Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DMV Employee Stereotype is 100% True

CrazyZeb

I just bought a new car from a private seller. He had trouble getting the title from his bank, so it took 3 1/2 weeks just to get it, not to mention two failed deliveries by the Postman and an exciting trip to the Post Office.

After a month of my car sitting in the driveway, I can finally go get it registered. I get my ticket, wait for an hour, the usual nonsense... I get up to the counter and the crusty old woman scours over my title. Finally, she finds something she can screw me over with, and there's a gleam in her eye. The idiot who sold me the car signed the buyer's line, realized his mistake, put a single line through it and signed the seller's line. Two identical signatures, the mistake was obvious. Nothing illegal, nothing devious. The woman rejects it, basically tosses it back at me saying "I can't touch it. It's a legal document." I could see the joy in her face as I told her I waited for a month to get it, and the guy lives in Chicago. It would be such a hassle to get another one over such a minor mistake. She didn't care.

I gave my old car to my brother, so he took my spot and registered his car. When he's done, we ask one of the women behind the counter if the mistake mattered. "Of course not, you can see what happened, that's no big deal. You'll just have to get it approved by the manager." Ok, can I speak to the manager? Sure... I'll bet you can guess who the manager was. :mad:

Anyways, we leave that Hell hole and drive to the next closest DMV. After another long wait, it wasn't even an issue at the counter. I think the first evil lady just likes to mess with people.

Any fun stories of your own?

One of the things I will never miss about Virginia. :doh:

I currently pay $18 for new tags once a year at the county clerk's office. No DMV, no stupid city stickers, no stupid and meaningless inspections done by crooked garages. Also, there's never a line at the county clerk's office... they even have an office at one of the malls in town that is open until 9 pm weeknights.

DMV=Just another beaurocratic mess.

And if I could rant a little more... city inspection stickers are the biggest joke of all time. I drove a POS in high school... I'd take it to one place and they would fail it and tell me I needed $1500 worth of repairs that they would gladly do for me. So I would take it to the place down the street and they would pass it. Complete joke.

I just bought a new car from a private seller. He had trouble getting the title from his bank, so it took 3 1/2 weeks just to get it, not to mention two failed deliveries by the Postman and an exciting trip to the Post Office.

After a month of my car sitting in the driveway, I can finally go get it registered. I get my ticket, wait for an hour, the usual nonsense... I get up to the counter and the crusty old woman scours over my title. Finally, she finds something she can screw me over with, and there's a gleam in her eye. The idiot who sold me the car signed the buyer's line, realized his mistake, put a single line through it and signed the seller's line. Two identical signatures, the mistake was obvious. Nothing illegal, nothing devious. The woman rejects it, basically tosses it back at me saying "I can't touch it. It's a legal document." I could see the joy in her face as I told her I waited for a month to get it, and the guy lives in Chicago. It would be such a hassle to get another one over such a minor mistake. She didn't care.

I gave my old car to my brother, so he took my spot and registered his car. When he's done, we ask one of the women behind the counter if the mistake mattered. "Of course not, you can see what happened, that's no big deal. You'll just have to get it approved by the manager." Ok, can I speak to the manager? Sure... I'll bet you can guess who the manager was. :mad:

Anyways, we leave that Hell hole and drive to the next closest DMV. After another long wait, it wasn't even an issue at the counter. I think the first evil lady just likes to mess with people.

Any fun stories of your own?

Yep.

I went to the DMV one day and it took me only ten minutes to do what I had to do and the women were all smiling like Tom Seleck walk into the joint. :silly:

I went to renew my driver's license at one of the DMV's that had been closed down but had since reopened. It seems that no one to noticed that it had in fact reopened and itt was completely empty yet fully staffed. The entire process including the test took less then 20 minutes. BAM!

One time I bought my dad's old car from him...he sold it to me for dirt cheap. So I filled out the "normal" registration paperwork we have in CT and brought it to DMV. Got my number and sat for over an hour waiting to be called. When I finally was called, I got up to the desk and the clerk had that same gleam in her eye that you mentioned. I screwed something up, very minor, don't even remember what it was...but it was something that could be fixed with the stroke of a pen. She wouldn't let me fix it there...told me I had to get in line again. Rather than get mad, I decided to be smart...and I said okay, can you look at all my paperwork and make sure it looks okay so when I come up here again I don't have more problems? She looks it over and say everything is fine.

So...I wait..about another 45 minutes. And my number comes up again. Of the 6 or 8 clerks there...my luck...I got the same ***** again. When I got up there...guess what...paperwork was wrong. Because a relative was selling me the car for less than value I was supposed to use a different form...she knew this from the first time...but didn't bother to mention that. I was never so pissed in my life.

...now our DMV is pretty good actually. They have someone standing at the door as you come in. They ask you why you are there and look over your paperwork. If you are missing a form, or have something wrong...they walk you over to the table...pick up a new form and explain exactly what you have to do to sail through the process. Once you fix everything this person looks it over again...when it's okay...then you go get your number. Since they implemented this I've never spent more than 10 minutes at a DMV...even on a Sat morning I fly right through...

The DMV in Virginia is a prime example of government inefficiencies and incompetence. I too have horror stories that I do not want to get into here. I hate them with such fury that I will refrain from posting something that I will regret. Let's just say there's DMV, then Osama, then Saddam, ...

Never had any trip to the DMV take more than 30 minutes.

What is so hard about filling out forms? It sounds like people are blaming the employees for their inability to put words into their proper places on the forms.

Also, hasn't anyone heard of doing this stuff online? :doh:

What is so hard about filling out forms? It sounds like people are blaming the employees for their inability to put words into their proper places on the forms.

I don't know one single person that has ever had a pleasant experience at the DMV. Not only are most of the employees incompetent, but they are rude.

By the way, there's some stuff you can't do online.

Your time will come.

Believe me my experience incompetence was not due to my inability to fill out forms. My story is wayyyy to long. To think I was only trying to renew my registration.

I don't know one single person that has ever had a pleasant experience at the DMV. Not only are most of the employees incompetent, but they are rude.

By the way, there's some stuff you can't do online.

I've had several pleasant trips to the DMV. I mean, you have to wait awhile some times, but that's not really an issue. The people have always been nice to me...I've never gotten a sadistic person "helping" me out. They've always been super nice and helpful.

And the Arlington DMV (off Four Mile Run between George Mason and Walter Reed) has someone at the door helping you out as well.

Well....where to start.

We bought a '99 Firebird in May.

My girlfriend got the car and a loan, in her name.

Since the car was going to be under her name alone, it would cost more insurance, but since the loan was under her name, the title had to also for the lein, and the insurance wouldn't put it under her dads policy. However if he was the coowner it could go under a seconary account.

Well, we go to the DMV, first, our letter from the bank was a ''forgery''. Like why the **** would we forge what bank is on the lein?

Then, since the loan wasn't to her dad, he couldn't be a coowner (even though the bank said this was OK, and said this in the letter).

So they ended up titling it to just her, paying taxes.

The next day they get a new letter from the bank, restating everything, andn have to go back and pay taxes again to get it changed.

In the end it was cheaper to change it than to pay the higher insurance, but DMV got paid 1k taxes twice on the same car in 2 days.

its too long to talk about but when i transfered the title to my car from va to md, the lady at the counter LITERALLY wiped her ass with my title and accompanying forms and told me my car didn't exist! (i had brought it 60 days prior)

:mad: mofos tried to get me to pay sales tax AGAIN to VA. :doh: recall i was moving TO VA and i paid the tax when i brought the car off the lot. :doh:

6 weeks and a lawyer later my ish finally became legal.

Archived