Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin's offense + good qb = Panther's offense

GSF

Watching the offense struggle these last few games has been tough for all Skins fans. People have questioned Gibbs, Portis, the scheme, members of the oline. Just about everybody involved with the Skins offense has been bashed on here since the loss to Seattle. I wonder if anyone being so critical of Gibbs and his offense has been watching the Panthers.

The Panthers and Redskins respective offenses are almost identical. Both have decent olines that like to run block. Both currently have only one real receiving threat. The plays and the conservatism are almost identical. There is one huge difference though: the quarterbacks.

Jake Delhomme can make all the throws. He can burn you deep, or he can throw a frozen rope 25 yards over the middle. He's confident he can make those throws, and so are opposing defenses. Jake is also smart enough to throw the ball away when nothing is there, but he's not too quick to throw it away when he has a decent chance to make a play.

The Panthers just went into Chicago and moved the ball at will against what many think is the best defense in the league. Watching the game last night, every time Jake would make a bigtime throw, I couldn't help but think what if.

The rest of the Panther's offense was virtually identical to the Redskin's offense. Don't forget that Dan Henning was the Redskins OC under Gibbs during some of the Redskins' best seasons.

I don't blame Gibbs for sticking with Brunell. When you're on that kind of run, you have to dance with who brung ya. I don't believe, however, this team can get any better with Brunell at the helm. Brunell will be a great backup, but if we're to be contenders, we need a QB with the athleticism to make the plays. I'm sure many, including Gibbs, will think that Campbell is not ready, but the support structure is there for a young QB to have success. A good running game, good pass protection, and a defense that can recover from offensive mistakes are all things that the Skins have, like the Steelers had when the put Big Ben in there. Campbell, at least has had a season to watch and learn.

I really hope that Gibbs will give the bulk of the work to Campbell this offseason with the thought that he will be the starter as soon as possible. I would not at all be surprised to see Gibbs start the season with brunell the starter, but the difference this year has to be that as soon as Brunell shows he can't get it done, Gibbs has to make the switch.

I'm proud of the effort that Brunell put in this year. He fought his butt off no doubt, but he's not a legit QB anymore. Let the Jason Campbell era begin.

I had this same thought while watching the Panthers/Bears game. I still am not sure if it's simplified thinking on my part or the truth. Either way, I think a younger, stronger-armed QB would be able to open some things up that Brunell cannot at this point.

I guess we'll see...you have to assume that this would pan out during the preseason if Ramsey and Campbell are more successful than Mark.

Good analysis!

It doesn't matter what tools you have if you don't use them. I hope Gibbs gets more confident in the passing game in the offseason, because it's obvious he had no confidence in it in these last few weeks.

The Steelers opening drives against the Colts were what I was expecting out of Gibbs against the Seahawks- going vertically against a defense that has 8 and 9 guys in the box. I realize that field position wasn't ideal, but I was disappointed when we saw the offensive gameplan for 3 straight week.

Shoot, if we had a good qb, we would have an even better offense than the panthers because we have a couple things they do not have. Clinton Portis and Chris Cooley. deshaun foster is no portis, not even in the same category. if you give portis soem running room he will kill you period. adding a good #2 WR will also benefit cooley greatly. he will just be able to roam across the middle all day catching first down after first down.

you know why I am so pissed that Joe didn't bring in Ramsey to start the second half? Because of the way he benched Ramsey in the first place. Here is a QB that had a 41 yards passing performance in the week before, he is terrible against an average secondary at best for an entire half and still he sticks with him.

Why isn't anyone of Gibbs can't do no wrong believers admit that? Why is it a QB that effectively has not practiced the entire week for over a month gets to contniue being average at best and not give the guy that was your starter to begin with a chance. IMO a terrible terrible call by Gibbs. And I agree with you guys. Its not that we don't have WRs, but you could have whoever at that spot and still not get it donw when your QB is playing on 1/3 part of the field.

There is no way that Brunell can play the whole season like he did this year. We were very fortunate that he lasted in there as long as he did. Campbell needs to be in the film room all offseason, and learn this offense. He is going to be a stud in this league and needs playing time to get better.

