Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skinz QB next season?

BobbyDigital

I am on the side of the fence which believes that Brunell is washed up and that the redskins have, for the most part, won DESPITE him. However, there is nothing you can do about it now. The only way Brunell is coming off the field is if he gets carted off. I really wish Gibbs would have let Ramsey develop and get comfortable with the offense this year instead of pulling him the second he made a mistake. This team would have been a much better team in the long run if Ramsey was kept in their because Ramsey can make the DIFFICULT passes. When a reciever seems covered he has the ability to put the ball in a place where ONLY the reciever can make a play on the ball; he can make ALL the throws. The irony is that this is also his biggest weakness, because he has this ability he often forces balls which results in INT's, which is exactly why Gibbs choose Brunell over Ramsey. Gibbs would rather have a QB that can manage the game and wont throw many INT's but at the same time wont make the necessary difficult passes either. The thing is, I really believe that in time Ramsey would develop the intangibles that Brunell has, he just has never gotten the opportunity to Develop. Because of Gibbs' decision Ramsey is GONE after this season and Brunell is now completely washed up, the guy simply cannot make it through the season. To make things worse, we signed Brunell to a rediculously GIGANTIC contract. Does anyone know why Brunell is not asked to restructure????? He gets payed wayyyyyy more than what he is worth and we could realllllly use the cap space. I say the skins do what the bengals did; after John Kitna had that pro bowl year they said thank you very much and benched him in favor of carson palmer. The same needs to be done now, Brunell has had a decent year but he is finished. Next season put in Campbell, see if hes got what it takes. Im not sold at all on Campbell. I am, however, certain that if Ramsey gets on with the right team he will become an excellent QB. I loved what I saw from Ramsey in the preseason, he was spreading the ball around and throwing great passes, and in time the INT's would go down as well. Basically we are SCREWED next year because of Gibbs decision to go with Brunell this year. Ramsey will be gone, Brunell is washed up and no one has a clue what Campbell can do. I doubt we will pick another QB up through free agency or the draft.

I am on the side of the fence which believes that Brunell is washed up and that the redskins have, for the most part, won DESPITE him. However, there is nothing you can do about it now. The only way Brunell is coming off the field is if he gets carted off. I really wish Gibbs would have let Ramsey develop and get comfortable with the offense this year instead of pulling him the second he made a mistake. This team would have been a much better team in the long run if Ramsey was kept in their because Ramsey can make the DIFFICULT passes. When a reciever seems covered he has the ability to put the ball in a place where ONLY the reciever can make a play on the ball; he can make ALL the throws. The irony is that this is also his biggest weakness, because he has this ability he often forces balls which results in INT's, which is exactly why Gibbs choose Brunell over Ramsey. Gibbs would rather have a QB that can manage the game and wont throw many INT's but at the same time wont make the necessary difficult passes either. The thing is, I really believe that in time Ramsey would develop the intangibles that Brunell has, he just has never gotten the opportunity to Develop. Because of Gibbs' decision Ramsey is GONE after this season and Brunell is now completely washed up, the guy simply cannot make it through the season. To make things worse, we signed Brunell to a rediculously GIGANTIC contract. Does anyone know why Brunell is not asked to restructure????? He gets payed wayyyyyy more than what he is worth and we could realllllly use the cap space. I say the skins do what the bengals did; after John Kitna had that pro bowl year they said thank you very much and benched him in favor of carson palmer. The same needs to be done now, Brunell has had a decent year but he is finished. Next season put in Campbell, see if hes got what it takes. Im not sold at all on Campbell. I am, however, certain that if Ramsey gets on with the right team he will become an excellent QB. I loved what I saw from Ramsey in the preseason, he was spreading the ball around and throwing great passes, and in time the INT's would go down as well. Basically we are SCREWED next year because of Gibbs decision to go with Brunell this year. Ramsey will be gone, Brunell is washed up and no one has a clue what Campbell can do. I doubt we will pick another QB up through free agency or the draft.

