Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Seahawks Ain't So Bad...

MRMADD

You've heard it all by now: the Seahawks have the highest scoring offense in the league. They're 13-3. They're #2 in total yardage, gaining 369 yards per game. They're balanced, with 153 rushing yards per game and 216 passing yards. Alexander is the Player of the Year. Hasselbeck doesn't make mistakes and give games away. They're undefeated at home. They've had a week off to prepare.

You've seen the prognosticators picking the Seahawks to cruise to the NFC Championship.

They're wrong.

The Seahawks are a mediocre team. Consider this: Eight of their wins came against the Cards (twice), the Rams (twice), the 49ers (twice), the Texans, and the Titans. Gee, I'm impressed. The combined record of those losers? 21-59. Their only "quality" wins were over the Falcons (21-18), the Cowboys (13-10), the Giants (24-21), the Eagles (42-0), and the Colts (28-13).

Look at those scores. No blowouts there, except against the near-death Eagles. Against real competition, this team looks ordinary. Three of those five games were won by a field goal. This team is three field goals from being 10-6. Their two best wins, against the Eagles and the Colts, both have asterisks next to them. The Eagles were on life support by then, and the Colts were playing without Dungy and had already secured home field advantage.

The Seahawks gaudy stats were padded against some of the worst teams in the league. If they didn't play in the pathetic NFC West, they wouldn't even be in the playoffs.

It's true that Alexander and Hasselbeck are talented. It's true that Holmgren was once a good coach. But this team has weaknesses. Lots of them.

Let's look at the defense. 17th in the league. Gives up 94 yards on the ground and 222 in the air. Not too impressive. It gets even better: in their last three games, they gave up 81 rushing/336 passing against the Titans, 43/344 against Colts, and 68/246 against the Packers. Stout run defense, and absolutely porous pass defense. You might think that's just because the other teams were playing catch-up and throwing bombs in the end, but that's not the case. The Titans and Packers were both ahead in the 3rd quarter.

So what does ol' Joe Gibbs do about it? Run the ball. Counter-intuitive, right? Not really. Control the clock, keep their offense on the bench, and look for chances for Moss to exploit their secondary. Remember, the Seahawks average time of possession is only 30 minutes per game, and that includes all those games against truly awful teams. For a running team, that's really suspect. The Skins average almost 32 minutes per game, and in their last 5 games that climbed to almost 33 minutes per game, meaning that Seattle will have fewer opportunities for their supposedly explosive offense to score. Yes, the Skins slipped to about 25 minutes in TOP against the Bucs, but they were nursing a lead against the best defense in football.

And on defense, look for Gregg Williams to absolutely drill Shaun Alexander. He's averaging 150 yards per game. He's the player of the year. He's also the reason that offense works. Keep him in check, and Hasselbeck and his 216 passing yards per game ain't gonna win it. The Skins, despite their banged-up secondary, have to cheat up to stop Alexander. Hold him under 100 yards, and the Skins win.

What's the one thing all three of the Seahawks losses have in common? In all three, Alexander had less than 100 yards rushing. Stop Alexander, stop the Seahawks. And guess what? One of them was the mighty Skins, who held him to 98 yards. The Seahawks haven't won a playoff game since 1984, and that ain't gonna change on Saturday.

Hah from the title I thought this was a thread bent on defending Seattle against ES attacks ... I was all ready to point out that alot of their stats/ranks are misleading ...

No they're not as good as other teams have been w/ that record, but they're certainly no pushover ... you don't rack up an undefeated home record by being mediocre

its great to see their fans gloat about the record, the offensive ranking, the rush defense, :blahblah:

does it remind you of anyone? the smack we were talking about our top 10 ranking in offense and defense before the 36-0 loss we took by the now homebound Giants ... what I'm saying is that crap only goes so far, we are on a roll, we are hungry, and we feel disrespected and we got Joe freaking Gibbs ... all the stats and rankings the fans spew pale in comparison to those intagibles.

:shhh: but lets keep that to ourselves...

The key to winning this game is going to be our ability to convert on third downs. In our earlier meeting, we were 13-18 on third downs, holding the Hawks to only 8:03 of time of possession in the first half of the game.

Thus, the best way to prevent Alexander from killing us is to keep him off of the field. Keeping Alexander off of the field also plays in the hands of our defense, as this would prevent them from wearing down later in the game.

Great post - Thank you!

I am however more worried about Seattle than I was about Tampa. I believe the Skins can and will go into Seattle and pull out a win, but this will be our biggest test of the year - hopefully the players will rise to the occasion.

I think this is a game where we need both Offense and Defense to play well to get a win. If only one side of the ball plays good or even great, I think we will lose.

I have faith!

GO SKINS!

I love stats!!! This was a great thread, though I am still nervous because they can be explosive. But our defense was great against Tampa!! It will be great against Seattle as well. We need to pound the Rock all day long and we will get the win and head to Carolina or Chicago. I say Portis will rack up about 112 yards on 31 carries with help from Ledell Betts on about 10 carries and a TD. COME ON SATURDAY!!!! :seahawksu

Drex good post.

Take all the season stats and throw them out the window. This is Playoff football

and the keys for the Skins is to keep Seattle's O off the field and converting 3rd downs. That is why we lost in DC. We could not stop 3rd and long conversions.

That was the most frustrating game for Hawk fans. However, I like our chances

being at Qwest field. The fans will be so amped up the Skin's O will unravel like

a cheap sweater.

Hawks 20 - Skins 9.

Go Seahawks!!

