Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Joe Gibbs Wins the Superbowl...

MRMADD

If Joe Gibbs takes a lightly-regarded team that most prognosticators projected to finish at 6-10 and gets them to the Superbowl... should he retire?

Think about it... he'd be the undisputed Greatest Coach of All Time. Comes out of retirement, takes over a franchise in total disarray with possibly the most inept front office/ownership team in football, and brings them to the Superbowl? That's not coaching genius. That's a freaking miracle.

And he does it with an over-the-hill QB, only one wide receiver, and an undersized RB for his offense? It would be the greatest Superbowl upset of all time.

If you were Joe, wouldn't you walk out on top? He would have accomplished everything he set out to do: return the Skins to prominence. He could hand the reins over the Gregg Williams and ride off into the NASCAR sunset as the Greatest Ever. Bigger than Lombardi. They'd have to give him a second bust in Canton.

Now, I'm not saying he will win the Superbowl this year -- it's nearly impossible. And I'm not saying that any Skins fan would want him to leave if he did. But if you're Joe -- oldest coach in the league -- what else would you have left to coach for? Wouldn't you ride out on top?

I hope I'm not the only one thinking this but...

one game at a time my friend...one game at a time.

But to answer you last question, Gibbs does have a few more goals he can accomplish. He can still try to win the most superbowls for a single coach or for a single NFL team.

Well As much as I love Coach Gibbs and my Skins, I would be the first one saying "Joe it may be time to go" Would love to have him stay around but If the miracle happens and we do win the dance, as much as I would want him to stay, I would be happy if he walked away on top. The man is a humble, God fearing decent human being who deserves to go out on top.

Let's not worry about what type of legacy Joe leaves. Everyone in the country begged Michael Jordan not to come back and "tarnish" his legacy. Seems like you guys down there in DC sort of benefitted from his return -- surprise surprise - he not only didnt embarrass himself but actuallly played at an all-star level.

Here is my point (and the reason I used the Jordan analogy)......

Coach Gibbs' legacy is FIRMLY entrenched. I have been to Canton and I have a picture of me standing in front of his bust. The man has already done things in this game that no other coach will likely ever replicate. Do you think Bill Bellicheck wins 3 superbowls without Tom Brady? Gibbs won 3 with 3 seperate QBs (none of which belong in the same sentence with #12).

So.....who are we to speculate - much less suggest - when this man should leave ? We are not qualified and to try to give this man any professional advice is simply absurd. This whole "go out on top" ideal is very overrated. Yea - it's a nice thought.....but does it really matter if coach wins a super bowl in his final season or goes 8-8 ? It does not change what he's accomplished. I want to see him succeed because I love the Redskins and I have a world of admiration for the man. Still, he should leave when HE wants to, no matter what the circumstances. He's earned that.........

I would say he retires and gives it to Williams. His objectives were twofold: First, get his son into the NFL; and secondly restore the Redskins as a championship franchise. I believe if he wins the NFC Championship game he might consider retiring; although, the $7M might be hard to walk away from.

Still have to win before we get to the SuperBowl, but what I'd like to see is

the REDSKINS win this years SuperBowl, and then Joe Gibbs return next year and the REDSKINS win 15 16 games in route to another SuperBowl win. That would be cool. :helmet: Then Joe Gibbs would retire. Then Greg Williams would take the helm as coach and the REDSKINS would go and win another SuperBowl.

Only in America can we dream such dreams:cheers:

And Remember that the Washington Redskins are America's Team.:helmet:

Let all of America sing

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS HAIL VICTORY BRAVES ON THE WARPATH

FIGHT FOR OLD D.C. :wavetowel

Archived