Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins defense will win the game in Tampa

GSF

I've been hesitant to make a prediction type post this week. The Eagles game spooked me a bit, as did the first Bucs game, but after watching all of the press conferences on redskins.com, and reading the pregame stuff on ES, I'm quite confident that the Skins are going to win this game.

The painful memory from the first Bucs game, besides the botched Allstott call, was Chris Simms standing in the pockets for what seemd like an eternity, waiting for Joey Galloway to get open. With Griffin out that game, and Salave'a hobbled, the Skins produced zero push in the pocket. Griff and Big Joe are at full strentgh now, and the entire dline is playing very well. The Bucs oline, in contrast, has not played well, and has really struggled against physical defenses, like when they got completely dominated by the Patriots defense a few weeks ago. As well, in the first matchup, Taylor was out, and Clark was banged up in his first game back from an injury. Not only did the Skins' corners have the disadvantage of getting zero pass rush up front, but they got no help from their safeties as well. This time around, Simms will not have that time, and the Redskins' corners will have healthy safeties in Clark and Taylor to help them out in coverage.

Another encouraging factor is the return of Carlos Rogers. I think he could turn out to be a key player in this game. Williams said in his interview today that Los had an excellent week of practice. I actually felt that Los was playing better that Springs in the last couple of games he played before he went out. I look for Rogers to have very fresh legs, and have a very big game this Saturday.

I believe that both teams will try to run the ball early, but struggle to do so. I think the Bucs will give up on the run before Gibbs will, and putt young Simms in a position to have to win the game. The Skins' dline will create pressure, which will lead to the back 7 creating turnovers. I think the Skins will get at least 2 pics against Simms in the second half, creating a short field for the Skins, and Portis and Betts will wear that Bucs defense down. It may be like the Eagles game in that the Bucs might outplay the Skins early, but the Skins defense and oline will take over, and win the game in the fourth quarter.

Redskins 20 Bucs 16

Hail to the Redskins, and enjoy the playoffs everybody!! :cheers:

I've been hesitant to make a prediction type post this week. The Eagles game spooked me a bit, as did the first Bucs game, but after watching all of the press conferences on redskins.com, and reading the pregame stuff on ES, I'm quite confident that the Skins are going to win this game.

The painful memory from the first Bucs game, besides the botched Allstott call, was Chris Simms standing in the pockets for what seemd like an eternity, waiting for Joey Galloway to get open. With Griffin out that game, and Salave'a hobbled, the Skins produced zero push in the pocket. Griff and Big Joe are at full strentgh now, and the entire dline is playing very well. The Bucs oline, in contrast, has not played well, and has really struggled against physical defenses, like when they got completely dominated by the Patriots defense a few weeks ago. As well, in the first matchup, Taylor was out, and Clark was banged up in his first game back from an injury. Not only did the Skins' corners have the disadvantage of getting zero pass rush up front, but they got no help from their safeties as well. This time around, Simms will not have that time, and the Redskins' corners will have healthy safeties in Clark and Taylor to help them out in coverage.

Another encouraging factor is the return of Carlos Rogers. I think he could turn out to be a key player in this game. Williams said in his interview today that Los had an excellent week of practice. I actually felt that Los was playing better that Springs in the last couple of games he played before he went out. I look for Rogers to have very fresh legs, and have a very big game this Saturday.

I believe that both teams will try to run the ball early, but struggle to do so. I think the Bucs will give up on the run before Gibbs will, and putt young Simms in a position to have to win the game. The Skins' dline will create pressure, which will lead to the back 7 creating turnovers. I think the Skins will get at least 2 pics against Simms in the second half, creating a short field for the Skins, and Portis and Betts will wear that Bucs defense down. It may be like the Eagles game in that the Bucs might outplay the Skins early, but the Skins defense and oline will take over, and win the game in the fourth quarter.

Redskins 20 Bucs 16

Works for me... :cheers:

Redskins 20 Bucs 16

I wouldnt say that both teams will struggle to run the ball because we wont. Our offensive line is playing awesome, and i think that portis had his highest rushing total last time he faced the bucs.

