Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Edwards to Chiefs...

JTSkins

Listening to talk radio at lunch (WFAN-NY)...boy, those Jet fans are pissed. :D

To summarize what the fans/media are saying:

The Jets really didn't have any bargaining power. The relationship between Bradway and Edwards has deteriorated over the last couple of years...so it was pretty much a given that Edwards would not be coming back to the Jets once these talks with KC started. So the Chiefs held their ground at the mid-round draft pick knowing that if the Jets folded, they are stuck with a coach they no longer want.

As for who will take over...some sucker :) . They feel it will be a less-than-stellar name....first time head coach. Basically, the owner is saving all his money for the new stadium and is not about to give good money to a coach.

...I have a feeling those Jet fans are going to be in for a losing drought the likes of the Cardinals and Saints...they are just in a heap of trouble.

The Jets were not robbed. The Jets blew it. The Chiefs would not offer high compensation for a coach that the JETS were basically saying they no longer wanted. When Herm said he planned to be a JET for many more years, The Jets should have publicly stated that Herm was going to be their coach and that they were going to work on a new deal for him. They could have then went behind closed doors and negotiated with the Chiefs. That would have provided leverage to get more compensation from the Chiefs. The way it looks right now, the Jets received no more compensation than the league would have awarded if Herm resigned from the jets and immediately accept a job from another team. I know coaches that resign are not usually allowed to take a position without the consent of the club the resigned from until their contract years are up, but it has happened in the past and a mediator usually awards late round draft picks as compensation. Until the deal between Oakland and TB for Gruden occurred, early round draft picks for coaches was unheard of. Hence the league intervention in all deals involving coaches and organization changes.

Edwards is a good head coach. If I were a player I would love to play for him. I do think the Chiefs could have given up more for his services. A 4th round draft choice? Come on! That's ridiculous! But hey, they agreed to it. And the although Coach Edwards was very vocal about wanting to remain head coach of the Jets, there wasn't any word from the Jets owner supporting Edwards either. Makes me think that the Jets front office was very upset about how their season turned out. Herman Edwards coached Jets teams into the playoffs almost every year. The Chiefs should've given up more and the Jets should have demanded more.

NY Jets. The one stop shop for all your pro-football player and coaching needs.

Don't miss the name your price offseason special! Have a banged up wide out you want to return? We'll take him and give you a superior model! Need a coach but don't want to pay a lot? No problem give us a scrub pick and you can have ours! Offensive line? No problem. Kicker? No problem! Kick returner? NO PROBLEM!!! Don't miss out on these deals!!

Archived