Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Analysis of Every Player on Offense for 2005

Joncevensen

I have spent the past three hours putting together this analysis of most, if not all, of the players on the offensive side of the ball this year. I know it is long but read it and tell me what you think of it.

QB Mark Brunell

Brunell was the thirteenth best QB in the NFL and fifth best in the NFC based on the passer rating system. He passed for over 3,000 yards; the first Redskin QB to do so since Brad Johnson did in 1999. He passed for 23 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions playing in all 16 regular season games. This TD/INT ratio was a huge improvement over recent years (2004: Ramsey 10/11 in 9 games and Brunell: 7/6 in 9 games, 2003: Ramsey 14/9 in 10 games). Brunell had been forgotten coming into 2005 as a finished QB and ended up having the fourth best year of his career (by passer rating).

Brunell will begin 2006 as the Redskins starting QB and will remain the starter unless his body breaks down. Brunell no longer is a dual threat QB but he makes very few mistakes. The key to Brunell’s 2006 season being a success is for him to stay healthy and limit his mistakes.

QB Patrick Ramsey

Ramsey came into 2005 the starter but an injury in week one knocked him out of the lineup and Brunell’s performance kept him out of the lineup. Ramsey was excellent in relief in week 16 when Brunell tore his MCL and had to leave the game. Ramsey took control of the team and secured a must win for the Redskins against the Giants.

Ramsey will be the #2 quarterback for the Redskins in 2006 barring a trade. Ramsey appears to be ready to finally take the next step as a professional quarterback after four years of getting clobbered due to porous pass protection schemes under Steve Spurrier and sitting on the bench under Joe Gibbs. Ramsey’s contract expires after the 2006 season and he probably will get plenty of time to add to his resume due to Brunell’s age the injuries that come with it. The Redskins need Ramsey to play like a starter in 2006 because without 2 NFL quality quarterbacks the Redskins may end up being the reincarnation of the 2005 Jets (good defense, good offense, no QB).

QB Jason Campbell

Campbell never saw the field in 2005 but learned a lot just by practicing, game planning, and being on the sideline during the season.

Campbell needs to absorb what he learned in 2005 and increase his learning curve because he will probably be the starter in 2007 if not 2006 due to injury to Brunell, Ramsey, or playoff elimination.

RB Clinton Portis

Portis set the Redskins single season rushing record with 1,516 yards in 2005 while averaging 4.3 yards a carry on a carry high 352 carries. Portis gained 20 pounds prior to the season which helped dull the beating he took under Joe Gibb’s physical running attack. Portis also provided excellent pass protection in 2005

Portis needs to get healthy in the offseason and gain some more weight to help prevent the injuries that occurred to him down the stretch in 2005. Portis must also attempt to cut down on the number of hits he takes in a game because he is not a big back. Portis should continue his incredible career in 2006 barring injury. I see Portis running for over 1,000 yards for the fifth straight year if he and the offensive line can stay healthy.

RB Ladell Betts

Despite being injured for four games in 2005 Ladell Betts continued to prove that he is an NFL running back. He ran for 338 yards on 89 carries; an average of 3.8 yards per carry. Betts physical style of running spelled Portis quick style of running very well. Betts seized his opportunities in 2005 and is setting himself up to become premier free agent after the 2006 season.

Betts goals for the 2006 season are to stay healthy, and continue his progress as a running back. Betts has to learn to run to the outside. The Redskins will count on Betts for 100 carries or more depending on the free agent status of Rock Cartwright and the health of Clinton Portis so Betts need to be prepared to take the beating of an every down back in 2006.

RB Rock Cartwright

Rock’s season had its ups and downs. Rock’s fumble that was return for a touchdown was Kansas City’s margin of victory in the fifth game of the season while Rocks incredible 9 carries for 118 yards in the St. Louis game helped the Redskins start their streak of 5 straight wins to close out the regular season. Overall Rock’s season was a success with his 27 carries for 199 yards resulting in a gaudy 7.4 yards per carry average and his incredible special teams play.

