Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IQ Test. One question.

s0crates

Find the pattern in the following sequence of events. Then, based on this knowledge, predict the outcome of the of the unknown event marked with the symbol ***. Make a prediction then scroll down to see correct answer.

First meeting against Giants: Loss. 36-0

Second meeting: Win. 35-20

First meeting against Cowboys: Win. 14-13.

Second meeting: Win. 35-7.

First meeting against Eagles: Win. 17-10.

Second meeting: Win. 31-20.

First meeting with the Bucs: Loss. 36-35.

Second meeting: Win. 17-10.

First meeting with Seahawks: Win 20-17 (OT).

** Second meeting: ??? **

First meeting against the Giants: Loss. 20-14.

Second meeting Giants: Win. 31-7.

First meeting against Dallas: Loss. 21-18.

Second meeting: Loss. 13-10.

First meeting against Eagles: Loss. 28-6.

Second meeting: Loss. 17-14.

First meeting against the Cowboys: Loss. 23-10.

Second meeting: Win. 20-17

First meeting against the Eagles: Win. 16-12.

Second meeting: Loss. 17-13.

First meeting against The Giants: Loss. 24-7.

Second meeting: Win. 28-10.

First meeting against The Vikings: Win. 15-13.

Second meeting: Win. 24-7.

*** And the correct answer is. . . The Seahawks will win by 8.5 !!!! ***

(Seriously, though, how did they come up with that? :doh: ).

For those of you that don't recognize trends I'll explain what I mean. When Gibbs sees a team for a second time, he improves. In the 11 cases where Gibbs saw a team twice in his last three seasons: He has faired better 9 times, done the same once, and done worse only one time (in a game which mattered little late in the season). That means he does the same or better over 90% of the time he faces a team for the second time. That is a pretty incredible statistic if you think about it. (Note: For my example I choose his 3 most recent seasons, but trust me, it happened throughout his career. If anybody asks I can go further back).

Well, the line has to do with betting, so that is how they came up with the 8.5 number. They needed to provide those points so that the betting public is slit as evenly as possible -- 50% on Skins, 50% on Hawk. Has NOTHING to do with the factual strengths\weaknesses of the teams, but the PERCEIVED strengths\weaknesses of each team.

Well, the line has to do with betting, so that is how they came up with the 8.5 number. They needed to provide those points so that the betting public is slit as evenly as possible -- 50% on Skins, 50% on Hawk. Has NOTHING to do with the factual strengths\weaknesses of the teams, but the PERCEIVED strengths\weaknesses of each team.

How do they determine what will make it 50-50??

he did worse against the eagles the second time around in '92. but i get your point.

F the seahawks

F the media

thank god for the vegas guys for giving me a guarenteed win when i bet on the skins this weekend

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. It is fixed now.

How do they determine what will make it 50-50??

They have some pretty sharp people who set the initial line. Then, as money comes in, the line is changed to balance the betting. Rarely, the initial line is way off, but if it is, they quickly change it to bring in money from backers of whichever team is light.

Yes, Mike is correct... spreads are all about public PERCEPTION. That's why at least 50% of the bettors typically lose (and why Vegas always win ---- "juice").

Plus, Seattle is 8-0 at home this year, the media keeps calling the Redskins' offense "anemic," the Hawks are the #1 seed, they have a guy named Shawn Alexander, teams with byes typically blow out the wild card winners, and Seattle had a week off to rest and heal. The ONLY reason the spread isn't higher is because of Gibbs' track record and the perception that many people believe the Skins can keep it close. The rest of us, that know the kind of heart this team has, actually believe we can WIN!!!

Someone else on here posted that when Gibbs meets a team for the second time in a season, the Redskins improve by an average of 17 points in that second game over their first game against that opponent. 17 POINTS!!! An amazing statistic!!!

That, my friends, is the hallmark of a true genius!!! :cheers:

Someone else on here posted that when Gibbs meets a team for the second time in a season, the Redskins improve by an average of 17 points in that second game over their first game against that opponent. 17 POINTS!!! An amazing statistic!!!

That, my friends, is the hallmark of a true genius!!! :cheers:

:notworthy :applause: :notworthy

Find the pattern in the following sequence of events. Then, based on this knowledge, predict the outcome of the of the unknown event marked with the symbol ***. Make a prediction then scroll down to see correct answer.

First meeting against Giants: Loss. 36-0

Second meeting: Win. 35-20

First meeting against Cowboys: Win. 14-13.

Second meeting: Win. 35-7.

First meeting against Eagles: Win. 17-10.

Second meeting: Win. 31-20.

First meeting with the Bucs: Loss. 36-35.

Second meeting: Win. 17-10.

First meeting with Seahawks: Win 20-17 (OT).

** Second meeting: ??? **

First meeting against the Giants: Loss. 20-14.

Second meeting Giants: Win. 31-7.

First meeting against Dallas: Loss. 21-18.

Second meeting: Loss. 13-10.

First meeting against Eagles: Loss. 28-6.

Second meeting: Loss. 17-14.

*** And the correct answer is. . . The Seahawks will win by 8.5 !!!! ***

(Seriously, though, how did they come up with that? :doh: ).

For those of you that don't recognize trends I'll explain what I mean. When Gibbs sees a team for a second time, he improves. In the 11 cases where Gibbs saw a team twice in his last three seasons: He has faired better 9 times, done the same once, and done worse only one time (in a game which mattered little late in the season). That means he does the same or better over 90% of the time he faces a team for the second time. That is a pretty incredible statistic if you think about it. (Note: For my example I choose his 3 most recent seasons, but trust me, it happened throughout his career. If anybody asks I can go further back).

Interesting, but am I missing something?

If the Redskins improve almost every time they play a team twice, then how do you conclude the Redskins will lose to the Seahawks?

Interesting, but am I missing something?

If the Redskins improve almost every time they play a team twice, then how do you conclude the Redskins will lose to the Seahawks?

I didn't conclude that. Vegas did. I was just being fasicious. You see, the Vegas line has the Seahawks favored by 8.5 points. The point of my post is to illustrate that this is obsurd, as you noticed.

I didn't conclude that. Vegas did. I was just being fasicious. You see, the Vegas line has the Seahawks favored by 8.5 points. The point of my post is to illustrate that this is obsurd, as you noticed.

Ahh. I knew there had to be a logical explanation. Good post! I'll use this while talking smack to the fans in the tailgate lot on Saturday!

BTW, I just checked the Seahawks. They did better twice and worse once this year. And did worse three times last season, plus a loss to the Rams in the playoffs, that being the third time the two teams met.

BTW, I just checked the Seahawks. They did better twice and worse once this year. And did worse three times last season, plus a loss to the Rams in the playoffs, that being the third time the two teams met.

Wow. Good work on checking the Seahawks trends. I'm beginning to feel more and more confident about this game.

Check this thread out if you are intersted in seeing more heartening trends:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138378

Archived