Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skinz QB next season?

BobbyDigital

I am on the side of the fence which believes that Brunell is washed up and that the redskins have, for the most part, won DESPITE him. However, there is nothing you can do about it now. The only way Brunell is coming off the field is if he gets carted off. I really wish Gibbs would have let Ramsey develop and get comfortable with the offense this year instead of pulling him the second he made a mistake. This team would have been a much better team in the long run if Ramsey was kept in their because Ramsey can make the DIFFICULT passes. When a reciever seems covered he has the ability to put the ball in a place where ONLY the reciever can make a play on the ball; he can make ALL the throws. The irony is that this is also his biggest weakness, because he has this ability he often forces balls which results in INT's, which is exactly why Gibbs choose Brunell over Ramsey. Gibbs would rather have a QB that can manage the game and wont throw many INT's but at the same time wont make the necessary difficult passes either. The thing is, I really believe that in time Ramsey would develop the intangibles that Brunell has, he just has never gotten the opportunity to Develop. Because of Gibbs' decision Ramsey is GONE after this season and Brunell is now completely washed up, the guy simply cannot make it through the season. To make things worse, we signed Brunell to a rediculously GIGANTIC contract. Does anyone know why Brunell is not asked to restructure????? He gets payed wayyyyyy more than what he is worth and we could realllllly use the cap space. I say the skins do what the bengals did; after John Kitna had that pro bowl year they said thank you very much and benched him in favor of carson palmer. The same needs to be done now, Brunell has had a decent year but he is finished. Next season put in Campbell, see if hes got what it takes. Im not sold at all on Campbell. I am, however, certain that if Ramsey gets on with the right team he will become an excellent QB. I loved what I saw from Ramsey in the preseason, he was spreading the ball around and throwing great passes, and in time the INT's would go down as well. Basically we are SCREWED next year because of Gibbs decision to go with Brunell this year. Ramsey will be gone, Brunell is washed up and no one has a clue what Campbell can do. I doubt we will pick another QB up through free agency or the draft.

Wow, I can't believe this. Brunell should have made the pro bowl squad but was slighted when they chose Michael Vick over him. The Redskins wouldn't have made it this far with Ramsey starting, trust me on that.

Brunell came into the playoffs with a 85.9 passer rating. He had 3050 yards passing during the season along with 23 touchdown passes and 10 interception which indicates that he's nowhere near washed up.

Bobby Digital is the alternate identity to RZA.

Simply put, barring a career ending injury to Brunell, he will be our quarterback next year and Ramsey will be traded. I hate this fact moreso than the pick of Jason Campbell, what a wasted pick.

We shall see how it works out for him Saturday. He has gotten us to the playoffs, but in no way will he do it in concurrent seasons.

It is amazing how many people on this site sound like they just watched their first NFL game ever this past weekend. How could anyone say that Campbell was a wasted pick. There is absolutely no info that indicates that yet. Looking at first year results, Favre, Jurgy, and NUMEROUS other HOF and HOF-to-be QB's were also wasted picks. You guys need to learn just the TINIEST bit of patience.

Flashback - people said the same thing about Doug Williams & Jay Schroeder. And Williams was way more "washed up" than Brunell. And Schroeder was far more "proven" than Ramsey. Bonus: a far less promising prospect than Campbell, Mark Rypien, took over & probowled his 2nd year. And the rest as they say ... is history.

Hard to second guess Gibbs on QBs. Of everything he does so well that is what he does best. If he is not going to be trusted on that, then why even bother hiring him??

Strangely, I think the Ramsey/Brunell thing has nothing to do with arm, deliery or even mistakes. Listening to Gibbs interviews, especially when talking about quarterbacking all season he keeps repeating something. He seems to believe a qb has a sixth sense, a sort of paranormal ability to feel pressure, to feel what's going on without having to look. He talks about "either you have it or you don't" and the ones that don't get killed. I think Gibbs believes Ramsey lacks some kind of instinct, some kind of awareness that can't be trained or developed, but is inherent. The slide to avoid pressure. The knowledge of when to run and when to pull up and throw when you're running for your life. Spurrier thought qbing was about courage. Gibbs thinks it's about instincts and smarts. I'm probably overplaying this, but that's what he really has praised Brunell on in Channel four when he talks about Mark.

How would Ramsey look in this offense now that he's had a little more time to get accustomed to it? He did have limited starts last year in Gibbs' first year back afterall. Does watching Brunell run this offense and learning from him help him to become a better QB? Who knows for sure. I do know that when Ramsey came in to relieve Brunell in the Giants game, I noticed improvement in his play. The tempo of his execution (handoffs to Portis, or when he would drop back and check off receiver options) was quicker, he seemed to sense pressure better, and made better decisions on when to throw it out of bounds. That's why I'm surprised that people are so quick to point to him as a worse option than an injured Brunell.

I'm not sure if Brunell has enough left in his tank to last a full season and take this team all the way anymore. Last week, they won despite Brunell's play and in the playoffs that will catch up with them and bite them square in the butt if it continues. While I fully expect to see Ramsey traded this offseason, part of me is curious to see to see what would happen if Brunell opted to retire and accept a position on Gibbs' staff as the QB coach (with Musgrave being promoted to offensive coordinator) and then have Ramsey given the chance to start with Campbell the #2 guy. Ramsey would be in his contract year...if he delivers with solid play he is rewarded with a new contract, if not, he is allowed to depart via free agency and then Campbell is given his shot the following year.

Archived