Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dvisional Playoffs Picks, Pats, and Apologies

kleese

Last Week: 2-2

Playoffs: 2-2

Regular Season: 163-91

Record Picking Redskins games: 13-4 (including playoffs)

Last Week's Pats: The only game I really called correctly, in both terms of outcome and score, was Redskins over Bucs. I got the Patriots right as well, but I thought it would be much closer.

Last Week's Apologies: All season long I doubted the Giants, picked against them, and got burned. But deep down, I never trusted that team. I finally went against my gut last week and got burned once again. Major props to the Panthers who shut down a very good offensive team.

This Week's Picks:

Pittsburgh at Indianapolis: This is an easy, easy game to call. There is simply no way that the Colts will bow out in their first playoff game after the season they've had and what the Dungy family has gone through recently. Not only are the Colts most likely the best team in the NFL, but they also have an extra boost of motivation and emotion right now. The Patriots are looming, but the Steelers don't stand a chance this Sunday.

Colts 31, Steelers 14

New England at Denver: It makes me a tad nervous that everyone and their dog is picking the Patriots this week. Denver did have a pretty good year after all, and they are playing in a death trap for most road teams. But as we know, the Patriots aren't most teams. I think this will be a fantastic game, but I still don't trust Jake Plummer-- not until he performs on the biggest stage. This is his chance. Colts-Patriots just seems like destiny.

Patriots 20, Broncos 17

Carolina at Chicago: Very interesting game. The Bears post-season hopes rest squarely on the shoulders of Rex Grossman. If he is better than average, then the Bears could not only win the NFC, but they could win the whole thing because their defense is so spectacular. But this is Grossman's first playoff game and it's his first stiff test since returning from injury. The Panthers completely shut down a high-powered offense last week, which has to have Chicago coaches a bit worried. We know it will be close, and we know neither team will light up the scoreboard. It's going to come down to who makes the game-changing mistakes. In this case, I'll trust Delhomme over Grossman.

Panthers 10, Bears 9

Washington at Seattle: Two schools of thought from an intangible perspective: The Seahawks have the advantage becasuse they had a bye week, and have been able to rest both physically and emotionally for over a month. They will be fresh and hungry. The other side could be that the Redskins have the advantage because they've been playing in high intensity games for six weeks-- their skills and energy are honed to a higher level-- they are in more of a groove than Seattle. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, and once the first few drives takes place, all of that stuff will fly out the window. We know what we've got in the Washington defense and the Seattle offense-- two of the best units in the NFL. Neither will dominate the other. So this game most likely boils down to the "other" match-up: The Redskins offense versus the Seahawks defense. Mark Brunell will need to be than a "game manager" this Saturday-- he faces a much softer defense than he did last, but he's still in a hostile envirnonment. Has his recent play been smart conservatism or has it simply been bad football? No doubt we'll find out on Sunday. The Seahawks have waited 21 years for this game-- it is clearly a bigger game for Seattle than it is for Washington-- a win is must for the Seahawks, it's gravy for the Redskins.

This game will be much closer than some of the "experts" are predicting. Joe Gibbs and company will devise a gameplan to move the ball and control the clock better than they did last week. But in the end, I think this is a game Seattle wins. I think this is where the Redskins run out of gas and lose to a team that earned the bye week and homefield advantage--something the Redskins will need to do next year. I think Seattle is going to blow their Super Bowl chances-- just not quite yet.

Seahawks 24, Redskins 17

No way do the Seahawks want the game more. It may be gravy for some fans, but not to Gibbs, Williams, the players and Us here at Extremeskins. Sure, if Art Monk and Riggins were still playing then I could see your gravy point but Gibbs is out to prove people wrong and Holmgren already has had 3 playoff games to prove that the Seahawks are so hungry. This is Gibbs 2nd back and he already won more than Holmgren has in 7 years in Seattle. :D

I didn't say the Seahawks were more "hungry"-- I said this is a more important game for them-- big difference. It's a difference that could actually work to our advantage if we keep it real close or take a late lead.

Holmgren has been there 7 years-- the Seahawks are the #1 seed in the NFC-- no real juggernaunts in the conference. If not now, then when? It just seems as if their biggest window of opportunity has arrived. If they lose this week, then the season can't really be called much of a success. Where do they go from there?

For us, this was a great turnaround season. 6-10 to 10-6, first playoff appearance since 1999 and a road playoff win to boot. We are only in year two of this regime and all principle parties return in 2006. This off-season will have a positive feel no matter what happens on Saturday.

I have no doubt our team wants this game-- I have no doubt we'll play our tails off. But the simple truth is that Seattle has more on the line this week than we do. That's not necessarily why I'm picking them though-- I'm picking them because their offense is well-balanced--something that gives us trouble on occasion. I'm also picking them because I can't see our offense doing everything we'll need them to do.

