Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

STATS: Hawks/Skins vs NFC East/West

AlvinWalton40

Decided to do a comparison of how the Seahawks and Redskins did statistically against both NFC EAST and NFC WEST opponents. Hawks and Skins vs NFC East are in Red Hawks and Skins vs NFC West are in Yellow

Perhaps Redskins and Seahawks fan alike can provide some INTELLIGENT analysis. I'm not going to add any commentary, at least on this post, though I think the trend for each team is evident.

Rushing Yards vs NFC East opponents*

Seahawks: 103.5 ypg (yards per game)

Redskins: 116.3 ypg

Rushing Yards vs NFC West opponents**

Seahawks: 168.2 ypg

Redskins: 177.8 ypg

Rushing Yards Allowed vs NFC East opponents*

Seahawks: 133 ypg

Redskins: 116.8 ypg

Rushing Yards Allowed vs NFC West opponents**

Seahawks: 80.8 ypg

Redskins: 92.5 ypg

---

Passing Yards vs NFC East opponents*

Seahawks: 194.5 ypg

Redskins: 176.5 ypg

Passing Yards vs NFC West opponents**

Seahawks: 244.2 ypg

Redskins: 184 ypg

---

Passing Yards Allowed vs NFC East opponents*

Seahawks: 193.8 ypg

Redskins: 209.2 ypg

Passing Yards Allowed vs NFC West opponents**

Seahawks: 224.5 ypg

Redskins: 167.8 ypg

---

Points Scored vs NFC East opponents*

Seahawks: 24 ppg(points per game)

Redskins: 22 ppg

Points Scored vs NFC West opponents**

Seahawks: 34.3 ppg(points per game)

Redskins: 28.3 ppg

---

Points Allowed vs NFC East Opponents*

Seahawks: 12.8 ppg

Redskins: 17.2 ppg

Points Allowed vs NFC West Opponents**

Seahawks: 17.7 ppg

Redskins: 14 ppg

---

Time of Possession vs NFC East Opponents*

Seahawks: 26:52 min

Redskins: 29:11 min

Time of Possession vs NFC West Opponents*

Seahawks: 31:02 min

Redskins: 34:10 min

---

*The Seahawks average for each vs NFC East category is the average of games vs WAS, DAL, NYG & PHI. The Redskins average is against DAL (2), NYG (2) & PHI (2).

**The Redskins average for each vs NFC West category is the average of games vs SEA, ARI, STL & SF. The Seahawks average is against ARI (2), STL (2) & SF (2).

I'm going to give myself a :applause: for doing this. Took a good 3 hours.

Interesting stats. Looks like they have something of an advantage when it comes to the passing attack...

maybe. i think its interesting that the skins have rushed better and stopped the rush better- vs common opponents (for the most part anyway).

time of possession is in the skins favor- and that is joe gibbs game. it shows the skins can control a game.

Your welcome Monte, I miss you.

I think these stats underscore the importance of having our secondary back at full strength. Seattle has a good passing attack and Springs will hopefully offset that. Clinton has to get into a flow early on in this game I think for us to have the type of game we are hoping for. Gibbs had the Skins moving the ball effectively in the first match-up, that was the one game I went to this year. We won't be able to rely on converting all those 3rd and longs like we did that game. In all, I'm especting a close game, no way the Skins get embarrassed like I keep hearing. Prediction: Skins 24 Hawks 23

Nice compilation. :)

I do find yard/game stats to be largely meaningless. They never account for unique situations such as a blowout followed by sitting on the ball or a freezing field where neither team can do anything.

Averages also get skewed when outliers are present or sample sizes are small, as evidenced by the Hawks 24 pt avg versus NFC East teams. 42 points against the Eagles clearly influenced that statistic.

