Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How are teams stopping Moss, Cooley, and Portis?

MikeB

Guys... not looking to complain about today's performance against the Bucs. But I am wondering if teams are catching on to something. The Eagles gave us a heck of a time, and now the Bucs completely shut out our three studs. I can see being able to limit Portis and either Moss or Cooley, but not both.

Just looking for you theories... is it injuries to Portis and Brunell are worse then we know, is it the offensive game plan, is it us just facing some unusually tough defenses, a rare bad game or two... or what?

How will we fare in Seattle?

MikeB

Boooooo, you can't post after a win with something concerned about next week!

Otherwise you're a traitor and you're not enjoying it and you hate Gibbs and you want to kill Gibbs and drink the blood of aborted babies!

IOW, just wait for the people who didn't watch the worst offensive performance by a winning team EVER in the playoffs.

You know, the same people who told us that Philly played us well because Mark was hurt and that the D that ranked in the 20s was a "good defense." THe ones who always have an excuse, rather than just giving a reason.

I just want to win, but our chances to win go down if we can't get it together.

In my opinion this is the whole problem with the offense right now :

MARK BRUNELL IS HURT (FROM THE GIANTS GAME) AND IT REALLY IS AFFECTING OUR WHOLE OFFENSE.

If you notice Brunell has been incredible up until he got hurt in the G-men game. I know he made one good scramble but if that would have been a week 13 scramble he would have picked up 10 more yards than he did today.

We are really banged up. #1 Randy Thomas out , Brunell's knee is probably killing him, Portis' shoulders are about DONE for the season, our cornerbacks are hurt and we still only have ONE GOOD WR !!! and now Wynn broke his arm.

This team has some serious heart to win in Tampa with all of the injuries they have and players are still playing with these injuries. If we were completely healthy I really think we could go to the Super Bowl but I think the injuries will catch up to us.

HAIL

MikeB

Boooooo, you can't post after a win with something concerned about next week!

Otherwise you're a traitor and you're not enjoying it and you hate Gibbs and you want to kill Gibbs and drink the blood of aborted babies!

IOW, just wait for the people who didn't watch the worst offensive performance by a winning team EVER in the playoffs.

You know, the same people who told us that Philly played us well because Mark was hurt and that the D that ranked in the 20s was a "good defense." THe ones who always have an excuse, rather than just giving a reason.

I just want to win, but our chances to win go down if we can't get it together.

Awe man c'mon... I'm totally happy about the win. Estatic no less. :cheers: Just wondering why we aren't racking up the points like a few weeks ago.

And yes... I told myself I would be satisfied with a winning season. Then with a playoff appearance. Then with a win. Now I want more... so I am thinking of next week already... even though I shouldn't. :doh:

Awe man c'mon... I'm totally happy about the win. Estatic no less. :cheers: Just wondering why we aren't racking up the points like a few weeks ago.

And yes... I told myself I would be satisfied with a winning season. Then with a playoff appearance. Then with a win. Now I want more... so I am thinking of next week already... even though I shouldn't. :doh:

Wait, I'm on your side. :cheers:

Moss had almost 1,500 yards this season and 9 TDs...Portis had over 1,500 yards and ran off five straight 100+ yard games. Cooley was 4th among TE's in receptions and had 7 TDs to boot. Hardly sounds like these guys are constantly getting shut down.

I said on another thread...we need to stop acting like a bad outing by the Skins' offense (or defense) is all it takes to define these units and its players...if it were THAT easy to shut down all three of these players, then the Skins would never have made the playoffs because they never would have strung together five consecutive wins (which is now officially six consecutive wins).

Yes, they stunk it up today offensively...but don't let that fool you into believing they'll stink it up constantly now. Won't happen...because it hasn't been happening. The only pattern offensively for the Skins is that they occasionally have a ferociously flat game: Chicago and Dallas, then the first Giants game, then the Cardinals, and then the Bucs. They put 24 points up on the Eagles so I'm not gonna lump that in with the other games. So that's 5 offensively troubling games out of 17...

Again, Brunell might be on a short leash next week, I dunno...but I don't doubt for a moment that their performance today is not an indicator of what to expect next week. I said the same thing after the first Giants game, that what we saw was in no way, shape or form indicative of who the Skins really are offensively...and the Skins offense put together a solid, efficient performance against the Eagles the very next week, with Brunell going 21/29.

Don't worry... :cheers:

*Edit: will add the Raiders game to the "Flat List"...lol :doh:

I think teams have figured out that Brunell is having difficulty stepping into throws and it has made him tentative on throwing the deep ball to Moss.

Seriously, how else can you explain NOT ONCE even just bombing it over the defense to show a willingness to go deep?

Portis production is being affected by absense of Thomas [i LOVE RB but there's a reason he wasn't a starter] and the defensive decision to stack the box the last two weeks.

Moss & Cooley have been hampered all year by the absence of one more intermediate-to-deep option. Recently, that's been compounded by injury to Brunell and it's impact on play-calling & game mgmt. I could swear I read someplace that the Brunnell injury is actually a Grade 1 ligament tear. If that's true, don't look for it to improve much this season. All he can do is play within his current capabilities and manage the game as best he can.

It looks like low-scoring, hard-fought stuff the rest of the way.....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

They put 24 points up on the Eagles so I'm not gonna lump that in with the other games. So that's 5 offensively troubling games out of 17...

Again, Brunell might be on a short leash next week, I dunno..

*Edit: will add the Raiders game to the "Flat List"...lol :doh:

But did we have any long drives, I mean SUSTAINED drives against Philly? Two bombs and a Portis run after a turnover.