Bobby Digital...are you the brother of the infamous Mike TV?

This is how I see it it going down next season. I think Ramsey will be traded to a team willing ot give him a chance to start. Brunell will again be our main man, with Campbell at the #2 position. Depending on Campbell's development, theres a chance of a battle for the starting job between the two next season, but I am fairly confident Campbell will remain a backup. The good thing is he will probably get some snaps next season here and there at end of games, and by the following season he will be ready to be the main man in D.C.

Bobby Digital is the alternate identity to RZA.

Simply put, barring a career ending injury to Brunell, he will be our quarterback next year and Ramsey will be traded. I hate this fact moreso than the pick of Jason Campbell, what a wasted pick.

We shall see how it works out for him Saturday. He has gotten us to the playoffs, but in no way will he do it in concurrent seasons.

Before everyone starts jumping on the Campbell-starting bandwagon I would like to point out the fate of all 4 first time playoff QB's this weekend. 3 loses and a blown out knee. The Redskins are going to be too good next year to start a 2nd year QB, no matter how good he is or is going to be. I don't know a list of free-agent QB's but one I do know about, and one that's been talked about here before, is Jon Kitna. He doesn't seem halfbad IMO. Just a thought.

Ramsey will be here next season. Unless he makes a big stink about it like Coles, I believe Gibbs values an experienced quarterback who already knows the system, over getting some meager draft pick in a trade. If Brunell is still around next season and somehow gets hurt during the season, we will need an experienced backup to take us through the rest of the season and the playoffs, instead of a second year quarterback with no playing experience.

This isn't fantasy football...look what happened to the Jets this past season in regards to their QB situation. Also, the 49ers traded one of their experienced QBs, and then they were sol after Alex Smith and their backup got hurt.

I loved what I saw from Ramsey in the preseason, he was spreading the ball around and throwing great passes, and in time the INT's would go down as well. Basically we are SCREWED next year because of Gibbs decision to go with Brunell this year. Ramsey will be gone, Brunell is washed up and no one has a clue what Campbell can do. I doubt we will pick another QB up through free agency or the draft.

You loved what you saw from Ramsey in the preseason? Really? He looked bad. I mean he had a few occurrences where he made great plays, but those were washed away when he would make 3 other boneheaded plays. I love Ramsey and I wish him the best, but after watching him in preseason, and then to see him come into the season and make the exact same mistakes was the last straw for me. I mean, I've been saying forever that "in time the ints will go down.", but it hasn't happened. I've tried defending him when he would make mistakes, and I'd try to look past it, but when I saw Brunell playing well, and Campbell playing well, and Ramsey playing okay it really started to sink in that Ramsey was really not getting it done.

I think Campbell looked solid in the opportunities that he was given during the offseason. But we'll see how that plays out. But the more I think about Campbell, I start to feel good about him. I think he may be a really good QB for us.

Campbell worries me because, until his final year at Auburn, he wasn't a top notch QB. But that doesn't necessarily mean he'll fail in the NFL. He may go on to be a great NFL QB. But the idea that his presence may lead to Patrick's departure bothers me because Patrick has the skills to play at a high level. He just needs to develop mentally a bit more and not make bush-league mistakes.

It would pain me to see Patrick go have success elsewhere while we find out JC isn't very good. But only time will tell. I believe we will have Brunell for one more season no matter what.

Mark Brunell should deservedly be the starting QB going into next season's first regular season game. Patrick Ramsey should appropriately take over when or if Brunell is injured or loses early games. Patrick, by then, should have enough Gibbsian education and comfort in the Bugel-provided pocket to be a really good QB and either inherit the team and flourish or move on. Campbell will be the QB that Joe Gibbs leaves to us upon his departure with 3 years of proper learning and confidence.

My dream for our QB line of succession. Why not have it all?