Rock is an unrestricted free agent after 2005 but he will hopefully return to the Redskins. If he does not return, his running back duties will fall on Nemo but his loss on special teams would be felt. If Rock does return, it will be to an increased role in the running game as the Redskins offense is based around the running game and both Betts and Portis suffered injuries in 2005 that can be contributed to wear and tear as the season winded down. Do not be surprised if you see Rock getting the ball five times a game in 2006.

RB Nehemiah Broughton

Nemo had an incredible preseason and earned himself a spot on the 53 man roster as the fourth running back as a seventh round pick out of Citadel. Nemo worked hard but due to the three running backs in front of him, Nemo rarely saw action in games anywhere but special teams.

Nemo will become the short yardage running back in 2006 provided that no other running backs out perform him in training camp. Nemo must continue to work hard in 2006 as he slowly builds a niche in the Redskins offense just as Rock worked hard as he slowly built a role on the Redskins as a quality special teams player and a good backup running back.

H-Back Chris Cooley

Chris Cooley had a break out year in 2005 as defenses finally began to game plan for him. This resulted in reduced stats in the playoffs and the last game of the season. He also broke the Redskins record for catches by a tight end. Chris Cooley also earned a reputation after he got two cheerleaders kicked off the squad for “fraternizing with a player”.

Chris Cooley needs to take his Pro Bowl snub in 2005 and use it as motivation to do better in 2006 as he becomes the #2 option in the passing game. He must also continue to work hard and not let his personal affairs affect his work. This is a contract year for Chris Cooley because if he continues his rise into the NFL’s elite the Redskins will probably approach him about a contract extension so that they do not risk losing him after the 2007 season in free agency or as a restricted free agent in 2006.

H-Back Mike Sellers

Sellers resurrected his career with his performance in 2005 as the Redskins goal line receiver. He also contributed on special teams.

Sellers must continue to work hard and stay out of trouble in 2006. Sellers will also see an increased role in the offense next year as he continues to showcase his skills on the field.

TE Robert Royal

Despite his family being in Louisiana during Katrina and a poor performance against San Diego Robert Royal still managed to perform well for the Redskins in his second full season playing for the Redskins.

Royal is an unrestricted free agent who may not be back in 2006. If he is it will be on a minimum salary contract. Royal must work on his hands and continue to stay injury free in 2006.

TE Brian Kozlowski

Kozlowski contributed on special teams and as a blocker in 2005; roles he excelled in.

While Kozlowski seems to be able to still play, it may be time for him to retire. He is an unrestricted free agent and the Redskins probably will not resign him. If the Redskins resign him Kozlowski must get in shape and be prepared for a larger role due to the possibility that Robert Royal will not be back, but the odds are not good for his return.

WR Santana Moss

Moss had a breakout year in 2005 shattering expectation and breaking the Redskins record for receiving yards in a season. Moss made his first pro bowl and became one of the NFL’s elite wide receivers.

Moss must continue his performance as the Redskins #1 wide receiver in order for the Redskins to be successful in 2006. Moss must learn how to beat double and triple coverage because barring the signing of a marquee wide receiver he will see them in 2006.

WR James Thrash

Thrash had a good year as third wide receiver and has a special teams player. Thrash did not fumble any returns in 2005. He played a major role on kick coverage teams alongside Rock and Sellers.

Thrash must continue his superb special teams play and work on his route running as a wide receiver.

WR Antonio Brown

Brown fumbled a kick off in week one and was released but resigned later in the season. He never recovered from that fumble and never developed into the receiver the Redskins had hoped for after a stellar preseason.

If Brown returns to the Redskins it will be on a short leash. He needs to work on holding onto the ball if he has any hopes to continue his career in the NFL.

WR Taylor Jacobs

In practice Jacobs was playing like Jerry Rice but that Jacobs was not showing up on Sundays. Jacobs got his first extensive action in the NFL as the Redskins #2 receiver midway through 2005 but only caught 11 passes.

Jacobs contract expires after 2006 and if he wants to get an opportunity he needs to work on his catching (he dropped an easy ball in the first quarter of the Seattle playoff game that would have been a first down) and getting open. Jacobs has potential but he needs to realize in 2006. It’s do or die time for Jacobs.

WR David Patten

Patten’s contribution was overshadowed by Moss’s in 2005, but he was a reliable #2 wide receiver until his injury.

