Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miners Left Notes for Families

dks1240

i couldnt even read this whole article, i was getting too upset. god bless the miners and their families :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10723450/

Miners' notes: 'Your dad didn't suffer'

Men assured family they were 'just going to sleep,' says victim's daughter

TALLMANSVILLE, W.Va. - Some of the 12 coal miners who died following an explosion left notes behind assuring family members that their final hours trapped underground were not spent in agony, a relative said Thursday.

“The notes said they weren’t suffering, they were just going to sleep,” said Peggy Cohen, who had been called to a makeshift morgue at a school to identify the body of her father, 59-year-old mining machine operator Fred Ware Jr.

Cohen said a note was not left with Ware’s body, but that she planned to retrieve his personal belongings later Thursday to see if he left one in his lunch box.

But she said the medical examiner told her notes left with several of the bodies all carried a similar message: “Your dad didn’t suffer.”

Ware was among a dozen miners who were found after 41 hours inside the mine. They were found at the deepest point of the Sago Mine, about 2½ miles from the entrance, behind a fibrous plastic cloth stretched across an area about 20 feet wide to keep out deadly carbon monoxide gas.

The sole survivor, 26-year-old Randal McCloy, remained in critical condition in a coma in a Morgantown hospital with a collapsed lung, dehydration and other problems.

Yeah -- I would assume it was similar to a diver who drowns under the influence of nitrogen narcosis -- simply like a candle going out. I had a friend who died that way in one of the caves in central Florida...sad, but at least it wasn't painful. The difference is that these guys were doing their job, and my friend (and those with him) were doing something stupid.

Very sad situation, especially the mix-up in reporting. That had to be absolutely devastating to the families to hear everyone is okay one second, then that everyone is not okay the next second...crazy. Kind of the opposite of that famous short-story...anyone know what I'm talking about? The woman gets news that her husband has died in a mine collapse or train wreck or something, and actually gets happy because she'd been trapped all her life. Then he turns out to be okay, and she drops dead from grief. Anyone ever read that in school?

Very sad situation. My thoughts go out to the families.

Yeah -- I would assume it was similar to a diver who drowns under the influence of nitrogen narcosis -- simply like a candle going out. I had a friend who died that way in one of the caves in central Florida...sad, but at least it wasn't painful. The difference is that these guys were doing their job, and my friend (and those with him) were doing something stupid.

Very sad situation, especially the mix-up in reporting. That had to be absolutely devastating to the families to hear everyone is okay one second, then that everyone is not okay the next second...crazy. Kind of the opposite of that famous short-story...anyone know what I'm talking about? The woman gets news that her husband has died in a mine collapse or train wreck or something, and actually gets happy because she'd been trapped all her life. Then he turns out to be okay, and she drops dead from grief. Anyone ever read that in school?

Very sad situation. My thoughts go out to the families.

That story sounds very O. Henry-esque. Like the man who sold his pocket watch to buy his wife a beautiful hair barrette for Christmas, and his wife cut her hair and sold it to buy her husband a new chain for his pocket watch? Or something.

Anyway, I digress. I agree, I couldn't even make it through the first couple of lines on this article. What a shame. :(

That story sounds very O. Henry-esque. Like the man who sold his pocket watch to buy his wife a beautiful hair barrette for Christmas, and his wife cut her hair and sold it to buy her husband a new chain for his pocket watch? Or something.

Anyway, I digress. I agree, I couldn't even make it through the first couple of lines on this article. What a shame. :(

Isn't that the Gift of the Magi? I was telling someone about that earlier this week.

Archived