New England at Denver: It makes me a tad nervous that everyone and their dog is picking the Patriots this week. Denver did have a pretty good year after all, and they are playing in a death trap for most road teams. But as we know, the Patriots aren't most teams. I think this will be a fantastic game, but I still don't trust Jake Plummer-- not until he performs on the biggest stage. This is his chance. Colts-Patriots just seems like destiny.

Heard an interesting stat yesterday. Tom Brady has thrown 14 interceptions this year. 12 of those were thrown during away games.

The differnece in this could come down to special team. That being said, we can't afford giving up lousy field position and we must have a big day from our kick returners. I heard that Moss will return kicks this week. Not sure how true that is. Either way, we need the Special Teams to really step it up Saturday! I Love The Skins!

I didn't say the Seahawks were more "hungry"-- I said this is a more important game for them-- big difference. It's a difference that could actually work to our advantage if we keep it real close or take a late lead.

Holmgren has been there 7 years-- the Seahawks are the #1 seed in the NFC-- no real juggernaunts in the conference. If not now, then when? It just seems as if their biggest window of opportunity has arrived. If they lose this week, then the season can't really be called much of a success. Where do they go from there?

For us, this was a great turnaround season. 6-10 to 10-6, first playoff appearance since 1999 and a road playoff win to boot. We are only in year two of this regime and all principle parties return in 2006. This off-season will have a positive feel no matter what happens on Saturday.

I have no doubt our team wants this game-- I have no doubt we'll play our tails off. But the simple truth is that Seattle has more on the line this week than we do. That's not necessarily why I'm picking them though-- I'm picking them because their offense is well-balanced--something that gives us trouble on occasion. I'm also picking them because I can't see our offense doing everything we'll need them to do.

Kleese you make very good points however the last part about the offense? how can you say that? I mean the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles all have a better defense that Seattle and we averaged about 30 points. With Portis, Cooley, Moss and Sellers along with Royal the Seattle Defense won't be able to handle all of our weapons. Last week was a fluke we were up quickly and Gibbs is very conservative, I believe this week we will see things we haven't and it will throw Seattle off. All we have to do is limit Alexander and I know we can do that! There recievers are fair but nothing like Galloway! We will win this game easily I have that GUT FEELING. I also think LaVar gets player of the game because his daughter being born, there is no way we lose also Sean Taylor will be so focused and ready to crush anyone. :2cents:

Don't count out Gibbs vs. the impossible scenarios. In 1987 during the strike season Gibbs faced off against the Cowboys on MNF with a team of scabs vs. a Dallas team intermixed with a lot of veteran players who had crossed the line ... Gibbs beat them. Denver was a heavy favorite in that Superbowl, but Gibbs beat them. Throughout the late 80's Philly was usually favored with Buddy Ryan's 46 Defense ... but we continued to beat them (usually split - but in the playoffs we knocked them out and Ryan got fired). Now we are going up against a superior team (on paper) that has a ton of rest and home field. If we lose, we were supposed to, but if they lose, they are choke dogs ... the pressure is on them and Gibbs will have the team prepared and pumped. I trust that Gibbs will be up for this game and that we will suprise the Hawks that are a bit overconfident right now and the local and national media are giving us the best gift ... selling them on their own hype.

Looking at the game objectively, it's not a bad post. You make a lot of sense. However, being the homer I'am, I still say the Redskins win it with a ball control offence and a stingy defence.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

:seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu :seahawksu

Sounds about right to me. Good post.

We are going across the country with a short week to prepare and Seattle will be rested.

There could be a little of the "rust factor" for Seattle but I doubt that lasts past the 1rst quarter. We are battle tested for sure but do we have enough gas in the tank??

Lots to worry about this Saturday.

Well, I've picked the same games you did this week(I just PRAY I'm wrong on the skins game). But I think it will be even closer than 7 points, close enough to swing either way. So I'll just say the Redskins win because I really can't pick the game. However, If you're right on all prediction but the skins game, that means I'll be 8-0 in the post season!!

Washington at Seattle: Two schools of thought from an intangible perspective:

The Seahawks have the advantage becasuse they had a bye week, and have been able to rest both physically and emotionally for over a month. They will be fresh and hungry. The other side could be that the Redskins have the advantage because they've been playing in high intensity games for six weeks-- their skills and energy are honed to a higher level-- they are in more of a groove than Seattle. The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle, and once the first few drives takes place, all of that stuff will fly out the window.

so far were still at 0 vs. 0

We know what we've got in the Washington defense and the Seattle offense-- two of the best units in the NFL. Neither will dominate the other. So this game most likely boils down to the "other" match-up: The Redskins offense versus the Seahawks defense. Mark Brunell will need to be than a "game manager" this Saturday-- he faces a much softer defense than he did last, but he's still in a hostile envirnonment. Has his recent play been smart conservatism or has it simply been bad football? No doubt we'll find out on Sunday.

so far were still at 0 vs. 0

The Seahawks have waited 21 years for this game-- it is clearly a bigger game for Seattle than it is for Washington-- a win is must for the Seahawks, it's gravy for the Redskins.