Patten must rehab from his injury and step in as the #2 WR in 2006 to help draw coverage away from Moss.

WR Jimmy Farris

Farris came in midway through the season and immediately made an impact as the fourth receiver.

Farris will be back in 2006 if he is not once again caught in a numbers crunch in training camp. Farris needs to work on getting open so that he can get a more important role in the passing game.

LT Chris Samuels

Samuels signed a contract extension before 2005 and went out and earned himself a trip to Hawaii. What else is there to be said?

Samuels needs to work on his pass blocking because he will be protecting the blind side of Ramsey and Campbell (in time) when they are in the game.

LG Derrick Dockery

Dockery received a lot of flak from the fans for false start penalties and giving up sacks, but when it counted in the last seven weeks of the Redskins season Dockery came through as the Redskins thought he would when they ranked him as the 18th player on their draft board in 2003. Dockery silenced the calls for a new LG and secured his job for 2006.

Dockery must improve his pass protection in 2006. He can run block flawlessly but he must learn to handle blitzes. He needs to cut down on his false start penalties. Dockery’s contract expires after 2006 and his performance will dictate whether the Redskins found their LG for the decade when they drafted him or if they instead found a lineman full of potential that never could adjust to the guard position.

C Casey Rabach

Rabach came to the Redskins as a free agent and proved he was an upgrade at center.

Rabach must improve his knowledge of the playbook in 2006 because at times in 2005 it was clear that he had no idea what to do.

RG Randy Thomas

Randy Thomas played at a Pro Bowl level in 2005 only to break his leg during the glorious victory over Dallas in December. Thomas secured Brunell’s blindside in pass protection and was Portis lead blocker on many outside run plays.

Randy Thomas needs to rehabilitate his broken leg in the offseason so he can return to his all-pro form in 2006. Thomas is a complete player that the Redskins need to stay healthy in 2006.

RT Jon Jansen

Jansen came back from his Achilles tendon injury in 2005 and immediately upgraded the running game and the pass protection for Brunell by protecting Brunell’s blindside. Portis improvement in 2005 was no doubt aided by Jansen’s return to the starting lineup and Jansen’s return to pro bowl form. Unfortunately, Jansen was once again snubbed for the Pro Bowl despite the many knowledgeable Redskins fans who believe he is a better player then Samuels.

Jansen must stay healthy in 2006. If he can stay healthy then the Redskins have a chance to control the line of scrimmage.

OL Ray Brown

At the young age of 43 Ray Brown stepped in to the void left by Randy Thomas injury and performed very well as a back up. If this was his last season, then he will go out on top.

If the immortal Ray Brown returns in 2006 he will remain in his role as the mentor and as the #3 G and T on the OL.

T Molinaro

Molinaro continued his maturation into a NFL tackle in 2005 but never got significant playing time due to the All Pro pair of Samuels and Jansen.

Molinaro must be ready to play extensively in 2006 because he will most likely become the #3 tackle on the team.

C Corey Raymer

Raymer’s age began to show in 2005. The drop off in production was very clear when Raymer and not Rabach was in the game.

Raymer must learn to hide his age or else lose his role on the Redskins in 2006.

LS Ethan Albright

Albright was never in the news, and that means he did not mess up a snap.

Albright just has to stay healthy and keep on snapping. As long as he does not mess up a snap, the Redskins will give him a roster spot without competition.

K John Hall

Hall once again injured his quad and the effect was dramatic. Hall no longer could kick 50 yard field goal with ease let alone get touchbacks on kick offs.

Hall must rehabilitate his quad and stay healthy. If he cannot regain his strength he may find himself on another team. The missed 36 yard FG in Seattle did not help his cause either.

well done, good analysis

i disagree with what you said about patten though - i think he was a disappointment

I dont think Patten met our expectations either but I looked at the stats and noticed something, Patten was fourth in receptions even though he only played nine games, and he was third in receiving yards even though he only played nine games. Moss was not getting double covered when Patton was playing because Patten could catch 2 or three balls for fifteen yards each and make the defense take that extra defender off moss.

