Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Th Boston Globe on Joe Gibbs

HogsOfWar

Look at some of the dynasties and what's the common thread? Belichick has won three Super Bowls with Tom Brady; Jimmy Johnson won two with Troy Aikman, who in turn won one with Barry Switzer; Chuck Noll won four Super Bowls with Terry Bradshaw; and Bill Walsh won three with Joe Montana, who also won one for George Seifert. Earlier, Vince Lombardi won multiple championships with another Hall of Famer -- Bart Starr.

In all those cases, the star quarterback (Aikman is eligible for the Hall of Fame this year for the first time) was a constant. All of which makes the Redskins' Joe Gibbs winning Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks -- Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien, none of them of Hall of Fame-caliber -- perhaps the greatest coaching feat ever. If there's a genius among the geniuses (and yes, we understand that Gibbs's offenses featured a power running game, including Hall of Famer John Riggins) it is Gibbs, who is already enshrined in Canton, Ohio, and has done a pretty fair job of getting the Redskins into the second round of the playoffs in his second tour of duty.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/01/12/still_on_his_high_horse/

This is an excerpt from the front page of the sports section of the Boston Globe. I know that it is not news for anyone here, but it is cool to see Gibbs get the respect he deserves outside of Washington.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/01/12/still_on_his_high_horse/

This is an excerpt from the front page of the sports section of the Boston Globe. I know that it is not news for anyone here, but it is cool to see Gibbs get the respect he deserves outside of Washington.

Damn I never thought we would get love from Bean town. But they are realizing what we have all known for some time. YOU CANNOT STOP JOSEPH JACKSON GIBBS, you can merely hope to contain him. :silly:

Joe T. was one of the group they picked for the HOF, before they cut it down to 15. But, realistically he doesn't have the numbers to get in, but the game has changed alot, so I don't think numbers really tell the whole story.:logo::logo::logo:

FYI, his numbers are virtually identical to Aikman's.

EXACTLY! I cannot believe that Gibbs is getting so little respect during these playoffs. When asked about the best coaches in the playoffs, the pundits almost always first mention Belichick. Without Brady he wouldn't have won a single title. Belichick got fired in Cleveland after posting a 36-44 record as their head coach!

Archived