Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Missouri Lawmaker Seeks to Ban Cold Beer Sales

China

Jan 5, 10:08 PM EST

By CHRIS BLANK

Associated Press Writer

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A state senator wants to force Missouri stores to sell warm beer. Under a bill by Sen. Bill Alter, grocery and convenience stores would risk losing their liquor licenses if they sold beer colder than 60 degrees. The intent is to cut down on drunken driving by making it less tempting to pop open a beer after leaving the store.

"The only reason why beer would need to be cold is so that it can be consumed right away," Alter, who has been a police offer for more than 20 years, said Thursday.

He said the idea came from a fifth-grade student in Jefferson County who was participating in a program to teach elementary students about state government. He sought their suggestions for new laws and chose the cold beer ban from a list of the top three ideas.

"I thought it had the best chance at getting legislative attention," said Alter, R-High Ridge. "Plus, I think it's a good idea whether or not other people do."

Some lawmakers and lobbyists, however, are lukewarm about the idea.

Ron Leone, executive vice president for the Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association, said the combination of Missouri's drinking and driving laws and designated driver programs already have curbed the number of people who drink and drive.

"It would be an inconvenience for law-abiding citizens who want to purchase cold beer for picnics, parties and social gatherings," he said. "People who want to drive drunk will drive drunk anyway."

Leone said he didn't know if there was a standard temperature at which beer is sold, but added that most refrigerators are set in the mid-to-low 40s.

Click on the link for the full article

Here is a stupid statement of 2005:

"The only reason why beer would need to be cold is so that it can be consumed right away," Alter, who has been a police offer for more than 20 years, said Thursday.

Unless it was a 45 minute drive it wouldnt have much effect as it would take at least 2 beers... I don't buy beer so I can drive it home and then wait 2 hours for it to get cold...

Edit:

AND: He OBVIOUSLY knows that people that would drink AND drive at the same time are incapable of drinking a room temperature beer... Is warmness the beer triggerlock?

Jan 5, 10:08 PM EST

By CHRIS BLANK

Associated Press Writer

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A state senator wants to force Missouri stores to sell warm beer. Under a bill by Sen. Bill Alter, grocery and convenience stores would risk losing their liquor licenses if they sold beer colder than 60 degrees. The intent is to cut down on drunken driving by making it less tempting to pop open a beer after leaving the store.

He said the idea came from a fifth-grade student in Jefferson County who was participating in a program to teach elementary students about state government. He sought their suggestions for new laws and chose the cold beer ban from a list of the top three ideas.

"I thought it had the best chance at getting legislative attention," said Alter, R-High Ridge. "Plus, I think it's a good idea whether or not other people do."

Some lawmakers and lobbyists, however, are lukewarm about the idea.

Ron Leone, executive vice president for the Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association, said the combination of Missouri's drinking and driving laws and designated driver programs already have curbed the number of people who drink and drive.

"It would be an inconvenience for law-abiding citizens who want to purchase cold beer for picnics, parties and social gatherings," he said. "People who want to drive drunk will drive drunk anyway."

Leone said he didn't know if there was a standard temperature at which beer is sold, but added that most refrigerators are set in the mid-to-low 40s.

Click on the link for the full article

What a **** ass

The idiot statement of 2006...and it's only just begun. I buy beer that's cold because when I get home I want to drink it THEN...not sit around and wait for it to get cold. And what makes him think that selling beer warm would help. Does he forget that some people like their beer warm? What a moron!

Archived