QB Mark Brunell

Brunell will begin 2006 as the Redskins starting QB and will remain the starter unless his body breaks down. Brunell no longer is a dual threat QB but he makes very few mistakes.

very few mistakes? are you serious? let's see.......he could've ran the ball into the endzone in the 3rd, but threw it away instead. not to mention, i crap my pants everytime he gets hit, because he led the league in fumbles for the 4th straight year. good stat, congratulations mark. you still and always will suck.

I think you hit most of them on the head. But Farris won't be back. ANd Patten was decent as a number two, Brunell just got that chemistry thing going with Santana and never looked Pattens way much. But people still had to cover him,and that is what we lacked the second part of the season

As Ray Brown retires and Cory Raymer is cut, we must go sign veteran free agents to replace these guys as backups. If a starting guard or Rabach were to get hurt, I would not trust rookies to step in for these guys admirably.

I think Ramsey may probably be on his way out to. Why? Let's get something for him while we still can. Add this to a superb 2006 QB FA class and I think Ramsey is on his way out.

Although Patten is a disappointment, I think he would thrive as a no. 3 receiver with his speed and savvy. I think Jacobs should either be packaged with Ramsey (to be Smith's no. 2 and "mentor") in a trade for a no. 2 receiver (cough...Brandon Lloyd...cough) or cut.

Why Lloyd? I have questions about Jurevicius and Moulds. These two are old players who would not be here long enough to form a rapport with our QBs. Wayne I guess is going to cost too much. I really really like Lloyd. Sometimes, he does boneheaded things but this guy has real skills. He has excellent deep ball awareness and would make sure Moss is not double covered. Lloyd will not be cheap but he won't be overly costly either. Imagine a receiving trio of Moss, Lloyd, and Patten. Toasted cornerbacks baby

very few mistakes? are you serious? let's see.......he could've ran the ball into the endzone in the 3rd, but threw it away instead. not to mention, i crap my pants everytime he gets hit, because he led the league in fumbles for the 4th straight year. good stat, congratulations mark. you still and always will suck.

Brunell's knee probably had not fully healed, and even if he had been 25 he probably would not have run the ball in. Brunell was not about to subject himself to a massive hit if he thought he had a shot at moss, which he clearly thought he did cuz if he did not think so he would have thrown the ball out of moss's jumping range

I think Ramsey may probably be on his way out to. Why? Let's get something for him while we still can. Add this to a superb 2006 QB FA class and I think Ramsey is on his way out.

I think the logic is flawed that the Redskins would trade Ramsey and then pick up a free agent QB. Ramsey's contract is at minimum salary, and he is a serviceable backup as he showed in the giants game (second one).

In the Giants (2nd) game Brunell had to leave the game with a sprained MCL, a sprain can be a stretching of the ligament, or a tear. He also has had reconstructive surgery on the same knee early in his career.

Yeah, I know he left the Giants game :doh:, I was there. I thought he sprained his knee...I'm pretty sure he didn't tear it. You don't contemplate coming back into the game on a torn MCL. A tear is much worse than a sprain...and I didn't read anything about a tear. :whoknows:

Yeah, I know he left the Giants game :doh:, I was there. I thought he sprained his knee...I'm pretty sure he didn't tear it. You don't contemplate coming back into the game on a torn MCL. A tear is much worse than a sprain...and I didn't read anything about a tear. :whoknows:

It was a must win game, if he could have gone back in, he would have. I think it was like Brad Johnson's injury in the Titans game in 2000 were he partially tore his MCL and it was called a class 2 sprain.

As Ray Brown retires and Cory Raymer is cut, we must go sign veteran free agents to replace these guys as backups. If a starting guard or Rabach were to get hurt, I would not trust rookies to step in for these guys admirably.

I think actually we will pick a C that can also play G on day 2 of the draft to backup Rabach and be one of the backup G. The coaching staff may take an extended look at Ndukwe (backup G) who was picked up part way through the season

Hopefully we bring in both C and G prospects via the draft and FA...in that order. Starting quality interior linemen are often available in the 3rd round so we should be able to find someone worth taking.

We need the depth for now and we also need to prepare for the day when Randy Thomas either becomes too expensive and/or starts to wear down. Besides, Dockery still hasn't played well enough that his position is completely safe anyway.

Archived