As for that second bit---Brunell is on the shortest leash in the history of mankind.

What's worse, just like last year the man NEVER takes responsibility for his mistakes. "we," "we." He never says "I played bad." Or if he does, he didn't today. He's crackin' jokes and the like.

Don't listen to ghosty, MikeB, he's always all full of himself and takes his righteous indigantion act very seriously :D

That's his version of subtle (like a bulldozer) sarcasm :)

You raise very valid conerns that any of us should have and do so in a reasonable manner, an achievement, or even a desire, not shared by everyone here ;) .

It did seem that Portis was hurt much of the game, despite the contrary reports, so it will be interesting to see what's said about that in the next day or two. Between Barber and the secondary's coverage and the Bucs pass rush, Moss was pretty well stifled and we suffered form not haviong the real #2 than can go down the middle or on the other side and make the defense stay more spread out. Because when the secondary can some up with more freedom, like in what philly did to shut down cooley, bringing up and focusing either safeties or corners or sometimes the MLB moving to Cooley on 3rd & long, seemed to be what the bucs were doing too.

Plus Brunell seems a bit stiff and didn't have much time to set, but also didn't have the escape-and-throw on the run capability he had in previous games, which also encouragews the opposing D to bring people up if they are getting good pressure on the QB . But I am often off on some of this stuff as I get too exited about every play and don't focus on the specifics :laugh: So hopefully someone far more proficient will step in with a much better analysis.

But did we have any long drives, I mean SUSTAINED drives against Philly? Two bombs and a Portis run after a turnover.

As for that second bit---Brunell is on the shortest leash in the history of mankind.

What's worse, just like last year the man NEVER takes responsibility for his mistakes. "we," "we." He never says "I played bad." Or if he does, he didn't today. He's crackin' jokes and the like.

All true, but Doug Williams never took responsibility either, as I recall. Didn't stop him from winning a Super Bowl. :cheers:

Don't listen to ghosty, MikeB, he's always all full of himself and takes his righteous indigantion act very seriously :D

I've often offered calm analysis. If you get beat up enough verbally and called names when you do, you tend to get defensive. Oh and the genius responses like "dance wit who brung ya" etc. I mean, that's really cogent stuff there. Basically, it seems if we win, we aren't allowed to have concerns, so why take it seriously. It's all a big game to me now because unless I pull some kind of cinematic vengeance on Brunell in Seattle next week, there's no shot he gets pulled out, even if he threw 3 picks.

Look at the board. Look at the stats. Look with your eyes on the field.

Ask yourself if the board would sound the same if the 'other guy' were QB right now and had those numbers and made that pick.

You and I both know the answer. And no, Mark hasn't played well enough to get a free pass.

As for playcalling. I don't know sometimes if the calls are being limited by something else or if there's a problem with consistent execution.

Did you notice how they stopped going to Cooley after that fumble? Initially Brunell was picking the defense apart with Cooley in the middle of the field, but then Cooley fumbled and suddenly our passing game just hit a plateau. I think we just decided that we didnt want to make the crucial mistake so we would let our defense win the game for us.

Injuries, injuries, injuries...Brunell's knee, Portis's shoulder, and Randy Thomas being out is definitely affecting our offense. Not to mention Tampa Bay is the #1 ranked D from the regular season. I think Gibbs was actually trying to rest Portis after the 'Skins got the lead. If Portis can get healthy, then he can carry the offense on his back so-to-speak....and of course, our D will be playing at top caliber as usual.

Your question is flawed, this was the first time in 6 games that all three were stopped. The Bucs may have the best defense we've faced in that time, maybe we'll face this year. Anyway, most of those passes to Cooley are not option passes, its either a called run to Portis or a pass play. If a good defense guesses right, they WILL shutdown the play.

Simply put, we took Moss out of the game ourselves today.

The Bucs had so many players stacked against the line, we were plain foolish not to try to throw over them and let Santana use his speed to get deep. Even if it would have been an incomplete pass, it might have stretched the defense out and made them respect the pass. Hell, we didn't even try and 15-20 yard passes, either.

The bomb has worked well for us this year, I was sad to see Gibbs didn't pull it out today. We'll need it next week.

Spaceman,

You don't really think we didn't RUN those plays do you?

You know why they weren't THROWN as do I.

In fact, on that INT, there was a wideout down the sidelines very open and likely going to score even on a flutter ball. But that would mean a guy sticking with things and not running every time and knowing how to actually USE the pocket.

Spaceman,

In fact, on that INT, there was a wideout down the sidelines very open and likely going to score even on a flutter ball. But that would mean a guy sticking with things and not running every time and knowing how to actually USE the pocket.

Aw ****...is this a thinly veiled plug for Ramsey? :doh: say it ain't so!

Simply put, we took Moss out of the game ourselves today.

The Bucs had so many players stacked against the line, we were plain foolish not to try to throw over them and let Santana use his speed to get deep. Even if it would have been an incomplete pass, it might have stretched the defense out and made them respect the pass. Hell, we didn't even try and 15-20 yard passes, either.

The bomb has worked well for us this year, I was sad to see Gibbs didn't pull it out today. We'll need it next week.

Yeh, I thought Gibbs was in the ultra-conservative mode today, partly with Mark maybe not being to heave a good deep ball due to being more hurt than they were letting on. Of course that's pure speculation on my part and it could be entirely different reasons. I did see Moss well covered sometimes. But other times, as I've posted elsewhere, it seemd like the whole secondary was coming up. But if my speculation was actually part of a Gibbs strategy, it worked.

Spaceman,

As thinly vieled as a Ukrainian mail-order bride :laugh:

Archived