Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who's going to start at LG?

Art

I haven't seen the game against the Patriots yet so I can't say how Tucker actually performed. He was said to have diminished some and probably won't start now. It may be between Vickers and Loverne. Again, I haven't seen the game, but, I saw two plays by Loverne in the third quarter yesterday with Matthews in there. On the first, he actually mauled a stunting end that was passed to him. I mean he physically assaulted him. I'm accustomed to offensive lineman blocking in kind of a straight up way.

Loverne just clubbed this guy and knocked him four years to his right. On the next play I saw, it appeared that Loverne picked the wrong guy to block as he slide out to help the left tackle who was starting to get beat. Just as he slid out his gap was vacated and pressure started to come. Matthews released the ball on time so it was ok, but what I noticed was that Loverne came up against the rushing end and punched him in the gut, knocking him down. It was more a hand thrust block, but, you catch my drift.

Assuming Tucker struggled as we've been told and some of you have said, and from what I've seen of Vickers, I'd like anything but Vickers starting at that spot. On just those two plays, Loverne looked angry and brutal and like he was trying to catch someone's eye. That's enough for me if Tucker struggled again, as he did against Pittsburgh. Again, that's not to say I know anything more than that about Loverne, but, dammit, I liked seeing an offensive lineman taking pass blocking very personally. If he starts here it's because he's going to be called a brawler and that can't be all bad.

On every play I saw the right side of the line stood up very well as a starting group. Moore was left in a lot of man blocking and though he never got beat, he did get moved a bit. Our running backs still can't pick up a blitz. Coleman and the backs seemed clueless in about half a dozen plays I've now seen with the first teamers.

I don't know if Loverne did enough to start with the second team or not, but he was called out on the radio a couple of times for good blocking and on two pass plays he just looked mean, and I like mean. So, since I think Vickers is better in a reserve role, someone with the game tape, rewind it and watch Loverne and tell me how he looked. I'll do the same on Monday :).

Originally posted by Art

I think Vickers is better in a reserve role

Vickers is awful and has no upside. He needs to be cut and replaced with the best free agent available.

Tucker at least is smart -- Princeton man. His upside is that he can learn to play better, and is quite young. But he's not a starting LG at the moment. A good guy to keep in reserve behind multiple positions.

So we're down to Loverne as the only real candidate to start LG. I sure hope you're right about him. I've never watched him play (I've never isolated on him). It sucks that our OL is coming down to this, but maybe we'll catch a good break, and Loverne will deliver. At least he's physically ready to play, which he wasn't for much of the preseason.

Vickers can play four spots along the line. Assuming we have someone else backing up the tackle spots, this is a valuable person to keep around in case of a very big problem. I haven't been pleased with Vickers play in a starting role. But, he has experience as a reserve player and unless the right person is available he should be kept around.

A guy like Fina is essentially going to put Sulfstead and/or Coleman on the practice squad or streets. Same with John Jackson who has held off on retiring, which tells me someone has called him, but he held off before our game, so I don't think it was us. If you could get the right combination of reserve players for Vickers I'd certainly look at making that move. If you can only get a primary backup tackle, he will, and needs to, survive here.

As for being right on Loverne, I don't know how it can be questioned. In the two plays I saw I described precisely how he did and there's unquestioned correctness about both observations. I'm not stating how it translates out on the field other than it may show a guy who is hungry to make an impression on game film which may get him the starting nod.

Originally posted by Art

As for being right on Loverne, I don't know how it can be questioned. In the two plays I saw I described precisely how he did and there's unquestioned correctness about both observations.

Well, Art, I wasn't looking for you to question your unquestionable correctness. ;)

What I meant by "I hope you're right about him" is that I hope that you're right that we can accurately project strong overall play from the strong performance in the two plays you reviewed. I'd be delighted if your projection proves to be correct.

Again, ASF, all I've said on Loverne is that on two plays I saw, he looked like he was trying to get someone to see him and that he looked very mean. Given Tucker's apparent stuggles and Vickers' status as a less than competent starter, Loverne is likely to get noticed. I've not offered a projection as to how he'd play as a starter if he did get noticed and I asked for others who have the tape to let us know how he played.

So, in terms of hoping for his success should he become a starter, I share your views. In terms of projecting him based on two plays as a successful starter, well, that's simply not where I was going.

Radio analyst Schoenke raved about what he saw of Loverne as well.

If I remember correctly, Loverne was originally slated early as LG until Jones started sputtering at RG. I think Loverne was having some problems at RG and then got injured. Perhaps getting a chance at LG again charged him up.

I think Loverne's gonna get the start.

I went to the game, which means I actually saw less of it than most of you :laugh:, but from what I could see Tucker and the line simply got manhandled by a top front seven.

These guys on the Pats outside of Seymour aren't franchise talents, but they play their schemes really well and are disciplined and don't get out of their lanes. None of the Redskins motion or traps worked and the Pats seemingly knew the plays before they were called :(

One point to note (as if I myself aren't getting sick of hearing it made).................

Tucker and the others were facing the Super Bowl starters for the Patriots in the early going, Loverne was facing the Patriots rookies and draft pick backups in the second half............

that is a world of difference, my friends :)

Archived