Right now i believe in Gibbs, Williams, and the Redskins to play in sync. We will have a special team play that will boost us over the hump and claim the victory.

Also Springs will play he is tough and didnt want to sit out the eagles game when it was obvious he was in pain.

Skins will score 32 points this week and our defense averages 17-20 so ill say the bucs will score late and lose 24-32.

I'm tracking you all the way GSF. Good set-up. I know we've played hard every game, but I have some sort of radar going off that the guys and the coaches are going to find another notch to kick it up. There's going to be more intensity Saturday then there has been all year.

Why? Well first of course, there is the revenge factor. Like the Giants game, this one sticks in everyone's craw. It sits on that opposite end of the suck scale that a blow-out occupies: the one/two point last-minute loss.

Then there is the coaching factors. Gibbs is back in the play-offs. There's a lot of vindication for him already this year, but it's not enough. The effort in preparation and personal energy will go up a notch, and everyone around him will see and feel it. He knows this place like few before him. He's here, after wondering, becuase of last year, if he'd ever get asked again and he's not going to go home after the first dance.

And what about Williams? You think that huge deal he just signed is not going to scream in his head:"We HAVE to win this! Prove they did the smart thing!" Yeh, he has an ego. But its not the kind of ego that drives him to blindly damage the team or another player in some pissing contest. It's the kind that drives his own quest for perfection first, so he can feel righteous when demanding it of others. He will be sharper than a Wilkinson razor.

The other side has some very good stuff to bring to the field, in almost every area. And they are at home. That's all big. But it won't be big enough.

Portis owns the Bucs. Look for him to have 150+ yards and 2TDs. Not to mention Brunell has to be slightly ticked off that he didn't win the comeback player of the year award and will be looking to prove some things.

I agree with your prediction except the score. I think the Skins win this by 2 scores or more, 31 - 17. They had the #1 defense last time we played them, and it didn't stop us from dropping 5 TDs on them.

I agree with both Jumbo and GSF's analysis of the game. I think Gibbs and the rest of the coaching staff will have this team ready to go and I think the streak/wake up call from last week will be in the players' heads on gameday. I also agree that X's on O's-wise we matchup pretty well with the Bucs.

However, I do not think we're crediting the players enough for playing their guts out. Marcus Washington and Big Joe Salave'a keep this team going on defense with their positive energy and enthusiasm. Sean Taylor is a maniac on gamedays. He plays at full speed for the entire game. I think that the combination of big hits/plays and constant trashtalk after plays really demoralizes the opposition. He is such an intimidator. Lavar Arrington has been a model team mate even though he hasn't been used like the SuperStar that some think he still is. The guys have played through nagging injuries all year (Sean Taylor separated his shoulder and only missed one game all year!).

Clinton Portis has really become a team leader and a great all around back. He's proven that he will block his tail off and carry the ball 30 times. Our offensive line is big and mean. Santana Moss fights for extra yardage now and Mark Brunell is playing through injury again. Mike Sellars and Chris Cooley are two BIG, TOUGH guys that block and score.

The backups like Pierson, ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Patrick Ramsey, Warrick Holdman, and even Ade Jimoh have all contributed, and they've all made the most of their opportunities without complaining about playing time. I admire how all of the guys have come together. You definately can attribute some of that to the Coaching Staff, but these players have a lot to do with it too. Right now, there's not a guy on the team that I dislike. They've all busted their Aces, and I'm PROUD OF THESE REDSKINS.

The attitude of these players is going to be the reason we win the game. These guys have great comradery and they never give up on each other. Portis said in his interview that he, Sean Taylor, and Satana Moss all encourage each other when the others are going on the field. I'm sure its like that for the entire team. I've dedicated many of my 430 (give or take a few) posts (and a bit of this one :D) to this topic, but I feel the need to re-emphasize it. Sean Taylor will not let us lose this game. He is going to be on AMPED for this game. ST is a big game player and this is the biggest game of his NFL career. As a sophomore at Miami, he made 11 tackles and had two interceptions in the National Title Game. I think he'll build on what he did last week.

Archived