Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN goes overboard again

esm9577

ESPN the Magazine recently declared Tony Dungy “the best coach in the NFL” (Jan. 2 issue, page 39).

Even when you’re familiar with the magazine’s mission statement – “To Grossly Over-inflate the Value, Skill, Performance, Ability, Historical Significance and Ego of Every Sporting Figure Who Appears in Our Pages” – it seemed like a bit of overkill. So, forgive us if we take ESPN’s declaration with a few extra large grains of kosher salt............................Gibbs can stake a claim as the best active coach in football for his history of NFL success dating back more than two decades. But he should also be considered a Coach of the Year candidate for his team’s performance this season.

The Redskins posted a 10-6 mark, earning their first winning season and playoff appearance since 1999. They clawed their way into the playoffs by winning their final five games of the season, including key divisional victories over the N.Y. Giants (11-5) and Dallas (10-6) in back-to-back weeks in December. Washington won those two games by a combined score of 70-27.

Washington made the playoffs the hard way, facing 10 quality opponents this season – more than any other team in the NFC – and beating five of them. In fact, only one other NFC team faced 10 opponents this year with winning records. That team was Philly, an organization whose struggles this season were well-documented. The Eagles beat just two of their 10 quality opponents.

click for the entire article

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=632

ESPN the Magazine recently declared Tony Dungy “the best coach in the NFL” (Jan. 2 issue, page 39).

Even when you’re familiar with the magazine’s mission statement – “To Grossly Over-inflate the Value, Skill, Performance, Ability, Historical Significance and Ego of Every Sporting Figure Who Appears in Our Pages” – it seemed like a bit of overkill. So, forgive us if we take ESPN’s declaration with a few extra large grains of kosher salt............................Gibbs can stake a claim as the best active coach in football for his history of NFL success dating back more than two decades. But he should also be considered a Coach of the Year candidate for his team’s performance this season.

The Redskins posted a 10-6 mark, earning their first winning season and playoff appearance since 1999. They clawed their way into the playoffs by winning their final five games of the season, including key divisional victories over the N.Y. Giants (11-5) and Dallas (10-6) in back-to-back weeks in December. Washington won those two games by a combined score of 70-27.

Washington made the playoffs the hard way, facing 10 quality opponents this season – more than any other team in the NFC – and beating five of them. In fact, only one other NFC team faced 10 opponents this year with winning records. That team was Philly, an organization whose struggles this season were well-documented. The Eagles beat just two of their 10 quality opponents.

I have no idea what you wrote, but you have the scariest, most frightening sig I've ever seen! :ahhhhh:

BEST SIG EVER!

Great read. It still baffles me the lack of respect our HOF coach gets from the media and fans(including some on this site).

Thats because the media has said that "the game" has passed him by before the start of the season. Funny how it has not "passed by" the 6 coaches who has been fired this year.

Forgive me, but, what is this thread about? Are you saying that ESPN went overboard by picking Dungy instead of Gibbs? Just wondering.

That was the title of the article and I used it for the thread title as well. I just found the article interesting and I wanted to share with all.

although i love joe gibbs a lot..

you have to give it to tony dungy... his team was about the get a place in history,....

and he dealt with his son's death very well and kept his team stable..

right now.. dungy is the best coach

If they meant this season then ESPN has might have an argument. But all they said was "Best coach" and we all know that he does not have a history like Coach Gibbs.

Great read. It still baffles me the lack of respect our HOF coach gets from the media and fans(including some on this site).

And unfotantly, that will continue until we make it at least as far as the NFC Championship game, and maybe even to the Super Bowl. At which time everybody and their mother will be lineing up to lick his ba!!'s

Dungy is such a great coach that he's never won a Super Bowl, never even BEEN to a Super Bowl, his teams have a reputation for losing big games, and someone else came into Tampa the year after he left and won a Super Bowl with essentially the same team.

Now I like Dungy, and have tremendous respect for him as a person, but to name him as the best coach in football is ridiculous.

That is an honor to be vied for by coaches with more on their fingers than divisional championships. (i.e. Belichick, Gibbs, Parcells)

From a simple football only perspective (removing the obvious personal issue) Dungy is a hard read. He is a very good coach, but he really must win a Super Bowl to get mentioned in the great category. Something he could not do in Tampa, but Gruden did with virtually the same team. The whole Manning as coach thing crops up in Indy. Giving the award out before the playoffs even start is kinda ridiculous, especially when 5 or 6 guys did much more with less during the regular season than Dungy.

Archived