Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington DC area portayed in movies

Thanos

They never seem to get it right.Or its obviously filmed somewhere else.I can go on for days.

SLAM-14th subway stop

Die Hard- Pacific Bell phone in Dulles

Courage Under Fire-Denzel hold Skins cap in front of Texas state capital trying to pass it off as DC.

I've yet to see an actual Metro rail car outside of the Costner film......I think

Funny no matter where you are in DC in film the Capital is always in the background.

My rant is over.:2cents:

Over 185 films have scenes filmed in DC. For a list, check here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/longterm/movies/features/dcmovies/dcfilms.htm

As to the point of your original post, yes, many films have scenes supposedly of Washington that were filmed somewhere else, just as many films are not filmed in the actual location they are trying to portray (example, in The Last of the Mohicans, much of the mountain scenery/filming was done in North Carolina, not New York where the story takes place.)

"Slam": The film features Saul Williams as a young inner-city man using poetry as a survival tool. It won the Grand Jury Prize and Audience Award at the Sundance Film Festival. Reviews from Style and Weekend.

Great movie in my opinion. It's more about DC than any other movie filmed in "DC" that I've ever seen.

In the Alfred Hitch**** classic "Strangers on a Train," the hero is playing a tennis tournament neat the Capitol. Then he jumps in a cab to take him to Union Station. Somehow the cab finds it necessary to go past the Washington Monument, the Lincoln Memorial, Arlington Cemetary, etc.

Cab drivers never change, do they? :laugh:

"The Pelican Brief": An adaptation of John Grisham's political thriller. A law student (Julia Roberts) stumbles onto a conspiracy to assassinate Supreme Court justices. She seeks the help of an investigative reporter (Denzel Washington) at the Washington Herald. Scenes were shot at the Warner Theatre Lobby and at the Riggs Bank at 1503 Pennsylvania Ave. NW. See a special feature on Journalists in the Movies.

They filmed a scene of the pelican brief at my school in dc.

Has anyone seen DC Cab? It has Gary Busey and Mr T!!!

I nknow many movies use exteriors of DC, but something usually EFFs it up in post production.The Clint Eastwood flick about a retired Secret Service agent filmed on H St and near the Old Post Office Building.

DC Cab was pathetic ,but used some exteriors.I guess Metro either charges an arm or a leg, or just doesn't want to be bothered.Never see the actual Metro trains in film unlike NYC.

Heck even in "Minority Report".Now I know its fifty or so years in the future,but what neigborhood in DC was that?

Archived