Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Offensive Woes, and where's Cooley?

MumboSauce

Not as bad as alot of folks, media, etc. are making it out to be. Tampa Bay had the #1 defense this season and it showed. Carolina's defense looked great against the Gmen also.

But has anyone noticed in the Eagles game and against Tampa how Cooley has dissapeared? is it pressure? Defensive scheming? He was totally frustrated, tossing his helmet on the sideline. I think he had 2 catches for 7 yards or something? I think it's important to get this guy going again in the offense...he takes pressure off Moss, etc.

He has been great this season finding the soft spots in the zone, settling into them, and making himself a target for Brunell. Plays physically, takes at least 2-3 guys to bring him down, sells the block well then gets open....But lately, he's either been D'd very well and or dropping passes..possibly lost some confidence? not sure. but we need this guy to be involved in the offense more. I hope he comes out of the slump and tears it up in SEattle.

It's a bit disheartening, even against Tampa's D that Cooley, Moss, Brunell and Portis were for the most part shut out, with the exception of Portis running in that great TD off the turnover. I hope they get it going early and often saturday, the offense need to move the ball and sustain drives and keep seattles Offense off the field. Seattle has a decent D, but nothing close to the likes of Tampa. Regardless, against great adversity, the Skins found a way to win, in the playoffs on the road, even when a phase of our game was missing...

A Thanks to our Defense...we need that kind of game/effort again, no big plays, get some sacks, force some turnovers. Hail Skins!

Our offense problems had very little to do with Tampa's defense IMO. We just didn't execute well. Is it Brunell? Is it the offense of line?

I think its a combo of Brunell being off and Portis being hurt. However I believe they are about to bounce back. Seattle's D doesn't scare me and if anyone can figure out that D is Gibbs.

Our offense problems had very little to do with Tampa's defense IMO. We just didn't execute well. Is it Brunell? Is it the offense of line?

I think its a combo of Brunell being off and Portis being hurt. However I believe they are about to bounce back. Seattle's D doesn't scare me and if anyone can figure out that D is Gibbs.

We don't have enough weapons because of Brunell. Even when there is a perfect pocket, Brunell scrambles to his left and cuts the field in half. He only looks to who the play is designed for also, which is usually Moss. Also, if you watch some of the tape there are receivers open for a QB with a legit arm to hit but he doesn't even consider them. He throws a nice long ball most of the time which is maybe what we need to do more of because his weak arm doesn't allow him to hit deep outs. Most of the throws he is asked to make are gimmicky screens and quick dump offs, it's quite amazing. Chris Samuels makes a lot of money and he better step up, seattle's d-line is no joke and he got absoultely burned by Simeon Rice who had 11 sacks this year but Samuels gave up 3 and almost more...

He is definately on the radar of opposing D's...Our offense also makes it easy to cover him b/c he rarely runs a downfield route he is either releasing into the flat, catching a screen or running a delay route over the middle...We need to get him running some downfield routes to give the defense a different look... :2cents:

It's absolutely ridiculous to say the Skins poor offensive performance had little to do with Tampa's defense. It had everything to do with it. There were a couple of oppotunities our O had where the play was executed poorly, the rest was a combination of conservative play (playing to protect our lead) and Tampa's stout D. I guarantee our O win be much more productive against Seattle.

We don't have enough weapons because of Brunell. Even when there is a perfect pocket, Brunell scrambles to his left and cuts the field in half. He only looks to who the play is designed for also, which is usually Moss. Also, if you watch some of the tape there are receivers open for a QB with a legit arm to hit but he doesn't even consider them. He throws a nice long ball most of the time which is maybe what we need to do more of because his weak arm doesn't allow him to hit deep outs. Most of the throws he is asked to make are gimmicky screens and quick dump offs, it's quite amazing. Chris Samuels makes a lot of money and he better step up, seattle's d-line is no joke and he got absoultely burned by Simeon Rice who had 11 sacks this year but Samuels gave up 3 and almost more...

:logo:

In the Tampa game Moss put on a beautiful fake and was started down the sideline and Brunell bailed on the play and tossed a pass OB... He was not under intense pressure on the play...

The Skins definitely are hurting without a threatening #2 WR, it makes Cooley have to play out of position, he does not have speed that will give him seperation from a db... Gibbs has to find a way to get him in open space.

:logo:

Archived