Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you think Brunell will be able to get the ball downfield in 2006?

NoCalMike

Forget his smarts, his leadership, his accuracy etc......I only want this thread focused on ONE intangible, and that is Brunell's ability to get the ball downfield.

There have been a lot of times during this season AND playoff games, where we have seen Santana Moss beating his defender by at least two steps. Brunell sees this, chucks the ball, and Moss has to stop or slow down, and try to play Three Flys Up with the defender to get the ball. Hell yesterday on the TD pass to Moss, when they show the replay. Moss was open with his hand up waiving at Mark to throw him the ball, and by the time Brunell's toss gets down there, the defender had caught to tip, and nearly intercept it.

I don't care if you are a Brunell fan or not. This has got to be a major a concern going into 2006, no matter who YOU FEEL should be the QB. I think this season we got away with it because teams were more focused on not letting Moss get behind them, however once game tape is watched and analyzed, defensive coordinators are going to notice the trend of Brunell severely underthrowing the deep ball.

I am not calling for Ramsey to start, or even Campbell to get thrown in there, however from a fan's standpoint, what is the solution to this? I mean not being able to get the ball downfield when you have a guy that is threat to take it to the house on every play is basically handicapping the offense. If Brunell remains the starter in 2006, then how exactly do we approach this problem area in our offense?

His arm strength is there, but more often than not, he isn't too accurate throwing downfield. On seam routes down the sideline, he always throws the ball out of bounds. Just something i've noticed.

At the beginning of the year, he was throwing the deep ball very accurate, then the injuries came in..

At the beginning of the year' date=' he was throwing the deep ball very accurate, then the injuries came in..[/quote']

MB long pass are mostly either floaters or touch pass. Don't really need arm strength for them. What we need are fast / zip passes into a little crease which he can't do. Maybe that's the reason why he's so caution when throwing deep balls to unopen WR, and thus, settles for lots of dump offs / throw aways.

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson don't have deep ball accuracy and yet were able to win Super Bowls. I think Brunell is capable of winning games if he is given protection, and when you see Chris Samuels out there on Simeon Rice one on one you have to question some of the strategy. You need to give Samuels help by having the TE chip on the defender.

Giving Brunell a second receiver who can catch the ball (some other teams like the Colts and Bengals have 3 or 4 guys who are reliable receivers) would definitely help :)

MB long pass are mostly either floaters or touch pass. Don't really need arm strength for them. What we need are fast / zip passes into a little crease which he can't do. Maybe that's the reason why he's so caution when throwing deep and settles for lots of dump offs / throw aways.

Yeah I was talking about the deep passes that would settle in the recievers arms, on time...I wasn't saying that he had a cannon and would rifle a ball in between defenders..

Mark can definitely get the job done in 2006. Our offensive line just needs to stay healthy and protect him---since he can't scramble like he used to.

BTW, i think Ramsey should look for a job elsewhere. Campbell needs to takeover whenever Brunell is done...we don't want to lose Jason to another team!

Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson don't have deep ball accuracy and yet were able to win Super Bowls. I think Brunell is capable of winning games if he is given protection, and when you see Chris Samuels out there on Simeon Rice one on one you have to question some of the strategy. You need to give Samuels help by having the TE chip on the defender.

Giving Brunell a second receiver who can catch the ball (some other teams like the Colts and Bengals have 3 or 4 guys who are reliable receivers) would definitely help :)

Dilfer and Johnson had little to do with those teams winning SBs. Those two teams mainly won because of their defenses. I think either of those teams would've still won even if they had Jeff George as their QB.

I don't think getting the ball the down field will be the issue. I think the issue is can Brunell stay healthy for entire season? I don't think he can. When he gets nicked, it takes him longer to heal than it used to, and he now also seems to have stamina issues. He was clearly running out of gas during the home stretch of the season. It's time for some younger blood at the QB position.

Archived