Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's The Redskins - What Else Do You Expect?

bulldog

if this is ANY other team that goes from 5-6 to 10-6 and advances into the second round of the playoffs, they would be the darlings of the NFL. articles would be written about how the staff pulled off a stunner in turning an inconsistent team into a solid unit. Clinton Portis with 5 straight 100 yard games to help cinch the playoff berth would be respected as one of the league's money players.

but that isn't going to happen since it is the Redskins. to expect anything as mundane as winning games to change the minds of people that have hated this organization for years is to set yourself up for failure.

what the hiring of Joe Gibbs did was prevent the critics from lambasting Snyder publicly as had been the case when Spurrier was here. instead, the critics have become more subtle, grudgingly accepting the abilities of Gibbs and Williams but hating on the individual players and underselling what they have accomplished and can accomplish as a group.

now, it's the 'sleepless in seattle' argument where the team need not even show up for the game tomorrow because the outcome is all but decided.

funny, people said the same thing about the Falcons chances in 1998 going to 15-1 Minnesota in the playoffs. we all know what happened in that game.

and Redskins fans need look no closer than the 1984 Super Bowl where the emerging Washington 'dynasty' was supposed to beat up the Raiders and got hit by a freight train instead.

but whether the Redskins can and will win the game tomorrow against the Seahawks, it isn't really the Seahawks that is bringing out the passion of guys like Pasquarelli and Jay Mariotti. It is the REDSKINS and their presence in this game.

because the Redskins presence in this game, win or lose, has undermined their project hatched over the past 10-12 months to ride this team down to the 6-10 or 7-9 record they thought was not only possible but desirable :laugh:

too bad to disappoint them, eh? :D

I agree bulldog. Even back in the 80's we were often referred to as The Rodney Dangerfield Gang and I loved it!! Seems we always played better when no one gave us a chance.

I remember one time Madden and Sumerall doing a season preview(80's) and they were going down their list of SuperBowl contenders. Both rattling off the Giants, Cowboys,49'ers and in passing Pat asks John "What about the Redskins?" . John replies "You never hear much from them but somehow, Joe Gibbs and his bunch are right there come December."

As we made our push in December this year, old John's words from long ago came to mind.:)

but neither team was 5-6 having to win all their games down the stretch. and as I remember Gruden DID in fact receive a lot of press for turning the Bucs around in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year.

funny how Billick continues to get a pass from the national media in Baltimore, nobody says the game has passed him bye even though his record of developing quarterbacks is among the worst I have seen.

can you imagine the glee from Pasquarelli if the Skins had crashed and burned as the Ravens did?

Actually this shouldn't be no surprise as long as I can remember even the superbowl teams they were never respected. Like I said this team relish the underdog role you can hear it in them when they speak. If they play their game tomorrow I think they going to really open some eyes.

Actually this shouldn't be no surprise as long as I can remember even the superbowl teams they were never respected. Like I said this team relish the underdog role you can hear it in them when they speak. If they play their game tomorrow I think they going to really open some eyes.

I could curse so many times right now. BigRay, THANK YOU! All these "experts" go by who is supposed to win. Lots of these guys pick the 2-time defending champs New Engalnd over Denver. WOW, what a brave pick there. :rolleyes:

I could curse so many times right now. BigRay, THANK YOU! All these "experts" go by who is supposed to win. Lots of these guys pick the 2-time defending champs New Engalnd over Denver. WOW, what a brave pick there. :rolleyes:

Don't sweat it buddy !!! I really do not pay a whole lot of attention to these so call experts as long as we believe in our boys that's all what matters who cares what they think. Like I said I really believe in my heart that they are going to punch the seahawks in the mouth.

Im more comfortable by all the media putting skins in the underdog role,they have been disrespected from the beginning and kept finding ways to win.What bothers me is that analysts are paid to give key info on probability,but all you hear is "120 yds of offense" yup against a #1 defense in their stadium and only 17 points,but before that skins were putting up good numbers and 28 pt per game,i dont mind they pick seattle as they could an should,but they should go over the teams a little more than just looking at stats.And its odd the only good analysis came from a comedian in a 5 minute segment..

this game has all the feel to me of the 1986 and 1987 playoff games where the Skins went into Chicago as big, big underdogs and came out with victories both times :)

that game was amazing, now you have me licking my chops :silly: dam you bulldog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :point2sky

this game has all the feel to me of the 1986 and 1987 playoff games where the Skins went into Chicago as big, big underdogs and came out with victories both times :)

I get that feeling also Gibbs relishes this he really does notice how the Seahawk players have that real confident look on their face remember that look it's going to be priceless if we win..:laugh:

the one matchup I don't like in the Denver/NE game is Jake Plummer against a defense run by Bill Belichick. we will see if Plummer has finally come of age as Shanahan claims :)

To add to that Belichick's record vs QB's the second time in a season. With NE I don't think he has loss when facing the same QB for the second time in a season.

Actually there are a handful of teams who did a 360 turnaround this year other than us. Bears and Bucs went from 5-11 to 11-5 if my memory serves correctly. We are not the only team in the NFL.....

Yes, but the Bears are getting media attention.

Rex Grossman was the second coming of Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Bart Starr, and Johnny Unitas after beating the unbelievably awesome Green Bay Packers.

Yup. Our team is definitely a work in progress, especially on offense. Even on defense we sorely miss (except for when Phillip Daniels is in rage mode) a pass rushing DE.

What nobody likes to acknowledge is that in the games we've played against teams with different styles than ours (i.e. more explosive offense, etc.), we've still left a more indelible mark on the way that those games have been played. Said another way, we drag teams down to our level - which is to say a short, physical game with fewer possessions and points scored - and find a way to muscle out a win. It's not pretty, but it sure can be effective and it's got to scare a "pretty" team like Seattle that that's what they're facing.

given the great progress we've seen from our Skins this year, a loss tomorrow wouldn't be too terribly upsetting for me, but now if they lose i'll have to put up with all the "experts" and every idiot at school whose probably seen one game of football in their life or roots for the packers or ravens telling me "see I told you the Redskins suck" and of course being who i am (a stubborn Redskins fan who argues too much) i'll get drawn into a huge argument in which i'll make excellent points that any intelligent person would concede are true only to hear the response "whatever man they suck" i just can't stand that, just needed to vent among the friendly confines of my redskin fans brethren, thanks all and win or lose i've loved every nail biting near heart attack moment of this season

Thinking more about bulldog's comparison to the 1986-87 'Skins, another team that we resemble a lot (though we're not as dominating) in terms of style of play is the '89-'90 Giants.

They were the only team in the league capable of forcing the elite San Francisco teams of those years to play a 16-13 type of ball game, and of course the Giants usually won those because that's what they were designed to do.

Thinking more about bulldog's comparison to the 1986-87 'Skins, another team that we resemble a lot (though we're not as dominating) in terms of style of play is the '89-'90 Giants.

They were the only team in the league capable of forcing the elite San Francisco teams of those years to play a 16-13 type of ball game, and of course the Giants usually won those because that's what they were designed to do.

And that is why Tony Dungy has been quoted as saying the Redskins are the team he'd least like to see in the Super Bowl.

Archived