Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thrash is going to be #2 Sat!!

jbooma

The question here is, can we sell Thrash as a decoy, because seriously, who's gonna believe that a guy with a cast or splint on his thumb can actually be effective in catching a ball, let alone a deep ball, if I were Seattle, I would not buy it. Even if Jacobs is a bust, I think he poses more of a threat than a guy with a fractured thumb. I mean I love Thrash but I just don't know if he was the best choice to go with for number 2. But I do trust the coaching staff so they have my full support, but Im just voicing my opinion.

The question here is, can we sell Thrash as a decoy, because seriously, who's gonna believe that a guy with a cast or splint on his thumb can actually be effective in catching a ball, let alone a deep ball, if I were Seattle, I would not buy it. Even if Jacobs is a bust, I think he poses more of a threat than a guy with a fractured thumb. I mean I love Thrash but I just don't know if he was the best choice to go with for number 2. But I do trust the coaching staff so they have my full support, but Im just voicing my opinion.

My :2cents:

First, good, let them disregard Thrash, he has a long and a very decent reliability record of making key plays when he's been ignored.

Second, I reluctantly disgree about Taylor. He's shown next to nothing to date, no matter how much I might castigate Brunnel (which I don't) as part of a "Jacob's Defense."

Third, I trust and support the staff too, I also like Thrash a lot, and though I have a different take, I think your apprehension and opinion are certainly reasonable. This is when our shared belief in our coaches' abilities may turn out to be the most accurate judgment we both make :D .

Even with either a cast or splint he will be the #2 WR, is it me or does that just makes it official that Jacobs is a bust :doh:

One stat not many have talked about this week:

4-0

Gibbs CAREER record vs Seattle

GO SKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it...Jacobs was suppossed to have blinding speed coming out of Florida...so why can't he get separation...really strange.

He's actually going to be more apt to catch a deep ball than a short (Brunell) bullet. A broken thumb can't really take the smack of the ball, but on a floating deep ball, the thumb doesn't even necessarily come into play. Also, I heard somewhere, probably on this board, that the cast he was wearing allowed movement of the top portion of his thumb. What I would be concerned about is after the catch. Whoever goes to tackle him will be gunning for that finger, no doubt. He'll have to carry the ball in the arm without the broken thumb (I don't know which hand it is) which poses a problem when that side of his body is away from the sideline.

First, good, let them disregard Thrash, he has a long and a very decent reliability record of making key plays when he's been ignored.

Second, I reluctantly disgree about Taylor. He's shown next to nothing to date, no matter how much I might castigate Brunnel (which I don't) as part of a "Jacob's Defense."

Third, I trust and support the staff too, I also like Thrash a lot, and though I have a different take, I think your apprehension and opinion are certainly reasonable. This is when our shared belief in our coaches' abilities may turn out to be the most accurate judgment we both make :D .

Thats a good premise to go on, but in times where Thrash has made the big play ( and I know there are many) how was his health, was he waering a cast or splint. I think the receiver position warrants 2 healthy fully working hands( to include all fingers) more so than any other position. A QB can still throw a ball if its his non throwing arm, a defensive guy is not really required to catch a ball, only prevent the other guy from catching it( of course if he does get the interception thats great), a lineman can perform his job without full use of his thumb, but a wide receiver must have both hands to catch a ball. Perhaps this is something we need to address in the offseason, Whats the deasl with Patten anyway, is he still hurt?

Thrash can still make plays, Im with ya there Jumbo. I just hope he can catch with that splint on there talking about because its obvious nobody else can step up.

Whats the deasl with Patten anyway, is he still hurt?

Patten was placed on IR to free up a roster spot needed for his replacement, he can't come back this season, If I remember right he tore something in his knee, that can take a long long time to heal, and I just don't think they thought he would be ready for anything even this late in the season when they put him on IR. Its not like he was Moss anyway, if it were Moss they might have kept him on the roster till we saw if we were getting into the playoffs and he might become available.

People were really down on Patten back when he was playing but he did a really good job of drawing the PI call and he also managed somehow to keep teams from sending all that coverage Moss' way. I think that everyone really respected him and his speed and route running ability, and they don't respect any of his replacements, which is why Moss gets covered so much.

I really like the Idea of having Patten on the team next year, and I think we all are seeing why no matter how many good things we kept hearing from the inside sources that Jacobs has been a real bust, but at least we found out and can get rid of him instead of keeping him for another year hoping he pans out.

Thrash can still make plays, Im with ya there Jumbo. I just hope he can catch with that splint on there talking about because its obvious nobody else can step up.

The cool thing is, with other teams always so keyed-up to see what Gibbs may pull out of his hat to "compensate for all his holes", we only need one good play from Thrash to make the D have more to think about. One key catch will add to their concern load for aquarter and a/half :)

Then have Royal make one. Then Sellers. Then Cooley is more open alluva sudden. And that's how it wroks. Please, lord. :laugh:

Even with either a cast or splint he will be the #2 WR, is it me or does that just makes it official that Jacobs is a bust :doh:

Yes, I noticed that on the depth chart that Thrash was listed as the #2 receiver, but I've been told that the depth chart is meaningless. Was this mentioned somewhere else other than the depth chart?

I liked how we used Mike Sellers earlier in the season. He has pretty good hands, and can bulldoze over people (hi Brian Dawkins!). He can take some of the carries away from Portis, especially on those physical short yardage situations away from the goal line.

Use him like Alstott.

I mean look at him, would you want to try and tackle him????

The cool thing is, with other teams always so keyed-up to see what Gibbs may pull out of his hat to "compensate for all his holes", we only need one good play from Thrash to make the D have more to think about. One key catch will add to their concern load for aquarter and a/half :)

Then have Royal make one. Then Sellers. Then Cooley is more open alluva sudden. And that's how it wroks. Please, lord. :laugh:

Thats exactly what we need, to spread that ball around like we did against dallas and ny. If we get into that type of rhythm then this game could turn out the last dallas game. :point2sky

Archived