Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alexander "The not so Great"

skinstzar

I myself am usually not a huge believer in stats, however as I started to look into the season of Shaun Alexander I began to realize why the Seahags haven't been so eager to re-up him and keep him around long term. Alexander’s season totals are as follows.

370 carries

1880 yards

27 TDs

Awesome numbers no doubt. Now let’s look into the defenses that Alexander went up against. Here are some interesting tidbits.

-Did you know that Alexander faced only one of the top 10 defenses in the league? That defense was the Arizona Cardinals. They are ranked exactly 10th in rush defense. Oh, he played them twice.

-Did you know that the average rushing defensive rank of Alexander's opponents is 18th. That right. 18th.

A casual football fan might say so what to the above mentioned stats. Maybe he rushed well against the upper echelon teams that he played against. Well here are his numbers against rushing defenses ranked 10-15

NY- Ranked 11th in rush D. Couldn't find the total number but the entire team only had 127 yards on 34 carries and they played an extra quarter

Wash- Ranked 12th in rush D. He had 20 carries 98 yards

Jax- Ranked 13th 14 carries 73 yards

Dallas- Ranked 15th 21 carries 61 yards

Wow that is impressive right? So where did he get all of his yards? He did play 6 games against the NFC West. In those six games he got 820 of his 1880 yards. Again, this is against teams the likes of SF, ranked 16th in rush defense, St Louis ranked 29th, played them twice. Sprinkle on top a little bit of Houston ranked dead last at 32nd in the league he got 141 of his 1880 right there and 4 touchdowns. Interesting note, Maurice Morris also had over 100 yards in that game for the Seasluts. WHO? Muarice Morris?

I think we can all agree that the Seahawks motor is fueled by Alexander. The pundits sit atop their thrones at ESPN and SI, claiming "Alexander the Great", "Alexander the Great". These pontificators are paid insane amounts of money to do the research, find the facts. Know a bit about what the vomit they spew from their flapping gums. I don't have access to the tools that these fools do. I don’t have all the time in the day to spend on such trivial things. I simply followed the two links listed below to find everything I ever needed to know about Shaun Alexander's magical season. The experts are merely a bunch of sycophants who drool over anyone they deem to be great. It is sickening and it is an insult to good fans. Fans like us fans of the greatest team in the history of sport. Fans who know of what they speak.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-RUSHING/2005/regular

http://www.nfl.com/teams/schedule/SEA

We should respect the Seahawks, but by no means should we feel like we can't win this game. Don't fall victim to the media hype behind one Shaun Alexander. He is a fraud.

Sorry for the long post.

Good post. I think everyone can agree they have benefited from their soft and weak schedule.

Maybe after this week, the mediots will recognize exactly what we have going for us this year.

You can make a parellell to NCAA Hoops and easy non-conference schedules. They'll go undefeated in their easy games then lose to a decent team. UConn and Lville ring a bell.

Alexander is not a fraud ... he's an above-average running back ... He was stopped cold by the Skins in the earlier game, but for a 3 yd. TD and a 40 or so run down the sideline. Don't obssess over him ... the greater challenge is stopping Hasselbeck who is capable of shredding the Skins if we do not pressure him. Blitzing Hasselbeck frequently will keep Alexander in his protect mode and back on his heels ... In the earlier game we got to the QB in the first half and rattled his cage ... but for some reason Williams went into a prevent mode in the second half and Hasselbeck was virtually unstoppable. Rematch games are almost always different. This one will be no exception. The Skins need big plays on offense and at least one point-producing defensive turnover to win. If so, the Skins will win surprisingly easily and the anti-Skin-NFL-Media-World will be traumatized. It should only happen.

Great stuff ... I never stopped to add up the yards he got against the weaker run defenses .... interesting how about 1,000 of his yards came against the NFC West and Houston. Hopefully we hold him to 100 + 1 TD or less .... I agree with the posts that say that the main concern is Hasselback. He is very streaky and can get over confident ... so if we get him rattled early, hopefully we will have a big day.

The other thing we need to do is stop playing so conservatively. We need to sustain long drives by changing up play calling so that we don't have so many 3 and outs. The thing that really really scares me is how many 3rd and longs we converted against Seattle. It was a fluke for our team to convert so many ... considering that we have struggled for the most part all season unless beating up on a team like San Francisco. I hope that we come out blazing and that we don't let up. Having a very very strong offensive performance (4 TD's or more) would shut up the media and really intimidate the team we face next weekend.

The reason I couldn't find the rushing stats for Alexander in the Giants game was because the only mention of Alexander in the recap was this

"In that opening half, the Giants' slanting and scheming defense throttled the Seahawks' top-ranked offense. New York followed Dallas' successful script of last month by shoving as many as nine defenders close to the line of scrimmage against NFL rushing leader Shaun Alexander, daring Seattle to win through the air."

We all know that if the Seafairies go to the air against us they are going to get smacked. ST is pissed and we are finally close to healthy at D-back.