Interesting but you have to remember, the Skins can't run the ball and have no offense as evidenced by their 120 yard game against Tampa. All the analysts told me so. :doh:

The Skins will run (they were 7th in the NFL, Portis was 4th!!!) and they will pass and yes, they'll score too. The idiots who think Saturday was the real Redskins offense will once again be eating their words (but not acknowledging it). I'm not ready to predict a win just yet, but I'm feeling more confident every day.

I honestly did not know that the Seahawks have actual fans.

The Seahaks have not won a playoff game since Reagan was President and Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was the record of the year. Yeah, they had records back then. Oh by the way: the Skins made it to the Superbowl that year.

You'd think the fans of a team that bad would know how to keep their mouths shut. They should have plenty of practice by now.

The Skins will be ready for this game. You better hope your Seahawks haven't been reading their own press clippings.

I honestly did not know that the Seahawks have actual fans.

The Seahaks have not won a playoff game since Reagan was President and Michael Jackson's "Beat It" was the record of the year. Yeah, they had records back then. Oh by the way: the Skins made it to the Superbowl that year.

You'd think the fans of a team that bad would know how to keep their mouths shut. They should have plenty of practice by now.

The Skins will be ready for this game. You better hope your Seahawks haven't been reading their own press clippings.

Come on now. We're not Tampa fans here.

Why the hostility?

8-0 at home? Yeah, but what would the Skins record be if this was their home slate?

Atlanta W 21-18 FOX

Arizona W 37-12 FOX

Houston W 42-10 ESPN

Dallas W 13-10 FOX

St Louis W 31-16 FOX

New York Giants W 24-21 FOX

San Francisco W 41-3 FOX

Indianapolis W 28-13 CBS

We know they would have beaten Dallas and NY at home -- they did that. The rest of them stink, except Indy, and they caught Indy the week that Dungy's son killed himself and the Colts had already secured home field advantage. Look at some of those scores -- barely beat Dallas. Barely beat New York. The Skins gave both of those team beat-downs.

I don't think their home record is all that impressive.

And the 2nd win the Seahawks had against the 49ers was only by 2 points...

Seahawks are definitely overrated. Alexander had a field day against THE WORSE teams in the NFL to break the records he did.

I think the Seahawks are going to go into this game TOO overconfident and that may unravel them for at least 1 quarter, maybe 2. But they won't sit back and let the Skins have at them. THey'll find a way.

I'm confident that with all the trash talking the press and Seahawk players are doing, the fire inside the Skins players is getting fueled and they'll be out for blood to prove everyone wrong... like they've been doing consistently for 6 WEEKS now. Shaun Springs is looking forward to going up against his old team and in general... the Skins are out to prove to everyone this year that being the underdog is when we're at our best. Our history has proven that fact time and time again.

And if by chance the Seahawks pull a win on us... it will be hard earned and humbling. They'll realize they're not as good as they think they are. Their schedule was probably THE WEAKEST schedule of all the teams this year.

Seattle Record.........................................Opponents Season Result

at Jacksonville (12-4) L 26-14..............................Playoffs, Lost to NE

Atlanta (8-8) W 21-18........................................Did not make playoffs

Arizona (5-11) W 37-12.......................................Did not make playoffs

at Washington (11-5) L 20-17...............................Playoffs, Won at Tampa

at St Louis (6-10) W 37-31...................................Did not make playoffs

Houston (4-12) W 42-10.......................................Did not make playoffs

Dallas (9-7) W 13-10..........................................Did not make playoffs

at Arizona (5-11) W 33-19...................................Did not make playoffs

St Louis (6-10) W 31-16.......................................Did not make playoffs

at San Francisco (4-12) W 27-25...........................Did not make playoffs

New York Giants (12-4)W 24-21...........................Did not score a point in playoffs

at Philadelphia (6-10) W 42-0................................Did not make playoffs

San Francisco (4-12) W 41-3.................................Did not make playoffs

Tennessee (4-12) W 28-24....................................Did not make playoffs

Indianapolis (12-4) W 28-13..................................Playoffs

at Green Bay (4-12) L 23-17.......................................Did not make playoffs

Opponents Total………………………………………….112-144

Games vs. Play-Off Opponents………………………….4

Wins vs. Play-Off Opponents……………………………2

Washington Record.........................................Opponents Season Result

vs. Bears (11-5) W 9 - 7..................................Playoffs

@ Cowboys (9-7) W 14 - 13..................................Did not Make Playoffs

vs. Seahawks (13-3) W 20 - 17 ..................................Playoffs

@ Broncos (13-3) L 19 - 21..................................Playoffs

@ Chiefs (10-6) L 21 - 28..................................Did not Make Playoffs

vs. 49ers (4-12) W 52 - 17..................................Did not Make Playoffs

@ Giants (12-4) L 0 - 36..................................Playoffs

Eagles (6-10) W 17 - 10..................................Did not Make Playoffs

@ Buccaneers (11-5) L 35 - 36..................................Playoffs

vs. Raiders (4-12) L 13 - 16..................................Did not Make Playoffs

vs. Chargers (9-7) L 17 - 23..................................Did not Make Playoffs

@ Rams (6-10) W 24 - 9..................................Did not Make Playoffs

@ Cardinals (5-11) W 17 - 13..................................Did not Make Playoffs

vs. Cowboys (9-7) W 35 - 7..................................Did not Make Playoffs

vs. Giants (12-4) W 35 - 20..................................Playoffs

@ Eagles (6-10) W 31-20..................................Did not Make Playoffs

Opponents Total………………………………………….140-115

Games vs. Play-Off Opponents………………………….6

Wins vs. Play-Off Opponents……………………………3

What do you think?

Archived