Here's one for ya -- what about Brett Favre? If we could work it financially, tell me he would not be the perfect bridge until Campbell is ready to take over. Especially if the Pack doesn't hire Mariucci -- which will royally piss #4 off. You know he wants another shot at a ring too....

This is how I see it it going down next season. I think Ramsey will be traded to a team willing ot give him a chance to start. Brunell will again be our main man, with Campbell at the #2 position. Depending on Campbell's development, theres a chance of a battle for the starting job between the two next season, but I am fairly confident Campbell will remain a backup. The good thing is he will probably get some snaps next season here and there at end of games, and by the following season he will be ready to be the main man in D.C.

I agree with this. I think this is highly possible too.

Ramsey will be here next season. Unless he makes a big stink about it like Coles, I believe Gibbs values an experienced quarterback who already knows the system, over getting some meager draft pick in a trade. If Brunell is still around next season and somehow gets hurt during the season, we will need an experienced backup to take us through the rest of the season and the playoffs, instead of a second year quarterback with no playing experience.

This isn't fantasy football...look what happened to the Jets this past season in regards to their QB situation. Also, the 49ers traded one of their experienced QBs, and then they were sol after Alex Smith and their backup got hurt.

Amen to that. Gibbs doesn't like using young QBs, so Campbell is at least a year (or two) from being considered the starter. Brunell is valuable, but still fragile enough that Gibbs needs a veteran / established player who can step in capably at back-up, and that's Ramsey. There's no use trading him for a 4th round pick; it isn't worth it. You need two good QBs to be able to succeed in the league.

We wouldn't have made the playoffs with Ramsey at the helm, and I was a Ramsey supporter until I saw him in the preseason. I do however feel he will succeed with another organization.

Allright guys. Quit with these crazy predictions of what would have happened. We have no idea of how ramsey would have played.

I think Campbell looked solid in the opportunities that he was given during the offseason. But we'll see how that plays out. But the more I think about Campbell, I start to feel good about him. I think he may be a really good QB for us.

I like Campbell too, but you think he looked solid?

He looked like a rookie, no more. IN practice perhaps he performed at a higher level, but nothing I heard from any observers or the preseason games I saw indicated to me that Campbell outperformed Ramsey (according you, Ramsey played 'okay' and Campbell did well.)

Seriously, let's not go overboard. Campbell, sadly, will probably not be ready next year either and if we are relying on Campbell and Brunell we will likely be cursing the situation late in the year. The other part of that is Brunell is on his last legs. People point to him as the reason we're in the playoffs, which is a complete joke. When he was at his best, we actually went 4-4. Give him a short field and he's still really good. Make him drive consistently downfield a la Hasselbeck and he's wretched. Make him stay healthy the whole season (playing or not, he's not been healthy) and he has really bad performances where the rest of the team has to carry him.

I'm not saying anyone else WILL provide that, but if we lose Ramsey then we will need to find a veteran alternative to Brunell, not only to back him up but to challenge for the starting position. We cannot afford to have a pocket passer for 3-5 games a year and someone who is afraid or unable to utilize the middle of the field and step up in the pocket for the remainder of it.

My 2 cents.

Gibbs had a multi-year plan in mind when he came in.

He signed Mark Brunell, then drafted the QB from last year's draft whose style most closely resembles that of Brunell (Jason Campbell).

Gibbs has been molding Campbell this year while using Ramsey as a safety net (see Giants game). Campbell will move to backup duty next year while Ramsey is dealt for picks which are used to bolster both lines. Gibbs tries to squeeze one more year out of Brunell while still honing Campbell. Campbell will see playing time if Brunell is hurt, games are blowouts, or if the team is eliminated from playoff contention.

Campbell will surprise. People may forget that one of Campbell's talents is his scrambling ability, something that Brunell was marvelous at in his prime.

Let Gibbs do what he wants to do.

You are already seeing the benefits of a real football coach back in DC!!

HTTR!!!

Redskins 24

Seattle 21 OT

Archived