I have no idea how smart Campbell is, and by smart I mean his ability to read NFL defenses and make the right throw to our players and not the other team. However, it does appear that Jason is an accurate passer. Looking at the great QB's they all throw accurate passes. I like Brunell, but he is only getting older and I don't think he can last an entire season behind the center. My biggest problem with Ramsey is his accuracy. I think he has developed as a QB and manages the game better than he used too, but Gibbs pulled him because of his errant throws. I don't think Gibbs is going to hand the ball to Jason, but I hope he gets lots of off-season work and is the #2 QB. Campbell is still unproven, but this staff did draft him so they must think he can play the position. If they think he is the future I would bring in a young guy and a veteran to compete for the #3 spot. Brunell is not going to last forever.

It doesn't matter what tools you have if you don't use them. I hope Gibbs gets more confident in the passing game in the offseason, because it's obvious he had no confidence in it in these last few weeks.

The Steelers opening drives against the Colts were what I was expecting out of Gibbs against the Seahawks- going vertically against a defense that has 8 and 9 guys in the box. I realize that field position wasn't ideal, but I was disappointed when we saw the offensive gameplan for 3 straight week.

I agree with you 100%, I thought the same thing watching the steelers game. I loved there game plan, everyone just knew that they was going to run, but no they didnt. They put the game in Big Bens hands. I wish we came out the same way, by putting the game in Brunells, Moss and Cooley hands. I would of took the crowd out the game just like the Steelers did. The whole first half we ran the ball and went 3 and out. We had a 3 point lead we could of went up more. If we open up the offense more with that lead, we could of won. I think our defense did enough and SP teams. We had 3 turnovers and did nothing with them. Im very proud of this team. Our offense look much better then last year. I just really hope Jason Campbell is our QB next year, he will get our offense where it needs to be. Which is more balance.

Does anyone remember when Gibbs used to dare teams to stack the box on his teams?? Brunell woulkd make a great backup with his leadership etc.. Ramsey deserves to be allowed to learn without fear of being benched for 1 mistake. Brunell made all of the mistakes and then some that Ramsey supposedly makes. If we let Ramsey go I think we will regret it.

Signs of intelligent life!!!

Being new around here I got ripped to shreds stating the obvious about St. Mark.

My WHOLE beef is had Joe simply given Pat the first 3-5 games you then have:

1. A clear picture if Pat would be the guy or not because it is his 'magical' fourth year when so many QB's really get it, including one Mark Brunell and Ramsey would have had the same team health and year under the belt benefit Mark got.

2. If, after 3-5 games Patrick is struggling too much, you then have a FRESH 36 year old vet who might have had something left in the tank right now had he not played basically the whole season.

As it is, Gibbs wouldn't even give the back ups say, the second 1/2 against the 49ers or the fourth quarter v. Dallas here at home.

So now, we know another year older Brunel is NOT another year better and we still don't know about Ramsey.

So we start 2006 handicapped with a new guy in any event except the unthinkable; staying with Brunell.

Which is what will likely happen because Gibbs holds Mark to a different standard than anyone else on the team.

So, hello fellow masters of the obvious!

you know why I am so pissed that Joe didn't bring in Ramsey to start the second half? Because of the way he benched Ramsey in the first place. Here is a QB that had a 41 yards passing performance in the week before, he is terrible against an average secondary at best for an entire half and still he sticks with him.

Right or wrong it was because he had games in him like the Dallas game where he brought us back late in the game for the win. Did it a few times this year, and you have to give him credit if it wasn't for a great play by the seahawks cb would have done it again.

Well put Larry well put. What drives me crazy is Ramsey was picking the Bears apart in week 1. Later we learn the Bears were/are a very good defense. Patrick throws a int (on a good defensive play) and fumbles when he gets cheap shotted to the head. PR gets sentenced to the bench and Brunell makes the same mistakes over and over plus some and faces no repercussions. You hit the nail on the head when you said Brunell plays by a different set of rules.

Everyone brings up Brunell leading us back against Dallas. Very exciting very enjoyable, the reason we needed that comeback was because Brunell was so brutal for 53 minutes of the game and Moss had more to do with that 14 pt surge then Brunell. Go back and watch the game again youll see my pt.