I guess the only thing I might change to make it "more objective" is use data from common opponents played in the same venue. i.e. We had the Giants and Cowboys at home, so you only use the data from the games in Washington. In reality though, even comparing games against common opponents is highly flawed as teams are in different mental and physical states from week to week.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20051002_SEA@WAS

another interesting stat was that the skins converted 13 of 18 3rd downs. thats amazing. seattle was 6 for 12. and the skins outrushed the hawks 141-119 (that had something to do with the skins having a 14-3 lead- still its does not suck and again shows the skins can rush vs this D and control the clock.) TOP was over 36 minutes for the skins. a seattle fan had said earlier that their D is vulnerable to the pass. that seemed true in the first game with the skins 3rd down conversions. i expect the skins to run the ball while taking the occasional shot to moss downfield or across the middle like he did in the last game in OT. seattle hasnt faced a rushing team anywhere near the skins, and that is a fact.

keep in mind that seattle wins games by getting an early lead via the alexander express. when the table are turned, they are out of their element. with our D creating TO's at a ridiculous rate- and with seattle likely not being able to shut down our running game (the 141 yards they gave up to the skins was almost 50 yards over their average of 94 per game), they could be playing catch up and that is not their strength.

if our D can keep up its torrid pace, expect some decent field position and some early scoring my the skins and more of the above.

keep in mind that seattle wins games by getting an early lead via the alexander express. when the table are turned, they are out of their element.
That's not entirely true. Out of the 13 wins, the Seahawks trailed in 6 of them. Some of them were late comebacks.
i expect the skins to run the ball while taking the occasional shot to moss downfield...
And I expect there to be at least one (possibly questionable) PI call go against the Seahawks. Probably be Trufant who gets the flag.
if our D can keep up its torrid pace, expect some decent field position and some early scoring my the skins and more of the above.
Yep, if the Skins D plays like they did against Tampa and the offense comes around, it could be a long day for the Seahawks.

Impressive. Thanks for doing that. Finally some new stats that we haven't seen a million times.

Amen to that. Good work to the guy that put it together. Gets past all of the "You had a weaker schedule" and "We've got a better running game" crud and just puts the facts out there. When you look at it in those terms, the game looks like a pretty big toss up (which we all know it is when we're being honest with ourselves).

Kudos on resisting the temptation to be a homer and just reporting the facts.

Nice compilation. :)

I do find yard/game stats to be largely meaningless. They never account for unique situations such as a blowout followed by sitting on the ball or a freezing field where neither team can do anything.

Averages also get skewed when outliers are present or sample sizes are small, as evidenced by the Hawks 24 pt avg versus NFC East teams. 42 points against the Eagles clearly influenced that statistic.

I guess the only thing I might change to make it "more objective" is use data from common opponents played in the same venue. i.e. We had the Giants and Cowboys at home, so you only use the data from the games in Washington. In reality though, even comparing games against common opponents is highly flawed as teams are in different mental and physical states from week to week.

I agree. I think the key is to take the stats for what their worth and not read the world into them. You'll get some people that will try to use these stats to prove one point or another. I think what you really look for in them is the "general" message in them. What I get from them is that both teams are in the same ballpark. If you did a comparison against the Texans or the Raiders, you would notice the obvious differences between these two teams and those. I think the stats basically just prove out that the two teams are in the same class.

That's not entirely true. Out of the 13 wins, the Seahawks trailed in 6 of them. Some of them were late comebacks.

hmmm...i didnt know that. now i have to rethink my stats.. :D

Yep, if the Skins D plays like they did against Tampa and the offense comes around, it could be a long day for the Seahawks.

agreed.

Amen to that. Good work to the guy that put it together. Gets past all of the "You had a weaker schedule" and "We've got a better running game" crud and just puts the facts out there. When you look at it in those terms, the game looks like a pretty big toss up (which we all know it is when we're being honest with ourselves).

Kudos on resisting the temptation to be a homer and just reporting the facts.

Glad you guys enjoyed my post. The Seahawks can't be blamed for having a weaker schedule, they beat the teams they faced. They deserve their seed. On the other hand the Redskins, as Gibbs likes to say are "Battle Tested." Who knows how the turnovers will turn out, but anyone who thinks that this game is going to be a one sided affair is being a homer.

Archived