Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rules have to be enfored to stop shoulder to leg tackles.

bbuzz1962

Did you see that hit on Carson Palmer today?? It ended his season and god knows may have damaged his career. The official comittee must do something to stop these hits. A similiar hit to Brunell could have taken him out if not for the knee brace he was wearing.

I know its football, contact sport, yada yada, but when you see someone barreling in on a leg with a shoulder pad, it usually ends up with a severe injury.

The Bengals season has been ruined by the hit, and I for one, would support any rule that banned shoulder pad to thigh or knee hits. It should be a suspension as well, four weeks or more. The only exception would be if the offensive lineman pushed the defensive player into the person hit.

When you think about the consequences of these injuries, it is just devastating when it happens to a quarterback. I think we all know how long it takes to recover from knee ligament surgery, and the player is never going to be the same. I can only hope they consider this hit like they have the horse collar rule. Get well soon Carson, I enjoy watching you play.

The rule would be for everyone, not just quarterbacks. If you are close enough to drive your shoulder into the leg, you are close enogh to wrap the person up. I was being very specific about the type of hit, and there is a rule already that doesn't get enforced. Ask Joe Gibbs about the hit on Brunell. Any hit that is considered "low" can be penalized.

The rule would be for everyone, not just quarterbacks. If you are close enough to drive your shoulder into the leg, you are close enogh to wrap the person up.

Just a quick comment on that. There is no way they could ever have that rule for a running back. He's all over the place and you get him down how you can, just don't grab his horse collar

This is football. I wonder what you would have thought about football in the 70's When close line tackles and head-slaps were legal. Injuries are a part of the game. No one wants to see them, but they are a huge part of this game. If guys are afraid to be hit, then they should play another sport...Bottom line!

Those of us who have, or still do, play the game can say without a doubt that there are already MORE than enough rules limiting defensive players. It is already ridiculous and if you want it to go further then you might as well have the QBs wear a red jersey like they do in practice that says "dont touch me". It's football, not paddycake.

One more time for those of you who refuse to read before you make a statement. The rule is already there, it is not enforced as much as it should be. It goes for all players not just quarterbacks. Any intentional low hit to cause injury is a penalty. If you are blocked, or pushed, it is not a penalty. If it is or looks unintentional it is a judgement call. Ok?? I am not repeat not saying quarterbacks should get any additional help from rules or officiating. If I have not made myself clear, put the beer down, and check back later.

Did you see that hit on Carson Palmer today?? It ended his season and god knows may have damaged his career. The official comittee must do something to stop these hits. A similiar hit to Brunell could have taken him out if not for the knee brace he was wearing.

I know its football, contact sport, yada yada, but when you see someone barreling in on a leg with a shoulder pad, it usually ends up with a severe injury.

The Bengals season has been ruined by the hit, and I for one, would support any rule that banned shoulder pad to thigh or knee hits. It should be a suspension as well, four weeks or more. The only exception would be if the offensive lineman pushed the defensive player into the person hit.

When you think about the consequences of these injuries, it is just devastating when it happens to a quarterback. I think we all know how long it takes to recover from knee ligament surgery, and the player is never going to be the same. I can only hope they consider this hit like they have the horse collar rule. Get well soon Carson, I enjoy watching you play.

The hit on Palmer was not intentional at all! You could see Van Olhoeffen was upset that it happened.

One more time for those of you who refuse to read before you make a statement. The rule is already there, it is not enforced as much as it should be. It goes for all players not just quarterbacks. Any intentional low hit to cause injury is a penalty. If you are blocked, or pushed, it is not a penalty. If it is or looks unintentional it is a judgement call. Ok?? I am not repeat not saying quarterbacks should get any additional help from rules or officiating. If I have not made myself clear, put the beer down, and check back later.

I can point out anywhere from 10-15 times in every game that someone throws themselves into a defensive player's legs in an attempt to block, especially in the open field. For God's sake, QBs get commended for it ALL THE TIME. Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia, etc get praised by commentators for being "tough guys" when they are too scared to block a defender head on and instead deliberatly fall right into their legs. If you wanna protect someone, protect the LB that gets his legs cut out from under him ALL THE DAMN time in the open field. I know from experience.....it sucks. But then again, we play defense - we dont score TDs - so no one really cares if we get a knee blown out or not. That's horsesh*t

Personally, I think that the "down by contact" rule needs to be adjusted. The fact that it can't be reviewed/challenged is silly to me.

I agree with this. I think it should be like a muff on a kick where if it is reversed the fumble cannot be advanced because usually on a down by contact the whistle has blown. It would be unfair to the fumbling team to have to chase a guy if the whistle is blown just because it *might* be overruled.

I agree with this. I think it should be like a muff on a kick where if it is reversed the fumble cannot be advanced because usually on a down by contact the whistle has blown. It would be unfair to the fumbling team to have to chase a guy if the whistle is blown just because it *might* be overruled.

You kinda lost me with the "it's like a muffed kick" thing. How does a muffed kick correllate with down by contact. Please explain.

Archived