Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Mania is Sweeping the Nation

E-Dog Night

Ok, maybe not the entire nation, but DC certainly is abuzz with playoff fever.

Everywhere you look, someone is donning a Redskins jersey or a hat or a sweatshirt. Everywhere you go, people are talking about tomorrow's game. You can feel it in the air. It hasn’t been like this in a long time – not even in 1999. I walked down to the cafeteria for lunch and everyone was already in full debate. Me showing up in my Skins jersey and hat brought things to a fever pitch.

I felt it early on the Metro this morning. For some reason, the beat of the city is at its most tangible on the Subway. Maybe it's because of all the people packed into a relatively confined space, but for whatever reason, the pulse of anticipation of tomorrow's game permeates every molecule of air when riding the train to work.

It's always been this way in the Metro; when the Skins win, there's a certain joviality to the atmosphere that's definitely palpable. People have the sports section open with pictures of victory displayed as they relive & savor the win, fondly remembering the touchdowns and turnovers. The lights seem brighter and there's a positive rhythm flowing from station to station. When the Skins lose, it's as if someone flung a melancholic rug over the passengers causing them to hang their heads and hate Mondays even more than usual. Today, the ride seemed like it was filled with a bunch of kids walking to the gate for their first visit to an amusement park, and no one was in line for the best rollercoaster.

Gibbs is the coach and my Skins are in the playoffs. Somebody pinch me.

At the deli in the office park here there were sweatshirts, hats and a few jerseys.

Some of these people I had no idea were Skins fans...people would love to bash me cuz i have a long Skins key chain and wear a Skins sweatshirt from time to time...now that we are where we are I dont hear a peep. Now there are people literally coming out of the woodwork.

I live near Gtown and you would see some Cowboys hats, jerseys every now and then....I will tell you what they have completely dissapeared...i mean exterminated. I havent seen a cowboy fan in nearly 3 weeks. They boasted and wore their garbage and now nothing....its hillarious.

i started law school this year in carlisle (huge redskins town for obvious reasons), so i was a little upset that i wasn't in the city this year to experience the excitement, but went i went back to the city for the holidays, i went to the barber shop and my old italian barber dominick was sporting a redskins hat on and i thought "oh man, i wish i were still living here right now!"

the next day, while i was staying at my parents house, the landscapers came and the guy mowing the lawn was wearing a portis jersey. it's great. i felt like i was in the movie major league with the old men in the bar wearing "Wild Thing" jersey's. next thing you know, somebody will put a portis jersey on the statute of ghandi on mass ave by dupont circle. i love this town.

I'm a hostess at a restaurant in Gaithersburg and last week when I was walking down the aisles, I overheard three or four different tables talking about the game. Also at the bar, ESPN was doing a preview of the game and when Joe Gibbs' face came on, the whole bar just erupted in cheers. These are good times, my friends.

I live near Gtown and you would see some Cowboys hats, jerseys every now and then....I will tell you what they have completely dissapeared...i mean exterminated. I havent seen a cowboy fan in nearly 3 weeks. They boasted and wore their garbage and now nothing....its hillarious.

This is what you'd typically expect. The type of person that roots for a team just becase they are successful will predictably crawl into the woodwork when things go bad.

Actually, I did see a guy in a Cowboys jacket today at Metro Center, but judging from the look of it, that's the only jacket he owns.

I saw someone with a 'Boys hat on just the other day.

I was going to give him crap, but I thought better of it since I was at work and we can't taunt the customers. :)

I've seen more and more Skins apparel, which is kind of disappointing considering I didn't see much before we started winning.

ha...boy at my school over here in england was wearing a roy williams jersey on non-uniform day (we gotta always wear uniform. it sucks dont it?), and i said, remember mnf?? suprisingly he actually knows more than i expected about the nfl and he said "yer i no my boy got smoked by santana didnt he??" which i thought was at least gracious in defeat.

however, a lot of people have bought pats jerseys cos one of the stores in my town is selling them, and everyone watches the superbowl usually anyway. i went up to one of them and i said "wow, you guys really played well this year, what was the secret of your success??" he goes " you what?" need i say more??

its so frustrating....

but ive converted a lot of my friends over from haters to lovers of the nfl, and i have them round every sunday...they love it! each of them has picked a different team and they are all really getting into the nfl, and i think its great!! but there all rooting for skins this weekend thankfully none of them picked the bucs!!