21 years vs. 10? for the skins and 15 for the SB?

This game will be much closer than some of the "experts" are predicting. Joe Gibbs and company will devise a gameplan to move the ball and control the clock better than they did last week. But in the end, I think this is a game Seattle wins. I think this is where the Redskins run out of gas and lose to a team that earned the bye week and homefield advantage--something the Redskins will need to do next year. I think Seattle is going to blow their Super Bowl chances-- just not quite yet.

Wait! I call foul in the beginning you said the bye week and the roll the Skins are on Zero'd out and then for your wrap up for why they would win you quoted the bye week and running out of gas.. And thus the entire arguement comes down to homefield advantage.... o.k.

I agree with all your points about Seahawks- Skins game you make some very good points but !! But !!, call me a homer if you want it's cool. I really think this team wants it simply because they are tired of all the disrespect they are geting from the media as well The Seahawks are dissing them on the sly making sly remarks . I'm not going to totally buy in to that oh they are tired stuff because they knew what they were up against the last 6 weeks to get where they wanted to get to I do not see them getting this far and saying well it's time to go home. If they get beat it isn't because they were a tired team it's because Seahawks just outplayed and were more coached. If Skins can keep it close going in to the 4th I like our chances a whole lot

I think that Steelers-Colts game is going to be closer than people think . I do not see Deshaun Foster with his bad toe having a good game against the Bears he has two outstanding games on a bad toe but I think it stops here . Chicago defense will be too much their offense will do enough .

Pats- Broncos a toss up

I read this thread every week because I dig the impartiality, but I think you fell into the trap of giving the Skins O short shrift this week, kleese. How would you rank the Seattle D as opposed to the Cowboys, or Eagles? Forget the stats, since the Hawks play in the NFCW. I don't think they're better - at best, the Hawks are a little weaker - and the Skins found a way to put up 35 against Dallas and 20 against Philly. Also compare that to the first Dallas game - totally different show. So I don't think that the Skins O, which is rfanked, what, 13 or something - is worse than the Seattle D, which is what, 16? I think this one comes down to a FG. And what I fear is that this time, the kid doesn't hit the post.

I also think you don't put enough on the 'gravy v pressure' factor. Methinks they fold.

Skins 24 Hawks 21

Pats

Panthers

Colts

I read this thread every week because I dig the impartiality, but I think you fell into the trap of giving the Skins O short shrift this week, kleese. How would you rank the Seattle D as opposed to the Cowboys, or Eagles? Forget the stats, since the Hawks play in the NFCW. I don't think they're better - at best, the Hawks are a little weaker - and the Skins found a way to put up 35 against Dallas and 20 against Philly. Also compare that to the first Dallas game - totally different show. So I don't think that the Skins O, which is rfanked, what, 13 or something - is worse than the Seattle D, which is what, 16? I think this one comes down to a FG. And what I fear is that this time, the kid doesn't hit the post.

I also think you don't put enough on the 'gravy v pressure' factor. Methinks they fold.

Skins 24 Hawks 21

Pats

Panthers

Colts

I do think that Seattle is a weak 13-3 team, if there ever was one, but our points against Dallas and the G-men were at home. Look how our offense scored on the road against those teams ... a total of 14 pts in Dallas and shut out in NY. I am keeping my fingers crossed .... hopefully we can get Cooley and Moss back in the game.

Well, on the road our offense hasn't done much. We were terrible in Arizona, shaky in Philly, and off the mark at best in Tampa. Our better offensive performances came at home.

So yes, my pick IS based on homefield-- I absolutely pick us to win this game if it was in Washington.

Well, on the road our offense hasn't done much. We were terrible in Arizona, shaky in Philly, and off the mark at best in Tampa. Our better offensive performances came at home.

So yes, my pick IS based on homefield-- I absolutely pick us to win this game if it was in Washington.

Well to be fair, our offense was far better earlier in the year on the road--so I don't know if the fact that we will be on the road is the determinative factor. I'd say it has much more to do with Brunell's knee injury and no Randy Thomas. But your point is taken, that our offense on the road, as of late, hasn't been great.

Ed,

I totally disagree with you about this game meaning more to Seattle.

Every NFL season stands on its own merit. There are no guarantees that one year is a stepping stone to a better year the next time around.

When a team gets to this point, winning it all is the only goal.

I can promise you that the Redskins want this every bit as much as Seattle, maybe more.;)

Archived