The one thing that I see that is different is that yes Carolina has a better QB but also they have other WR that can make catches like Ricky Proehl (who catches just about everything) and Drew Carter who I think will start to do some things for them. And if Keary Colbert start to play better they have something good going. All I think they need is a better tight end and they will be really dangerous. I think the Redskins need a #2 and have Patten as our #3 and #4 James then we will be in good position and also we need a change at QB.

Signs of intelligent life!!!

Being new around here I got ripped to shreds stating the obvious about St. Mark.

My WHOLE beef is had Joe simply given Pat the first 3-5 games you then have:

1. A clear picture if Pat would be the guy or not because it is his 'magical' fourth year when so many QB's really get it, including one Mark Brunell and Ramsey would have had the same team health and year under the belt benefit Mark got.

2. If, after 3-5 games Patrick is struggling too much, you then have a FRESH 36 year old vet who might have had something left in the tank right now had he not played basically the whole season.

As it is, Gibbs wouldn't even give the back ups say, the second 1/2 against the 49ers or the fourth quarter v. Dallas here at home.

So now, we know another year older Brunel is NOT another year better and we still don't know about Ramsey.

So we start 2006 handicapped with a new guy in any event except the unthinkable; staying with Brunell.

Which is what will likely happen because Gibbs holds Mark to a different standard than anyone else on the team.

So, hello fellow masters of the obvious!

NO!! you got ripped to shreads for slamming anyone who thought it was a good season dispite not winning a Super Bowl, not for your not so new views on Brunell. Then you just regressed into a childish display of arrogance. Post after post after post.

Watching the offense struggle these last few games has been tough for all Skins fans. People have questioned Gibbs, Portis, the scheme, members of the oline. Just about everybody involved with the Skins offense has been bashed on here since the loss to Seattle. I wonder if anyone being so critical of Gibbs and his offense has been watching the Panthers....

:logo:

GSF great observation, I too was thinking the same thing when I was watching the bears game. Carolina was down to using their 3rd and 4th string RB's scoring close to 30 against the bears D, and the panthers have really one top flight WR (who looks a lot like our #89) and proehl who is adequate but nothing special.

They have a QB that can go deep...

:logo:

Trick question guys, how many games did QB who started their first playoff game win this year.

This is why Mark is our QB and will be next year, Jason will start in 2007 when Gibbs is gone.

Sorry but Steve Smith is on a different level then any other WR, it isn't even close.

We have a better running game but we do not have Steve Smith.

Moss is great, but Steve Smith is out of this world.

you know if Carlina were healthy I would give them the edge on the running game, even the 3rd string Rb on that team runs for 100 games all the time

Smith yesterday made CBs fall all over the place, never have I seen a WR just dominate like he did, even more then Rice.

He had no confidence because he didn't have the tools. He knows Brunell can't make the throws. On top of that, he had nothing at receiver after Moss.

Gibbs knew his only hope was to keep it close, and hope to get the running game going and get some turnovers.

He had no confidence because he didn't have the tools. He knows Brunell can't make the throws. On top of that, he had nothing at receiver after Moss.

Gibbs knew his only hope was to keep it close, and hope to get the running game going and get some turnovers.

Once Gibbs opened it up in the second half Mark had 200 yards passing, not including the TD Moss should have had, so he can make the throws, Gibbs did not believe in the OL

Guys, Carolina's OL is way better than ours... and anyone who understands football, especially in the smashmouth NFC, will tell you that your QB is only as good as his OL. Given that, Brunnel was walking on his last leg but considering Ramesey's history of throwing stupid picks, Gibbs was never going to replace Brunel unless Brunnel took himself out of the game. Burnnel was limited but he won us 11 games and threw 24TD's this season with about 14picks (nearly 2:1 ratio). So given our limitations on offense (OL with no depth, 1WR, injured RB - with no capable backup being that Betts was a no-show, & No pass rusher compared to Carolina's Peppers, Bruckner, et al), we did well to win 11 games. My hope is that Gibbs gets Campbell up to speed ASAP. Knowing Gibbs, the 'rookie' will not start but by week 4 or 5, I expect him to be ready to take the keys... With an improved OL + Portis + FA WR + Moss + Cooley, Campbell should be good to go in 2006.

Archived