Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCune and White

rdavis2005

Found an interesting profile on both of these guys. They could be solid contributors to future Redskin playoff teams.

Manual White (2005)

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=302

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: FB Number: 29

School: UCLA Height: 6'2

This was a 6th year senior due to injuries, and a player I feel would benefit from a position change for the NFL, from running back to the fullback position

He has the size needed right now to convert over to the fullback spot, the only thing I would question would be his ability to block, which he has had little to no experience at doing

He has excellent cutback ability and vision for a player his size, and a bit of a burst, but not enough of a burst, quick feet or speed, along with a stiff running style, which contributes to my feeling that he would be better off at the fullback position at the NFL level

He brings excellent leg drive and strength to his runs, keeps his legs moving which makes him that much more difficult to tackle, frequently breaks arm tackles, along with the knack of finishing off his runs always leaning forward, and a punishing runner that wears down his opponents with his tough down hill running style, a better than average athlete, and he brings his skills and experience as a running back to the fullback position as well

He also has a good pair of hands coming out of the backfield, which makes him that much more of a threat at the fullback position, and when you add his running ability to the package, he can be potentially be a hand full for defense to worry about, bring a running and pass catching threat to a offense from the fullback spot which is rare

As for his draft status, I see him drafted in the (6th RD or later), mainly due to his prior injury history, lack of playing time in college to show his skills, and the majority of scouts judge his skill package as a running back instead of as the vision of moving his skill sets to the fullback spot, which makes him a more valuable player, so some team will find a gem in the later rounds of the draft, or as a street free-agent!

Robert McCune (2005) http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=166

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Position: ILB Number: 54

School: Louisville Height: 6'0

A player that reminds me a lot like former NFL inside linebacker "Mike Singletary", he has a similar body structure, intensity, toughness and ability to consistently be in on several tackles

He pursues well to the ball, and once he makes contact squarely you more often than not go back the other way, he is already at a disadvantage age wise being (25) years old, why that is I am not exactly sure

He is a good athlete as well, that uses his athletic ability to fly in pursuit of the ball, with wild abandon

I am not sure of his pass defense ability against the pass

As for his draft status, I feel at this time the late (4th RD), mainly because of his height, too many scouts worry about measurables more than the players production on the field, and that could be never so more apparent with this player, nice value here with this player

McCune is okay. 26 is still young. Had the Redskins thought he wasn't worth anything they wouldn't have drafted him. As far as White, it's hard to say. I haven't seen much of him to give my assesment of him.

He was drafted in what, the 6th round I believe, somewhere late. 26 is not young for a rookie, that has to take a couple of years to develop. by that time he will be 28, 29, an age where you start getting slower, heal slower, etc.

McCune served some time in the U.S. military which is why his NFL experience is curbed. That's not his fault. But that's not such a bad thing. A 26 year old rookie is more mature than a 21 or 22 year old rookie so that isn't a bad thing.

There was a story about a man named Brady, who was drafted also in the sixth round. Two hundred rookies were taken before him in the draft and this man has led his team to 3 Super Bowl titles in the span of four years. Who would have ever thought that a 6th round draft pick was capable to do that?

It doesn't matter what round you are drafted in. McCune just needs his chance, just like Antonio Pierce needed to get his chance, who by the way was undrafted and now look where he is now.

McCune served some time in the U.S. military which is why his NFL experience is curbed. That's not his fault. But that's not such a bad thing. A 26 year old rookie is more mature than a 21 or 22 year old rookie so that isn't a bad thing.

There was a story about a man named Brady, who was drafted also in the sixth round. Two hundred rookies were taken before him in the draft and this man has led his team to 3 Super Bowl titles in the span of four years. Who would have ever thought that a 6th round draft pick was capable to do that?

It doesn't matter what round you are drafted in. McCune just needs his chance, just like Antonio Pierce needed to get his chance, who by the way was undrafted and now look where he is now.

First of all, no on is saying its his fault, but its the truth that he is a rookie. Pierce was not 26 when he was drafted, Pierce sat for 4 years before he got his chance. Now he is 27, will be 28 in October. Are we willing to have McCune wait 4 years before becoming a contributer. He will be 30 then.

And I know your not comparing McCune to Brady. The only thing they do have in common is what round they where drafted in, thats all. Remember, McCune was CUT earlier this year by Gibbs. We later signed him to the practice squad.

I pull for the guy, he is a player that its impossible not to root for, but the truth of the matter is that he has a HUGE uphill climb, almost impossible to become a solid contributer on Defence.

First of all, no on is saying its his fault, but its the truth that he is a rookie. Pierce was not 26 when he was drafted, Pierce sat for 4 years before he got his chance. Now he is 27, will be 28 in October. Are we willing to have McCune wait 4 years before becoming a contributer. He will be 30 then.

And I know your not comparing McCune to Brady. The only thing they do have in common is what round they where drafted in, thats all. Remember, McCune was CUT earlier this year by Gibbs. We later signed him to the practice squad.

I pull for the guy, he is a player that its impossible not to root for, but the truth of the matter is that he has a HUGE uphill climb, almost impossible to become a solid contributer on Defence.

Lemar Marshall has more experience than McCune which is the reason he's starting. Even Khary Campbell has been thrown into the lineup so Greg Williams and Greg Blanche do let rookie thrive in this defense. Honestly, I don't know where McCune is on the depth chart but maybe he's an injury away from playing. I'm not wishing anything bad on Marshall, but I'm pretty sure McCune would be a great middle linebacker if given the opportunity. It's too soon to write him off.

As far as his age goes, what difference does it make? 26 may be uncommon for a rookie linebacker, but for whatever reason, the Redskins defensive coaches and scouts saw something in McCune that they obviously liked.

Let me tell you something about McCune. The man is a crushing force on kickoff coverage. I've never seen anything like it. I caught him on one return blasting through someone. Then the next one I watched and he put two guys down. I told Die Hard to watch McCune on the kickoffs because he's killing people. After the game I approached him -- he was surprised to be approached as he's not a name player and did nothing of note to receive "media" attention.

I simply asked him not to kill anyone on kick coverage and told him I was watching him and saw him blow people up. He was pretty happy it was noticed and said that's his job.

Let me tell you something about McCune. The man is a crushing force on kickoff coverage. I've never seen anything like it. I caught him on one return blasting through someone. Then the next one I watched and he put two guys down. I told Die Hard to watch McCune on the kickoffs because he's killing people. After the game I approached him -- he was surprised to be approached as he's not a name player and did nothing of note to receive "media" attention.

I simply asked him not to kill anyone on kick coverage and told him I was watching him and saw him blow people up. He was pretty happy it was noticed and said that's his job.

That's the only first-hand report, or really individual report of any kind, I've heard about McCune. Felt great reading that, thanks. I've been thinking about not just how great this year has gone, but how good the future looks.

So many of our guys on both sides of the ball are young, and we have some serious potential front runners of tomorrow in Nemo & Campbell. And we are bringing these guys up in-house. Gibbs. Beautiful :) .

Archived