Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis' performance in the Seahawks game

Gravityfite22

When your line doesn't block, it is extremely hard to run the ball. He only got yards on heart today. He had no lanes. He had to slash and dash to get what he could. Look, this team looked a little tired today compared to the Seahawks. We need to play for homefield advantage and a bye. It made the difference today.

CORRECTION: Our O-Line stunk today. And Brunell stunk today (until the last quarter). Seattle was able to play the run and challenge Brunell to beat us. He didn't get a rhythm going until too late.....

....MUCH too late!

Our O line did stink. Brunell was pressured almost 75 percent of the pass plays and Portis did nothing on the ground. I think our O line was banged up and the fact that we dont have Randy Thomas makes it even worse. Our O didnt do anything til that huge pass to Cooley.

Clinton didn't seem to have the spark we're used to seeing today. Maybe the shoulder(s) were worse than we thought ... but fact is he had NOWHERE to run.

Randy Thomas' loss was far bigger than we've really talked about yet, but I suspect we'll be taking about that a lot in the coming months. The run game left with him. Add to that how aggressively defenses keyed into to the fact we no longer threw downfield after Brunell's injury against the Giants, and they utterly keyed on CP.

Combination was too much to overcome today.

I really think that at the time he got hurt, Randy Thomas was our best offensive lineman. I love Samuels and Jansen, but no one does as many things as well as Thomas does. He can bowl you over. He pulls faster and harder than anyone I've seen in a LONG time. And he's a strong pass protector.

Ray Brown played his guts out for us, but he's 43 years old. Cory Raymer was put into a bad situation that he wasn't prepared for. That's what killed our running game. Yes, Clinton's been playing hurt for sure. But if Randy Thomas had been leading him today, he'd have fared better.

Also, Seattle had the #5 rush defense this season. They aren't exactly slouches.

Archived