Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why don't teams ever just go with a kicker who can both Punt and Kick FG's?

michael_33

I ask this question for a couple of reasons...

#1)If you could find a guy who could both Kick FG's and punt,this would allow you to add another position on the roster for depth...

As far as I know...there is no rule that says you have to carry a punter and a kicker on the 53 man roster...Is there?

I myself Am/was a very good Punter,but I also could kick FG's pretty well....

Granted...I'm not Adam Vinterri,nor am I an NFL prospect....but surely somebody out there could do both...Right?

#2)There have quite a few 2 point conversions successfully attempted and made this year...(urg...1 against us..)

If you just made 50% of all your 2 point conversions...that would be the equivalent of 100% of all PAT's made...I'm really surprise no errogant coach has thought of or tried this more often....

Just think for a second....if you scored 3 TD's and made all 3 successful 2point conversions...you got quite an advantage there at 24 points...

Same as 3 TD's and a FG (with the PAT of course)

So in reality...all you need to do is get a guy who can punt...kick FG's and Kick off fairly good and could add maybe another CB,WR or whatever to the roster...

Course that leaves us under the BUS...Both our kickers can't do either...

What do you guys think about my observation...?

two different motions/skills. look at lineman--- guards and tackles and centers arent even interchangeable.

Actually...I couldn't disagree more..

I've been punting my whole life because I love kicking the football...I also love kicking the ball between the uprights...

If someone with a good leg enjoys both and is pretty good at both,then I think they are very interchangable...

Shoot...randall cunningham was better than their own punter back in the day...Flutie can drop kick a ball in the uprights?

How could a kicker not be great at both positions?

two different motions/skills. look at lineman--- guards and tackles and centers arent even interchangeable.

Actually...I couldn't disagree more..

I've been punting my whole life because I love kicking the football...I also love kicking the ball between the uprights...

If someone with a good leg enjoys both and is pretty good at both,then I think they are very interchangable...

Shoot...randall cunningham was better than their own punter back in the day...Flutie can drop kick a ball in the uprights?

How could a kicker not be great at both positions?

well, if Viniateri was good at punting, he probably would be.

Steve Cox, a punter, used to kick the long field goals for the Redskins. I remember him booting a 55-yarder in a game. They showed Moseley on the sideline during the replay and you could see him mouth the words, "Oh my God!"

Still, the Redskins carried a punter and a kicker at that time. Albeit the kicker was also a former league MVP.

*edit* Just double checked, that was actually a 60-yarder Cox hit...against the Bengals.

Truth be told, not much. Sorry....

Re one kicker, it's been tried a number of times at the pro level. It never works out well, at least, not for long. Even if you can find someone who does both well enough at the professional level, if he goes down hurt, chances are you have to waive two guys in the middle of a season to make room for the replacements.

Re criticizing professional coaches on not going for 2 every time, you assume a team that tries it every time will be successful at least 50% of the time. That hasn't been the experience throughout the NFL. Although the success rate is trending up over the past season or so, 2-pt conversations in the NFL only have a 43% success rate since the rule was put in place. In the same time frame, the success rate on kicking an extra point is 94%. The math gets complicated when you start weighting results & outcomes but you can keep it simple by saying that, for every 10 touchdowns scored, kicking the extra point every time yields 9.4 points while going for 2 every time yields 8.6 points.

Last time I checked 9.4 > 8.6.....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

yes but your 9.4>8.6 is also quite deceiving?No?

Since your 43% is a good start for avg.

What if 2/3 of those was against Denver this year...21-21 OT play?

1/5 against the bucs would have forced gruden to go for 2 which they got...36-36 OT play...

3/8 so far...

and 2 more wins...

(note...I'm going by percentages and not situations..)

I'd have done the 2 point conversion thing in Riggins day no doubt. Can you imagine if they had the 2 pt conversions back in Riggins' days? I would take Riggins for 2 pt conversion over anyone including Barry, Payton, J.Brown.

I've seen some kickers coming out of college do both, but no one seems to be able to excell at both. You would think it would give you a real leg up on breaking into the NFL. I wonder if it is just too competitive at the NFL level.

yes but your 9.4>8.6 is also quite deceiving?No?

Since your 43% is a good start for avg.

What if 2/3 of those was against Denver this year...21-21 OT play?

1/5 against the bucs would have forced gruden to go for 2 which they got...36-36 OT play...

3/8 so far...

and 2 more wins...

(note...I'm going by percentages and not situations..)

It's not deceiving, it's math. If that's over your head, nothing I can do about that. I suppose that's what I get for fighting a battle of wits with an unarmed man.....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Steve Cox, a punter, used to kick the long field goals for the Redskins. I remember him booting a 55-yarder in a game. They showed Moseley on the sideline during the replay and you could see him mouth the words, "Oh my God!"

Still, the Redskins carried a punter and a kicker at that time. Albeit the kicker was also a former league MVP.

*edit* Just double checked, that was actually a 60-yarder Cox hit...against the Bengals.

Cox could hit the long ones, but was horrible inside 50,

Kicking & punting are two different motions , skill... few if any can do both at NFL level....

the Titans punter kicked fg when their pk was injured a couple years ago

Archived