clinton, “When you look at the way the House of Representatives has been run, it has been run like a plantation and you know what I'm talking about..."

Some House Republicans took immediate offense at Senator Clinton's choice of words.

Said Republican Congressman Peter King, of Long Island, "It's always wrong to play the race card for political gain by using a loaded word like plantation. But it is particularly wrong to do so on Martin Luther King Day."

Put her and Mayor Nagins comments together...

Nagin saying GOD wants New Orleans to be a Black City... etc.. etc.. Edit my fault: Chocolate City...

Right after saying "THEY" wanted the black people to leave N.O.

A dumb statement by one side is o.k.

A dumb statement by the otherside is not o.k.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

umm yeah, exactly WHO said it was ok?
Notice the silence... you don't hear that if its theres and ® anywhere around the name...

Yeah, i don't get it. Do you really want Dems to defend that? Or do you really think they are going to come in here and rip her for it? Really, what was your stance on the whole Trent Lott thing - i doubt you were defending him, nor would i expect you to come into an obviously dem thread and bash him.

But if it makes you happy - she was ABSOLUTELY wrong in that comment and should apologize.

What exactly is your argument here? I'm particularly interested in your point that one party gets to say it but the other doesn't. What exactly is "it" that the GOP can't get away with saying?

Be specific.

I think what he's saying is that if this were a republican using a term like that it'd be all over the news and the republican would be slammed by the left. Instead, this has barely made any news because democrats can get away with it.

This is part of what I was talking about in reference to MLK day.

The leadership of the Democrats thinks that its o.k. to use that day to bash their opponents. The leadership believes they can say whatever they want and will get a pass... And they do. (see Clinton/Gore)

I don't want to have individuals come in here and say anthing other than what they believe. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy.. There will be NO Democratic leadership denouncement of Sen. Clinton. There will be no NAACP renouncement of what she said. I'd be suprised if Mayor Nagin will get anything said either...

It will be silent ... unfortunately... as the current leadership are more about power than doing the right thing. Its sad.

The leadership of the Democrats thinks that its o.k. to use that day to bash their opponents. The leadership believes they can say whatever they want and will get a pass... And they do. (see Clinton/Gore)
Suddenly there are rules? I never read you fuming about the GOP using all military events/holidays to take shots at democrats....but suddenly you can't be calmed about the dreadful democrats using MLK day for politics? You'll have to excuse me if I note your obvious political leanings and place your comments here in proper context.
I don't want to have individuals come in here and say anthing other than what they believe. I am just pointing out the hypocrisy.. There will be NO Democratic leadership denouncement of Sen. Clinton. There will be no NAACP renouncement of what she said. I'd be suprised if Mayor Nagin will get anything said either...

It will be silent ... unfortunately... as the current leadership are more about power than doing the right thing. Its sad.

Personally I don't know just what the hell Sen. Clinton was trying to say, I'll read up on it later. As for the good Mayor, he's taken things much too far IMO.

Also the "current leadership are more about power" thing is laughable. If the democrats were all about power they wouldn't grant their extremists as much voice as they do. They'd play it like the GOP does where you hide the lunatics in the basement and pretend to be moderate for the voters. Not to mention K-street and the "nuclear option" shows which party is willing to bend all the rules in the name of securing power. Not to mention the added secrecy, the investigation of whistle blowers, the growth of executive powers, etc etc etc

Ahhh, the right being hypocrites again. Personally, I hope Hillary stays in NY and away from national office. That said, the hypocrisy of the right amazes me everyday of the week. Yesterday it was Murtha and his medals. Let’s see Bush and Cheney avoided combat altogether and Murtha gets criticized for serving in combat fighting, and getting injured, for his country. Today, Hillary criticizes Bush and the right on MLK day and the right is up in arms. Yeah, Bush and the right have never done anything like that before.

Suddenly there are rules? I never read you fuming about the GOP using all military events/holidays to take shots at democrats....but suddenly you can't be calmed about the dreadful democrats using MLK day for politics? You'll have to excuse me if I note your obvious political leanings and place your comments here in proper context.

There should be rules: But like I said earlier in another thread: The Republicans that run the Ethics committee will not allow it to function.

(you are correct in my leanings.. And I leaned right out of the republican party as they are just as corrupt now as the democrats were before they fell.

Using Veterans day to talk about the military and the lack thereof of support by no means = saying Congressman who make 150k+ a year and 180days of vacation and only have to sponsor 1 bill a month that have no meaning is a "Plantation"...

that is an outrageous statement...

I clearly fascinate them, Gingrich said of the Democrats. Im much more intense, much more persistent, much more willing to take risks to get it done. Since they think it is their job to run the plantation, it shocks them that Im actually willing to lead the slave rebellion. [Washington Post, 10/20/94]

Doh.

Using Veterans day to talk about the military and the lack thereof of support by no means = saying Congressman who make 150k+ a year and 180days of vacation and only have to sponsor 1 bill a month that have no meaning is a "Plantation"...

I think that she said the House is RUN like a plantation. In other words, the top Republican leaders make all the decisions and force them on everyone else, just like the plantation owners made all the decisions and forced them on the slaves. No dissent, no democracy.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I clearly fascinate them, Gingrich said of the Democrats. Im much more intense, much more persistent, much more willing to take risks to get it done. Since they think it is their job to run the plantation, it shocks them that Im actually willing to lead the slave rebellion. [Washington Post, 10/20/94]

Doh.

Lord, how outrageous.

I think that she said the House is RUN like a plantation. In other words, the top Republican leaders make all the decisions and force them on everyone else, just like the plantation owners made all the decisions and forced them on the slaves. No dissent, no democracy.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well...that sounds a little better. But the way she said it was just so inflammatory...I don't know. I'm still a democrat for sure, I just really don't want Hillary to run for the presidency...:doh:

Well...that sounds a little better. But the way she said it was just so inflammatory...I don't know. I'm still a democrat for sure, I just really don't want Hillary to run for the presidency...:doh:

Well, I agree with you there. I do not htink she would be a good president at all, nor do I think she would win if she was the nominee.

But that's not what this thread is about. It's about what she said in that speech - and it looks like what she actually said is being twisted.

Keys to the Democrats wanting to win the next Presidential election:

1) Separate themselves from the progressive secularists in the farthest left of the party.

2) Separate themselves from Hillaruh, Ted Kennedy, Pelosi, John Kerry etcetera and so on.

3) Separate themselves from Michael Moore, George Soros, etcetera.

They don't even need to focus on issues. Hell, if they had just taken my advice, they'd have beaten W regardless who the candidate was.

As long as it wasn't anyone mentioned in #2.

It's gotten eerily quiet on the conservative front....

Come on guys, if you think THIS is bad politics, you're head is in the sand. This is barely more than harmless.

Our conservatives have registered their outrage and moved on to new pastures. There rarely is any point in refuting them when they post this stuff, since they never acknowledge anything that anyone else says, or admit when they have a dog that won't hunt.

Our conservatives have registered their outrage and moved on to new pastures. There rarely is any point in refuting them when they post this stuff, since they never acknowledge anything that anyone else says, or admit when they have a dog that won't hunt.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

She ended it with: And you know what i mean ... and she was saying it in a black church at the time so I doubt se meant decisions and was angling the slave issue.

OH and Gingrich was just as wrong, but him and Hillary have done many a bad thing exactly the same.. One was forced to go, the other moves up...

Archived