Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hail from the UK. Whats the feeling for Saturday?

LiverpoolFC

Alright all.

Have been a fan of the game since it was first properly televised here in the mid 80's. Was drawn to the Redskins as they obviously played the strong running game with Riggins to the fore and it seemed more to my liking than the flashier Montana/Marino type offense.

Also the fans were clearly nuts & I like that. I am a follower of Liverpool Football Club (hence the username) here in England and our fans have a similar reputation. Also Liverpool play in all red so that kinda put the cap on it.

Its great to see the Redskins back inthe playoffs after so many disapppointing seasons. What do you think about winning in Tampa?

We have had the last 3 games live over here and after the fantastic Cowboys/Giants performances the Eagles game, though obviously ultimately "job done", was a concern.

Lets face it the Eagles are struggling and a decent side would have put us away.

I am blown away by Portis, the guy has so much talent. Moss also. And of course the defence look like they can nail the QB at any moment. Lets face it they looked more like scoring than the offence vs Philedelphia.

However my concerns are:

Brunel. He has the potential to launch the long bombs but against the Eagles he looked out of sorts and uninspired to me. He just doesn't look like a Superbowl QB to me. But then neither did Doug Williams... LOL!

Overreliance on Portis. If, God forbid, Clinton gets nailed....Betts seems competent enough but we don't seem too have too many variations and see above...

Injuries. Do we expect to have a full squad on Saturday? There seemed to be a number of walking wounded in Philedelphia.

General Away Form. We seem a far weaker side away from home, can we overcome this in Tampa? Whats our record there?

Are many going to the game? I know its a hell of a long way!

In England attending as an away fan, often in our thousands, is a big buzz. It was good to see Skins fans in the crowd in Philedelphia (I know its not that far)

Anyway intere:logo: sted in your opinions, and apologies if any of my points are ill-educated, whilst I love the game, its not my 1st love and I don't pretend to have a terrific depth of knowledge.

One last thing, take heart from this, last year my club Liverpool won the European Champions League (the European soccer version of the Super Bowl)from a similar position to where the Redskins are now. i.e widely recognised as one of the rank outsiders!

We won the Cup, in dramatic style (it would be like winning the SB in overtime after being 0-28 at halftime against Indianapolis) by virtue of the following:

Team Spirit

Hard Work

Great Tactics

Passion

Belief

Fantastic Support from the Fans

And a little luck

Here's hoping the Redskins can find the same formula!

All the best

LFC

LOL! Hello mate fancy seeing you here!

Well you're obviously a man of taste yourself!

Do you go the game much? I am hoping to be at Luton on Saturday although there has been a bit of a balls up on the tickets and its probably 50/50 now.

Either way LFC v Luton followed by the Skins game makes for a good Saturday, assuming I'm not too drunk to focus after Luton!

Alright all.

Have been a fan of the game since it was first properly televised here in the mid 80's. Was drawn to the Redskins as they obviously played the strong running game with Riggins to the fore and it seemed more to my liking than the flashier Montana/Marino type offense.

Also the fans were clearly nuts & I like that. I am a follower of Liverpool Football Club (hence the username) here in England and our fans have a similar reputation. Also Liverpool play in all red so that kinda put the cap on it.

Its great to see the Redskins back inthe playoffs after so many disapppointing seasons. What do you think about winning in Tampa?

We have had the last 3 games live over here and after the fantastic Cowboys/Giants performances the Eagles game, though obviously ultimately "job done", was a concern.

Lets face it the Eagles are struggling and a decent side would have put us away.

I am blown away by Portis, the guy has so much talent. Moss also. And of course the defence look like they can nail the QB at any moment. Lets face it they looked more like scoring than the offence vs Philedelphia.

However my concerns are:

Brunel. He has the potential to launch the long bombs but against the Eagles he looked out of sorts and uninspired to me. He just doesn't look like a Superbowl QB to me. But then neither did Doug Williams... LOL!

Overreliance on Portis. If, God forbid, Clinton gets nailed....Betts seems competent enough but we don't seem too have too many variations and see above...

Injuries. Do we expect to have a full squad on Saturday? There seemed to be a number of walking wounded in Philedelphia.

General Away Form. We seem a far weaker side away from home, can we overcome this in Tampa? Whats our record there?

Are many going to the game? I know its a hell of a long way!

In England attending as an away fan, often in our thousands, is a big buzz. It was good to see Skins fans in the crowd in Philedelphia (I know its not that far)

Anyway intere:logo: sted in your opinions, and apologies if any of my points are ill-educated, whilst I love the game, its not my 1st love and I don't pretend to have a terrific depth of knowledge.

One last thing, take heart from this, last year my club Liverpool won the European Champions League (the European soccer version of the Super Bowl)from a similar position to where the Redskins are now. i.e widely recognised as one of the rank outsiders!

We won the Cup, in dramatic style (it would be like winning the SB in overtime after being 0-28 at halftime against Indianapolis) by virtue of the following:

Team Spirit

Hard Work

Great Tactics

Passion

Belief

Fantastic Support from the Fans

And a little luck

Here's hoping the Redskins can find the same formula!

All the best

LFC

Cheers! :cheers:

ARSENAL!!! :D

Hello mate, yes we had a green away kit for a couple of seasons a few years back, it wasn't bad (by away kit standards!)

Are you confident for Saturday?

I'm cautiously optimistic. At least I'm not terrified like I have been for the last 5 weeks! I think it's just because I can finally breathe again. Win or lose, what they accomplished was pretty amazing and was not an easy thing to do. I'm really proud of 'em, no matter what happens Saturday.

And you'll have to forgive me, I was an Iron Maiden fan before I knew about English soccer, so I'm a West Ham dude. :D

I know, I know.....