This post reminded me of a session NPR did on "Washington - Win the RedSkins are Winning..."

Here is the link to the audio (no text)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5072682

It mentions exactly what you are saying... about how the whole town changes attitude when the Skins are winning...

I think it was done after game 4 of our streak....

Good listen...

HTTR!!!

This post reminded me of a session NPR did on "Washington - Win the RedSkins are Winning..."

Here is the link to the audio (no text)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5072682

It mentions exactly what you are saying... about how the whole town changes attitude when the Skins are winning...

I think it was done after game 4 of our streak....

Good listen...

HTTR!!!

That was pretty good. Although at the end, he noted that Bush's approval rating went up correspondingly with the Skins win streak...this is what's known as a negative side effect. :laugh:

I'm a bit envious of you all in the Metro Area that get to enjoy the Buzz. Be a mislocated Skins fan in non-football country, there just isn't much buzz. Though I notice I do get a few more comments when I'm wandering around in my Skins coat.

Though I've enjoyed the media buzz. They just never seem to talk much about the skins, but since the win over the Giants, and more so now we are in the play-offs, it seems like that is the big story everyone keeps talking about.

I couldn't believe how many Redskins fans I've been seeing on the way to and back from work in Rosslyn. You'll see Redskins flags once in a while on cars driving by, it gets me so amped everytime I see it. On my way to work I saw my neighbors, (old fans in their 70's) wearing their old school Redskins beanies with the orange ball on top. Kinda reminded me of the 91 season when I was 11 years old. Simply incredible, our city is beating to the heart of the Redskins. All because of our team and our coach, we have gotten our fanbase out again including all the traditions, and I'm loving it! Hail Skins!

I know what you mena about this playoff fever. Here in Arizona it is quite different...the Cardinals lost, but covered the spread in their last game and it has this town real excited! If the game were here in Sun Devil Stadium, the fans would have rushed the field with the joy over coverinbg the spread....God I wish I lived in a real football town.

I'm not across the country or anything, but I'm a Redskins fan living in Ravens territory.. and I know there are many of us up there....

But I proudly display by Redskins flag all the time...

When Gibbs came back, one of the cashiers at a local gas station asked me where I got my Redskins steering wheel cover (which is so old it's faded)... mind you.. I had had it like 4 years... but he's asking NOW where I got it?

:doh:

But then.. I'm proud to say I have a niece who has a son in Pittsburgh/Philly territory.. .and her son wears his Redskin gear to school all the time and has since he started school (4 years ago). He says some people do make fun of him, but he remembers what his mom and aunt told him.... stick with you team.. through the bad and good.. makes it all the more glorious when it really gets good.

And he's only 9 ;)

I'm not across the country or anything, but I'm a Redskins fan living in Ravens territory.. and I know there are many of us up there....

But I proudly display by Redskins flag all the time...

When Gibbs came back, one of the cashiers at a local gas station asked me where I got my Redskins steering wheel cover (which is so old it's faded)... mind you.. I had had it like 4 years... but he's asking NOW where I got it?

:doh:

But then.. I'm proud to say I have a niece who has a son in Pittsburgh/Philly territory.. .and her son wears his Redskin gear to school all the time and has since he started school (4 years ago). He says some people do make fun of him, but he remembers what his mom and aunt told him.... stick with you team.. through the bad and good.. makes it all the more glorious when it really gets good.

And he's only 9 ;)

We all savor a skins win but that kid will experience a certian special kind of joy in it that many of us will never know. Go kid!

Archived