Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Daily News: COOL COLES

Mark

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/story/378848p-321760c.html

I realize this is probably the old article, but I haven’t seen it before and I just stumbled over it and couldn’t help but thinking: “Thanks God for getting rid of this bum.”

Just get load of this:

COOL COLES: If WR Laveranues Coles hadn't forced the Redskins to trade him back to the Jets, he'd be on a 9-6 team, one win away from clinching a playoff spot. But he says he has no regrets.

"To be honest, I'm happy where I'm at," he said. "There are a lot of things I would trade for peace of mind, which I have right now. ... Wins and all that don't give you peace of mind."

Coles, who has a team-leading 69 receptions, acknowledged that he "didn't have the stellar season I wish I could've had." But he said he feels more comfortable with the Jets.

So for your team the season was over by the mid-November? Team had the awful season, you personally had a bad season and you are happy. “Wins and all don’t give you peace of mind” So, what does – bank account?

I am sure now that Gibbs wanted to get rid of this guy and when Coles started to talk trade he happily obliged. He would never say anything bad about any player but I’m pretty sure he realized what kind of person Coles is.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article.

If we had had Coles, I don't believe we would be in the playoffs or even had been in playoff contention. Santana Moss is a big reason hy we are where we are. Coles lost a step and was dropping passing all last season. He would not have made half the plays Santana did for us this year.

I think it's clear that a number of our problems last year were the result of our underachieving and undisciplined receiving corp. Look what happened to Gardner.... traded for a 6th round pick and then subsequently unceremoniously released by the Panthers. Coles had QB problems in NY... but he certainly didn't have the impact they had hoped.

Gibbs looks like a prophet for ridding the team of these two... further cementing his reputation as having conviction to win with his type of guys.... which Gardner and Coles weren't.

He now has peace of mind because he doesn't have to worry about the owner sending him home with a large screen TV if he doesn't perform well.

I wonder if he ever will go through with the surgery on his toe? This will now be the 3rd offseason since hurting his toe in his 2nd game as a Redskin vs. Atlanta.

This is a fine example of why I never question Joe Gibbs on his decisions about players. Brunnell? No superstar but a real leader. The Portis-Bailey, Moss-Coles trade? Need I say anymore? Signing Shawn Springs, everybody questioned this one and look what happened. Drafting Sean Taylor, who should be an All Pro and Jason Campbell (hope I spelled that right) who I guess is a superstar in the making. Cooley? What a stud!

You sit back and look at all of the moves Joe Gibbs has made and it's astonishing! All in one year! Just imagine what this team will look like 2 years from now. This team is a dynasty in the making. Also think about what he can do if there is no salary cap after the current contract expires.

So in closing, I'm pumped up for the revenge game against the bucs. I'm so damn proud of Joe Gibbs, Dan Snyder and the whole Redskin organization for bringing back that winning tradition to DC again. It's been so long. I feel like a kid again!

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

All LC did for the Skins was give everything he had on every play. Without him for those couple of years the Skins had no heart and no passing game. Then foolishly the Jets gave us an upgrade. It's all good for the Skins. I wish LC all the best.

Did LC play hard here? Yup! I think he's the kind of guy who always has & always will play "hard" - whereever he is.

Don't know 'bout that "for the 'Skins part", though. Seems to me that LC was always about LC. Played with a chip on his shoulder, running fued with FSU, blah, blah, blah.... All of that's fine but whinging publically about the play-calling, lack of deep balls & TDs is where I get off the bus. Too much of that just kills a locker room.

Cheers,

CLBinMD

All LC did for the Skins was give everything he had on every play. Without him for those couple of years the Skins had no heart and no passing game. Then foolishly the Jets gave us an upgrade. It's all good for the Skins. I wish LC all the best.

Did you read what Laveraneous said in that Cool Coles article? Do you remember the other things he's said when the trade was made?

And you still wish him the best?

Thats 's what I think. He played his ass off while he was here. I wish him success.

I agree that he played as well as he could and that he's a heck of a competitor. Given that, I'd say that his comments are a lot more about sour grapes and saving face than trying to disparage the Skins.

Yes, Coles can't win either way. What's he supposed to say? "Get me out of NY!" ??

It makes no sense to crucify a player because he's trying (perhaps not skilfully) to say that he likes it where he is. If he had said something different, this thread would be bashing him for that too.

Get over it. We got Moss. Leave the dude alone.

Did you read what Laveraneous said in that Cool Coles article? Do you remember the other things he's said when the trade was made?

And you still wish him the best?

Remember the game against Seattle where Coles saved a TD and the game by catching the guy from behind and forcing a fumble in the end zone where most recievers would have just watched. Coles owes the Skins nothing, he left it all on the field. Does it really matter what he says now?

I agree, he did give his all... any great athlete would dissapointed after the way last season ended. Granted I would have liked him to handle himself differently, but we wouldn't be where we are today without Santana Moss. Wouldnt mind having Coles back to be our #2 receiver though.

Archived