Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Troubling times, a troubling nominee ( USA Today)

luckydevil

http://usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-01-09-troubling-times_x.htm

Here is a portion of the piece

Troubling times, a troubling nominee

By Jonathan Turley

The confirmation hearings for Judge Samuel Alito will focus greatly on his stated opposition to Roe v. Wade. The obsession with abortion in American politics has had an anaerobic effect on past confirmation hearings, sucking the air out of other issues. For Alito, this may have the welcomed effect of obscuring a more troubling question from his past writings and cases: Alito's extreme views of government authority over citizens' rights.

Despite my agreement with Alito on many issues, I believe that he would be a dangerous addition to the court in already dangerous times for our constitutional system. Alito's cases reveal an almost reflexive vote in favor of government, a preference based not on some overriding principle but an overriding party.

In my years as an academic and a litigator, I have rarely seen the equal of Alito's bias in favor of the government. To put it bluntly, when it comes to reviewing government abuse, Samuel Alito is an empty robe.

It can't be stopped. This was going to happen.

What confuses and scares me is that for the Right to have this kind of power, one of two things have to be the case; either the American people are dumb enough to be duped into electing these people, or they actually agree with them. Either way it's frightening. America's foundation, freedom, is crumbling under the weight of the neo-liberal conservative behemoth. The conservatives are expanding the government's rights and boundaries without any regard for why those boundaries were there to begin with. When the hell did conservatives start favoring big government? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY??!??!?

I have never heard of any piece of work that Alito did that was either outrageous or even not well thought out? He has more experience than all other judges and seems to even (get this) use his judgeship and go against his personal beliefs.

BUT ALAS, you are right we are all just stupid sheep of the religious type people Chopper and I'm glad you put so much research and thought into it to SHOW us why we are all stupid.

Save your breath Tbear, they just wish to whine and have nothing to bring to the table as to his qualifications.

The world is ending ...someone who might believe the same as the majority of americans could actually get elected.

Save your breath Tbear, they just wish to whine and have nothing to bring to the table as to his qualifications.

The world is ending ...someone who might believe the same as the majority of americans could actually get elected.

In what way might he believe the same as the majority? That's a pretty broad claim.

Too bad Supreme Court nomination hearings rest squarely on the topic of abortion, some of this might come to light (if true). Unfortunately the hearings always take up the atmosphere of a kangaroo court. I believe Alito will make a fine judge, his former stances seem more middle of the road to me, as if he was grooming himself for this opportunity from the start of his career.

It's amazing. I come on here to read about the redskins, instead you gotta here a bunch of dope smoking hippies whine about Allito. Does a guitar and water-bong make you a philosopher? Also why isn't Cheech and Chong being quoted? When BJ Clinton nominated Ginsberg no one whined. The "neo-liberal conservative behemoth" won the election..... get over it.

It's amazing. I come on here to read about the redskins, instead you gotta here a bunch of dope smoking hippies whine about Allito. Does a guitar and water-bong make you a philosopher? Also why isn't Cheech and Chong being quoted? When BJ Clinton nominated Ginsberg no one whined. The "neo-liberal conservative behemoth" won the election..... get over it.

Wrong board

It can't be stopped. This was going to happen.

What confuses and scares me is that for the Right to have this kind of power, one of two things have to be the case; either the American people are dumb enough to be duped into electing these people, or they actually agree with them. Either way it's frightening. America's foundation, freedom, is crumbling under the weight of the neo-liberal conservative behemoth. The conservatives are expanding the government's rights and boundaries without any regard for why those boundaries were there to begin with. When the hell did conservatives start favoring big government? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY??!??!?

I haven't seen any evidence of Alito's favoritism for big government, but I'll make the dangerous assumption that it's true considering the source of his nomination.

However, there is a third alternative to your argument- the possibility that the American people are too busy watching home makeover shows and Desperate Housewives to even notice or care that their rights are being trampled on.

Do you realize the sh*tstorm that would be going on right now if Billy C had been caught using illegal wiretapping to spy on American citizens? We had almost two years of proceedings and millions of dollars spent to prosecute him for freaking perjury. But since there isn't an incriminating blue dress involved in Hoover-esque miscalculations of civil liberties (to put it lightly), no one's paying attention, and everyone seems to be satisfied with the weak excuses they are getting.

I haven't seen any evidence of Alito's favoritism for big government, but I'll make the dangerous assumption that it's true considering the source of his nomination.

However, there is a third alternative to your argument- the possibility that the American people are too busy watching home makeover shows and Desperate Housewives to even notice or care that their rights are being trampled on.

Do you realize the sh*tstorm that would be going on right now if Billy C had been caught using illegal wiretapping to spy on American citizens? We had almost two years of proceedings and millions of dollars spent to prosecute him for freaking perjury. But since there isn't an incriminating blue dress involved in Hoover-esque miscalculations of civil liberties (to put it lightly), no one's paying attention, and everyone seems to be satisfied with the weak excuses they are getting.

Wow. Great post. Couldn't agree more with you, especially the part about the home makover shows. Sad state of affairs for "middle America".

Signed into law by BC. Broadly expanding the Governments wiretapping capabilities.

http://www.askcalea.net/

Guess we had similar apathy in 1994.

You can read?

The 'right' is simply using the methods and systems that the 'left' put into place while the 'left' has failed to realize that it is those methods and systems that are the problem, not the people who control them. The 'left' still cheers when the state takes away rights but boos when an individual freely chooses with whom to associate. They show by their actions that they believe in liberties not liberty. Many on the 'right' have realized this but many more have been corrupted by power. They simarly cheer when the state takes away rights and boo an individual who chooses to asscociate with those they disapprove. Sadly, they believe seem to believe as those on the 'left' believe that rights eminate from the government. Those on the 'left' that realized this have been marginalized and, at times, have even been called 'right-wingers'.

I had Turley at GW when I was in law school. he was a jerk then and has only gotten worse.

frankly, I could care less what he thinks. there are tens of thousands of law professors in this country- who makes him worthy of discussing a more accomplished jurist?!!

I love the fact that the libs tried to stop Alito but are powerless to do it..

I love the fact that the libs tried to stop Alito but are powerless to do it..

Is that really a fact? Looks to me like the democrats gave a man up for a life time appointment to one of the most powerful positions in the country a tough interview. If they wanted to stop him we'd all be discussing filibuster right now. It is amazing though that wingnuts think that a man up for such a powerful seat in government should be given an easier time.....

IMO all such people should have their entire backgrounds exposed to the public with nothing at all held back. Every detail you could possibly find laid bare for all to see. Then they should be strapped to a lie detector and asked every tough question relevent to the position. If that makes a wife cry, oh well. This isn't a 4 year post here....it's a nation changing life time role in history.

Is that really a fact? Looks to me like the democrats gave a man up for a life time appointment to one of the most powerful positions in the country a tough interview. If they wanted to stop him we'd all be discussing filibuster right now. It is amazing though that wingnuts think that a man up for such a powerful seat in government should be given an easier time.....

IMO all such people should have their entire backgrounds exposed to the public with nothing at all held back. Every detail you could possibly find laid bare for all to see. Then they should be strapped to a lie detector and asked every tough question relevent to the position. If that makes a wife cry, oh well. This isn't a 4 year post here....it's a nation changing life time role in history.

AND NOBODY that could pass your test Destino would be fit to rule over anything :).

Nobody would really care if Planned Parenthood wasn't afraid of losing their golden egg umm...I mean helping people.

Archived