Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell has that Old Super Bowl Itch.

s0crates

I was watching Brunell's interview today on Redskins.com, and he was asked about being the oldest QB left in the playoffs. He discussed his career in retrospect a little bit which got me thinking. This may be Brunell's last chance to win a Championship.

Brunell is rated as one of the NFL's top 10 passers. All time. Regardless of what anybody thinks about the passer rating system, this is a truely remarkable accomplishment. Brunell has also accumulated 30,000 passing yards over the course of his career, which puts him in the company of folks like Sonny Jurgenson, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, and Jim Kelly.

Yep. There is no doubt about it. Mark Brunell has had an outstanding football career. This fact is often overlooked because he hasn't won a Super Bowl. In his college days, Brunell won a National Championship. He has yet to win the big one in the NFL though, and at 35, his time may be running out. Who knows. This may be his last good shot. Coming off a regular season in which he threw the most TD's ever in his career, he is ready to try. He has an outstanding group of talent around him on offense, defense, and special teams. And, most importantly, he is only 3 wins aways.

That should be an excellent motivation. Remember Elway late in his career? Or even Theismann, Williams, and Rypien? They were all savy old veterans who got one last shot. Will Brunell be the next in line after these great players?

Opportunity knocks. Will Brunell answer the door?

Nice post. I wonder if this is floating in his head right now. The playoffs are never guaranteed. He is in it NOW, and has a shot at the ultimate goal of the season. How great would it be to top off his greatest season as a Pro with a Super Bowl victory. On another note. Defy the odds skins. 3 more wins baby and it's ours. Hail to the Redskins.

I have to admit, I've just been thinking about these paly-offs from a whole team or a "for Gibbs" POV. In the last game of the regular season, I had serious but not equal interest in seeing Moss & CP get those records as us beating the eagles and clenching the spot.

But I haven't though until now, how cool a story it also would be for a great guy like Mark to go to the Big Dance at this point in a great career. I really like that spin.

We have to remember that Marc Brunnell has had a pretty good NFL Career. He might not be Hall of Fame Caliber but this is a guy who took a second year expansion team to the AFC Championship Game and in 1999 if it wasn't for the Tennessee Titans he could have gone to the Super Bowl with the Jaguars.

He is getting toward the end of his career and he does want to go the the NFL Premier Stage before his hangs it up.

Mark had some really really good games this year.. the passes were right on the money... I just hope that his knee is okay and that its time to bust a good game on the Seahawks. Our offense didn't play that much last week.. and I didn't see him get hit that badly, so he should be ready.

Come on Mark, we're all rooting for you!

watch his interview before responding. Mark is a smart guy, and he comes across as a very honest man. He's the guy that got us to the playoffs, and he will continue next year as well. Mark my words.

The interview is what inspired this post in the first place.:cheers:

Although it's a stretch, you could kind of compare Mark to Doug Williams. Although Doug played on a terrible team in Tampa, he was considered a good qb. While Mark had some good moments in Jax, he still didn't win it all.

Doug did it for us. What's to say that Mark can't do it for us too?

HTTR

Archived