I'm cautiously optimistic. At least I'm not terrified like I have been for the last 5 weeks! I think it's just because I can finally breathe again. Win or lose, what they accomplished was pretty amazing and was not an easy thing to do. I'm really proud of 'em, no matter what happens Saturday.

And you'll have to forgive me, I was an Iron Maiden fan before I knew about English soccer, so I'm a West Ham dude. :D

I know, I know.....

Yeah I know what you mean, I thought they had no chance of the play offs, especially after those painful defeats to Tampa, Raiders & San Diego. All games we should have won I believe. Not to mention the Giants hammering. We had the NY game live over her and I had to turn off in the 3rd Q it was too painful.

Its a relief to be there and maybe now the pressure is off (well you know what I mean) they will grow as a side.

As for West Ham funnily enough they are a team I have some fondness for as I lived in East London for 12 years (until 2 yrs ago) about a 15 min walk from their ground. They are doing OK this season & should stay up which will be mission accomplished. I do always look for their result as I have a good few mates who follow them.

As for Iron Maiden they were a band I have seen a good few times, I was (and remain) more of an early album (IM & Killers) fan. I know the Ruskin Arms (where they were formed) very well. Its a right dodgy pub!

All the best

Whilst not a "soccer" (i hate calling it that) fan per say, (well unless you count Nottingham Forest) i watched the Gerrard and co in the Champions League final, and my oh my... Even speaking as curious bystander what i witnessed there on that pitch was some of the most incredible sportsmanship that ive ever seen on grass. Those guys had passion, grit and determination. You guys should obviously be very proud.

Heres to hoping we can get this team showing a bit of that same flair this weekend. Never before has our team needed its 12th man than this weekend.

HTTR!

Whilst not a "soccer" (i hate calling it that) fan per say, (well unless you count Nottingham Forest) i watched the Gerrard and co in the Champions League final, and my oh my... Even speaking as curious bystander what i witnessed there on that pitch was some of the most incredible sportsmanship that ive ever seen on grass. Those guys had passion, grit and determination. You guys should obviously be very proud.

Heres to hoping we can get this team showing a bit of that same flair this weekend. Never before has our team needed its 12th man than this weekend.

HTTR!

Hi mate,

Yes we are proud, it was unbelievable. I am sorry to see Nottingham Forest in their current plight, we have had some battles with them over the years.

Yeah if the Redskins can show the same spirit in the play offs as LFC did in the Champions League then they can go all the way.

Here's hoping.

Cheers

Hello fellow Redskin fans!

It's going to be a big game saturday and everybody is pumped up for this one. Injury wise, Shawn Springs is the most serious and he's listed as questionable but will most likely play.

Mark Brunnell has that bad knee from the Giant game. He had trouble planting his leg and passing last week. Hopefully, he'll be well rested for this game.

This team is playing some solid football right now. Reminds me of the old Redskins from Joe Gibbs first tour here. They are like a family, playing on and off the field together.

Well, with that said, I'm looking foward to a great game and a Redskins victory. Hope you enjoy the game. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

I am familiar with Anfield and the Cop. I once had a white Liverpool kit that was pretty sweet. I bought it in Denmark as they are pretty fond of anything with "Carlsberg" printed prominently on it.

As for Saturday's game I think the feeling here in DC is pretty positive. Our boys are peaking at the right time and really playing the best football we have seen in a long time around here. Brunell was banged up last week, hence the sub par performance but hopefully he will be healed up enough to get the job done in Tampa. Portis, Moss and Cooley are all on fire. They are our three-headed monster right now. Philly did a good job of keying on Cooley during third downs, but I expect big things out of him against Tampa. I think that Coach Gibbs is going to have some tricks up his sleeve to pull on Gruden. In any case it should be a good game but I think we can pull it out. Go 'Skins!!

My mate owns a Pub and there is only me who goes on about the NFL and the Redskins. He as become so fed up with me this week that he as put posters all over the pub advertising the game. I have had a bet with him that if the Redskins progress to the Superbowl and he shows every playoff game, that I will have at least 3 more people hooked on the Skins.

Now come on Redskins don't let me down!!!

All the best to all Liverpool fans aswell, My team is Leeds United and my Dad told me a tail about when Leeds won the title at Anfield in the 60's. There was a chant of 'bring on the Champions' coming from the stands and when the Leeds players came back out to do a lap of honour they were amazed to see the chants were coming from the Kop and the rest of the Liverpool fans.

What sportsmanship!!!

Greetings!

I've been a Liverpool fan all my life - my mother's from the Wirral. Grew up on the UEFA and European Cup wins in the 70s and 80s, only to suffer through the decline at the hands of Souness and others over many years. Souness acquired some real Dicks, including one whose first name was Julian ;-)

In case you haven't seen it, a great site that unites hatred of ManU and Tampa is the Manchester Buccaneers:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/ManchesterBuccaneers/

I'm sure it's written by a Scouser. A lot of it requires knowledge of English Soccer, but the team logo alone is great.

Love this thread! I'm glad to see the burgundy and gold getting support from across the pond!

As for our game, I'm very comfortable. I thought the move to extend Williams' contract this week sent exactly the right message at exactly the right time to not only the defense, but to the team and the fans: "We're committed to building a winner, not just this year but for years to come, and we're willing to pay for stability to do it." I have a feeling the players, and the defense in particular, are going to be like men possessed for this game.

I'm concerned about injuries to our secondary - Springs and Rogers, our two best CB's, are both banged up. I'm also not convinced that Brunell is at full speed from the hit to his knee. However, I just feel that we're on a roll and the team truly believes in what it's doing.

Cheers, guys. Keep up your support! :cheers:

Archived