Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This years draft

JoeKnowsBest

I really hope we can get a first round pick somehow. This years draft is LOADED with monster talent! Wich is one of the reason the trade with Denver to get Campbell baffles me still to this day. We knew last years draft was an off year talent wise, and we knew that this years draft would be loaded, plus that Campbell would only be a 3rd string QB for us this year. So all that added up just doesn't make sense trading away this years first round pick.

How do you guys see us working this years draft? There are ALOT of great players to be had in this draft, but most of them will go in the first round. Do you think we can get a first round pick, or even a higher 2nd? And do you think we even will try to?

And what would you go for? How do we get it?

My dellema is this... As much as I want a first round pick, I can't see trading Ramsey as a good thing, and I doubt he'll even bring a first round pick. He's learned the offense, and has recovered from his happy feet fears that Steve Spurrier is to blame for. With Brunell noticably aging and getting dinged up easier, having Ramsey around can be nothing but a good thing. Same with Lavar. Lavar is the man. He needs to stay. He's a good friend to key players on this team. And he's shown he's come on strong during the end of the season.

At any rate, if our front office can work some genious, I would try and pick up Mario Williams or Halo Ngati. But most importantly, somehow we need to get a second reciever threat!

I think Brunell has one more season left, he will compete with Campbell.

We will trade Ramsey for a 3rd round pick with a team who needs a reliable backup or even a decent starter.

We might trade up for some picks but Im not sure we will.

Look for us to sign a #2 WR (Eric Moulds, Reggie Wayne)

And I would love to see the skins release Hall and sign Novak. :D

First off, I will say that Jason Campbell is just as good if not better as far as technique is concerned, compared to any QB in this years draft. Giving up the #1 was risky, because everyone thought we were going to have a bad year, but Gibbs knew what he was doing. He has the guy he wants. I'm cool with that.

Secondly, because this draft is deep with talent at many positions, its quite possible that our front office and scouts will find some great guys with our later pics. We only have a few GLARING needs. We can get a #2 receiver or a good DE in round 2. We can get O-linemen later in the draft. We can get backup D-linemen later in the draft.

I'm personally very comfortable with the deal we made for JC.

You are right about this draft being loaded. Especially at Linebacker. If we can't keep LaVar, we should trade him for a mid-low first and get Chad Greenway from Iowa or Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State. Both are studs.

Abdul Hodge from Iowa is another name to consider. Crazy how 5 linebackers in the top 10 LBs this year are from Iowa and Ohio State.

Lots of decisions to be made. Assuming Arrington goes, we'll need a starting weakside 'backer. Maybe Williams can make something of Chris Clemons or maybe McCune steps up and Marshall moves back outside. Linebackers seem to be easy to come by since Williams has been around.

Definitely a possession receiver. Martin Nance or Stovall look like nice prospects. Greg Jennings looks like he could be a really good one if we want another smurf.

Also a utility lineman to replace Ray Brown and a backup center to displace Raymer, and a defensive end (I'd like to bring in Cory Redding from the Lions).

Moulds would be a nice complement.

I disagree. He's old, and he's disgruntelled, and even when he wasn't he didn't have that great of production. He's over rated. I like Reggie Wayne, Joe Jeriviscious and Randel El from the free agent list.

TaylorPickSix, AJ Hawk is the best linebacker from those schools.

I disagree. He's old, and he's disgruntelled, and even when he wasn't he didn't have that great of production. He's over rated. I like Reggie Wayne, Joe Jeriviscious and Randel El from the free agent list.

as much as i like reggie wayne...i just don't think he'll leave the colts...plus i see him more of a #1 reciever so even if he did leave...he wouldn't come here...jmo

Hawk will go early so it really doesn't matter. I seriously don't see us getting a 1st rd. pick this year for anybody that we will unload off the team

The Wide receiver prospects aren't very good, Santonio Holmes, Derek Hagan and Demtrius Williams are the only ones worth looking at with a first-round pick. I'm certain that they can sign a vet, or use a third-round pick on a receiver. As much as I like Lavar, he does not fit in at all with this team. I would be all up for trading him for a better pick, hopefully a first-rounder, and use that on another linebacker

Here's the addressable needs by position

CB

WR

LB (If Aarington is traded)

DE

TE

Let's wait until the "stuff test" before any specific names.

]']i say we get darryl tapp in the second' date=' and sign kevin curtis, and another wr (possesion type). phillip daniels is coming on, so tapp could take over for renaldo wynn.[/quote']

I checked around the net, and most places are projecting Darryl tap to be a 3rd or 4th round pick, and some are even suggesting he's only worth a 5th round selection. Apparantly he's not as great as some of us (who are partial to virginia) would like to think. This is according to the scout sites that do the draft thing for a living. On some boards he's ranked about 6th-7th on the list of Defensive Ends.

We should try and move up to get Mario Williams. There's no doubt this guy will be every thing Julius Peppers has become.

Kiwanuka has dropped dramatically, and many say that he needs ALOT of work and that he was over rated.

I was also looking at the list of Linebackers, and it would be too hard to replace Lavar. We would be wasting a pick and there's really no good linebackers comming out in the free agent market.

When it comes to the draft, you have to look at what your needs are. Right now the Redskins need a WR to compliment Santana Moss and a rushing DE. There are quite a few WRs and DE coming out in this year's draft. Unfortunately we don't have a first round pick because we used it to get Jason Campbell, who is being mentored and coached into the offense like Mark Rypien and Stan Humphries were. Picking him 25th overall last year was a good selection because he can learn from an aging Brunell and be there to play once Brunell steps down. Ramsey may be traded for a 2nd or perhaps third round draft choice.

I think the only way we get a first round pick for Lavar is to package him with other picks or Ramsey. Even then, his contract situation is terrible, so a team would get slammed on the cap if they couldn't rework his deal. The ideal would be to renegotiate his contract or release/resign (I don't think he'd resign in this situation though). I think the most we'll get for Ramsey by himself is a 3rd. I would like to see them pick up a DE in the 2nd, an O Lineman in the 3rd, a Tight End in the 5th, pick up a wideout and a CB in free agency, and get rid of Walt Harris, John Hall, Derrick Frost, Taylor Jacobs and Corey Raymer

I think we should keep Corey Raymer. We need depth at Center and he's good at that position. You have to keep in mind that he was playing out of position yesterday, and it was probably the first time in his entire life that he's played Guard. He just got thrown into the fire unexpectadely for the first time with out even having any hint he'd be doing that, or even getting the practice for it.

This years draft is extremely deep overall, so not having a first is not so bad as there will be 1st round talent available in the 2nd round when the skins pick.

Personally, I think the skin front office has finally seen the light and they will draft a DL early this yr, whether it be in the 2nd or 3rd.

At DE, one of Elvis Dumervil (LOU), Stanley McClover (AUB) or Ray Edwards (PUR) will be available in the 2nd.

Also look for the OL to be an infusion of youth, prfereably a versatile player like Taitusi Lutui (USC) who can paly multiple positions.

A CB who can also return kicks like Will Blackmon (BC) or Charles Gordon (KAN) would also be a good pick as Williams cant seem to have enough DB's.

Archived