While he is awesome, it will be interesting to see if he decides to leave Seattle to play for a higher profile franchise in a tougher division (like Philly). He would certainly sacrifice some stats but he may get more props from the rest of the league in the long run.

Hawks fan here.

The secret to SA's success is threefold.

1. Walter Jones LT (All Pro)

2. Steve Hutchinson LG (All Pro)

3. Mack Strong FB (All Pro)

SA isn't chopped liver either though, but the left side of the Seattle line is totally legit and Strong is a great blocking back.

Nice post, however they did finish with 13 wins and that is tough to do in the nfl. I completely agree, we need to go out there with respect, but certainly not fear. They need to fear the white on white!!!

True, they did finish 13-3, but the Redskins could have easily finished 13-3...we had the Tampa Bay, Oakland, and San Diego games won, but let them slip away at the end. NFW Seattle goes 13-3 if they were in the NFC Beast!

Hawks fan here.

SA isn't chopped liver either though, but the left side of the Seattle line is totally legit and Strong is a great blocking back.

SA, 1, 2, and 3 all benefit from soft D-lines also. Keep trying though.

Hawks fan here.

Agreed. It's going to be hard knock blocking that is going to be the key to Alexanders success. If your O-line can out last our D-line. Alexander will be productive. However, I don't see him breaking many as our LB's are really amped about life.

Hawks fan here.

Honestly, if I had to pick one key to the game, it's here.

Daniels/Salave'a/Arrington or Washington must at least be able to battle to a draw here.

I think Jones is the real deal at LT and better than Samuels.

Hawks fan here.

The left side of your O-line is phenomenal. We just have the guys to fill the gaps. Lavar Arrington will blow up your guard-Tackle gap and our pure speed and pursuit will stop Alexander all day long. Sean Taylor, Ryan Clark, Carlos Rogers, Walt Harris, Shawn Springs. These guys play the run better than any secondary in the league. They are always around the line in support and will make it a very long day for Mr. Alexander.

Keep in mind that Shawn Springs knows Mike Holmgren and this offense in and out. You give Gregg Williams an insider like that and you can forget about it. On to Chicagolina.

Hawks fan here.

And guess who's side of the field that belongs to................#56 Lavar Arrington....Tell SA to not let up when he sees that train coming because right behind him will be Lemar, than MW and ST will finish him off. I hope he enjoys that left side:notworthy

This is a dangerous thread. Believe me, I happen to agree that this year the Seahawks are overrated because of the soft schedule but it's not like this guy just decided to have a breakout year this year! He has been a solid back for a number of years now. I'm not saying we can't stop him but he deserves the respect our D seems to be giving him in the early interviews I have seen. His only weakness, and this could come into play BIG TIME this weak, is that I don't believe he is a great reciever out of the backfield. He has a tendancy to drop more passes than he makes. That is a big disadvantage and one of the main reasons why people don't consider him the best "running back" in the league. They look towards guys like LT and Tiki because of their total yards from scrimmage, not just rushing yards anymore. :2cents:

:seahawksu :point2sky

any skins fan that says alexander is a joke... is pretty much a football moron.

alexander is one of the top 3 rbs in the nfl. I don't care what schedule he had. You don't put up 1800 & almost 30 tds on acident.

Ladanian Tomlinson

Larry Johnson

Clinton Portis

Tiki Barber

Duece Mcallister (when healthy)

Edgerrin James

Lamont Jordan

All of these players can do more than simply run off the left side. Sean Alexander is a beneficiary of a great left tackle and guard. Nothing more. Why do you think the Seahawks haven't inked him. If he was one of the 3 best backs in the league they would have signed him by now. Read the original post also. Maurice Morris averaged over 4 yards a carry for this team. The only morons are the clones who believe whatever espn and their fantasy football board tell them.

We'll see how Alexander feels in the 4th after he's been cracked all day by our D. He hasn't felt the physicality of the East or hardly any physical D for that matter. He better bring his hard hat.

I agree. That's basically why I think we will win the game. Seattle hasn't been in many dogfights this year. We've been in many. I've already read where some of the Seahawks were saying the last game against us was very physical. And it's only going to be more physical this week.

Alexander is a very good back, not to be underestimated, but his numbers have been inflated by their soft schedule.

How come all the mediots talked down the 12-4 Jaguars because "they didn't really play anybody", but the soft schedule 13-3 Seagulls are praised??? The Jags were beaten in the playoffs by a solid, blue-collar type team with a very good defense....and so will the Seagals!!!

Wow that is impressive right? So where did he get all of his yards? He did play 6 games against the NFC West. In those six games he got 820 of his 1880 yards. Again, this is against teams the likes of SF, ranked 16th in rush defense, St Louis ranked 29th, played them twice. Sprinkle on top a little bit of Houston ranked dead last at 32nd in the league he got 141 of his 1880 right there and 4 touchdowns.

Awesome post. Only thing is Arizona is a NFC West team, not Houston. It really doesn't disprove anything you said, just FYI.

Archived