Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Injuries Mounting

jbooma

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/08/AR2006010800371.html

Surgery Ends Year For Wynn

Wide Receiver Thrash Has a Broken Thumb

By Jason La Canfora

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, January 9, 2006; Page E01

Starting defensive end Renaldo Wynn underwent season-ending surgery yesterday, putting him out of the Washington Redskins' divisional playoff game Saturday in Seattle, cornerback Shawn Springs said he will return from injury for that game, and tailback Clinton Portis is expected to play through various ailments this weekend as well. Wide receiver James Thrash, who returns kickoffs, has a fracture in his thumb that will require surgery today, but team doctors believe he will still be able to play against the Seahawks....

We need to post 'snippets'/1st paragraphs of articles only please. Thanks.

Just curious... is this true even if its a free article?

And while we now have our second player out for the year. We should be relatively healthy overall for Seattle.

Wide receiver James Thrash, who returns kickoffs, has a fracture in his thumb that will require surgery today, but team doctors believe he will still be able to play against the Seahawks....

Hope it's not his fair-catching thumb.

Oh wait, we have Antonio Brown doing that now.

One of the main reasons we will miss Renaldo Wynn is for his run stopping ability.....With us facing Shaun Alexander this week i hope Evans can step up on Run Support and everyone Pray that Jacobs shows up at least one time PLEASE lol...

Everyone knows that we have been doing it with smoke and mirrors all year long. The media knew how bad this team would be before the season began. Smoke and Mirrors, with the head magician being Joe Gibbs. The next disappearing act?, the Seattle Seahawks!!!

im actually not too worried about Wynn going out. Sure he was great, but whenever Evans gets in there, he seems to make a big play. He gets a lot of pressure on the QB and I don't think it will be too much of a drop off in the level of play there.
Anytime you lose a "starting" player it will have an effect. The substitution rotation will have less flexibility... less rest for the D-line. The substitute player's mindset changes... more responsibility and maintaining cohesiveness within the new "packages" that Evans(or whomever) inherits from the missing Wynn.

We lost Randy Thomas against Dallas... since then, Portis has lost almost one full yard per attempt when compared to the previous games of "the streak". Is Cooley now having to "chip" more, affecting his catching potential? Recent defenses have been more "stout" for sure.....but losing a starter still is something to worry about.

Wynn at 295 is one of the strongest DEs you are going to see against the run. The Redskins will miss him. Yes, Evans is a stronger rusher and has a knack for the big play, but that ability has come as a well-rested reserve coming in for spot duty. Never underestimate the loss of a starter even if the backup seems capable. Playing 50 snaps instead of 20 makes a big difference.

The Redskins troubles at wide receiver to me seem so mystifying. There are teams out there with rookies and low round draft picks who can at least come in and make a catch or two when starters go down, but here we can't seem to get ANYONE besides Moss involved in the flow of the game.

Even with the Bucs, hardly an offensive powerhouse they were able to bring Edell Shepherd into the game as the #3 with Michael Clayton out of the playoffs and have him contribute, although he dropped what turned out to be the critical pass.

But the point is he was able to get on the field and then get open.

Jacobs? Farris? Even Thrash? Nothing. No production.

I don't see why the team didn't bring Kevin Dyson back in mid-season to give Brunell a reliable pair of hands once David Patten went down with the injury.

Wynn at 295 is one of the strongest DEs you are going to see against the run. The Redskins will miss him. Yes, Evans is a stronger rusher and has a knack for the big play, but that ability has come as a well-rested reserve coming in for spot duty. Never underestimate the loss of a starter even if the backup seems capable. Playing 50 snaps instead of 20 makes a big difference.

The Redskins troubles at wide receiver to me seem so mystifying. There are teams out there with rookies and low round draft picks who can at least come in and make a catch or two when starters go down, but here we can't seem to get ANYONE besides Moss involved in the flow of the game.

Even with the Bucs, hardly an offensive powerhouse they were able to bring Edell Shepherd into the game as the #3 with Michael Clayton out of the playoffs and have him contribute, although he dropped what turned out to be the critical pass.

But the point is he was able to get on the field and then get open.

Jacobs? Farris? Even Thrash? Nothing. No production.

I don't see why the team didn't bring Kevin Dyson back in mid-season to give Brunell a reliable pair of hands once David Patten went down with the injury.

A lot of that has to do with Brunell as well...I mean, other guys are getting open, Brunell just isn't throwing to them. I'm not sure why he isn't throwing to them, but he's not. He has his progression, and its the same no matter who's out there. Moss, Cooley, Portis. He doesn't even look at Thrash or Farris.

:whoknows: Hopefully he can snap out of it this week....:)

Archived