Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thursday the game plan is in

Chief skin

Well today is Thursday of wildcard week so the players have had a chance to see what Gibbs and the staff has come up with to beat Tampa. What do you think is in Gibbs' plan? We all know and love Redskins smash mouth football and will see them pound the ball at the Bucs. However, I am thinking they have to have something that can use the quickness of the Buc defense against them, like it or not the Bucs have a fast and good defense. Gibbs is a genius at finding weakness and exploiting it to his advantage, something the Bucs have not seen before SURPRISE! What weakness do you see in the Bucs defense?

I dunno about the long ball. Ronde Barber is a ball-hawk and I think their secondary and pass rush are quite good.

Since Portis has had a lot of success running the ball against the Bucs, I'd keep with the ground game that has led to 5 wins in a row.

I'm still a bit worried about Brunell after how off the mark he looked last game. I don't want to rely too much on the passing game to win this week.

The Bucs defense is fast but SMALL. The key is to run right at them - counters and traps - letting our O'Line overpower the smaller defenders. It may not work early but as the game goes on Portis will start to get the second level and may break a big one.

Off this play action to Santana if they cheat a saftey up.

I think it is important that we start sharp and get a lead.

The Bucs defense is fast but SMALL. The key is to run right at them - counters and traps - letting our O'Line overpower the smaller defenders. It may not work early but as the game goes on Portis will start to get the second level and may break a big one.

That's what I'm talking about!

I think if we end up with the ball first we could see a "throw it long enough to where only Santana could run underneath of it" deep ball on the first play just to show them we're willing to. Then a steady diet of Portis and Cooley with the occassional big play by Moss. Wait a minute, that sounds familiar......

Guest ComebackKing

Would be cool to see Sellers smash through some d-linemen (Remember the Dawkins smackdown in week 9?) I sure hope he gets a few carries and a reception or 2 no matter where we are on the field that guy can be good for 10 yards easy if he gets the ball.

This is why I think Ladell Betts will have a big impact on this game. Portis will play his great football as usual. I do however think Betts will see 10-15 carries and if he is opening up the middle, that is when the bucs will have to start committing 8 to the box.

One team will score TD's in the redzone, and one will probably be kept to a couple field goals. Our redzone offense has been our biggest improvement and will be the difference maker in this game.

All great points guys...I like the take a shot early scenario but I also agree with let's do what got us here. Pound it out Gut and Power, Clinton and the line love those plays and Ray Brown is much better straight ahead blocker. We do need to get the early lead though I feel with a lead early we can really put the presssure on young Simms that we just couldn't get a sniff of in the first matchup.

I really do not expecting anything different you do the same thing that have gotten them to this point smash mouth football I do not believe Brunell will have to throw the ball 30 -40 times to win this game.

If he has to throw 40 balls we are in serious trouble.

Circa 25 would be about right.

HTTR

Martin

Go deep early.

Our first couple of plays on offense last weekend were runs for little to no yardage. They saw that coming.

I say, line up like a run, then launch it deep to Moss.

Get Tampon Bay thinkin for a minute, then have Portis stuff it up their asses!

Better shake things up and show em some new stuff, or we will not win this game.

Psych em early and often.

Blitz them early and often.

Let them see a Skins team they were not prepared for.

It's the playoffs.........

Winner takes all.

Hail!:point2sky

Look for several shots down the field....and hopefully one very early. If they want to ATTEMPT to stop Portis, make them attempt it honestly.

You know, I wonder why teams don't try the long ball more often. Let's look at the BAD vs the GOOD that can happen:

The BAD:

1. Obviously, a pick. But seriously, on third down from deep on your side of the field, wouldnt a pick of a bomb be better than a 30 yard punt?

The GOOD:

1. Score or great field position.

2. Pass Interference.

3. Better than a punt on 3rd down if it is picked.

4. Demoralize defense.

5. Keep defense from stacking the box and blitzing. Opens up stuff underneath.

You know, I wonder why teams don't try the long ball more often. Let's look at the BAD vs the GOOD that can happen:

The BAD:

1. Obviously, a pick. But seriously, on third down from deep on your side of the field, wouldnt a pick of a bomb be better than a 30 yard punt?

The GOOD:

1. Score or great field position.

2. Pass Interference.

3. Better than a punt on 3rd down if it is picked.

4. Demoralize defense.

5. Keep defense from stacking the box and blitzing. Opens up stuff underneath.

our strategy is more pound the football until the safties cheat to the LOS, then hit em over top with a successful deep pass

One point Sonny(?) made last week that I've wondered about. He wanted us to do more quick snap counts.

I've wondered why we don't do that more often. Saunter up to the LOS, casually look over the D, and with about 10 seconds left on the play clock, snap the ball, Portis up the middle.

Catch the defense while they're still getting settled in, calling signals to each other, scratching themselves, . . . If nothing else, I'd hope we could manage to get our entire o-line onto their side of the LOS before they even get dug in.

Sonny said Portis got about 10 yards when we did that last week.

I'd actually like to see us go to Trash early. Just to set a tone that we can and will use other guys. Keep their guys guessing. Pound it early and often. I would not mind seeing an early trick play as well, flea flicker, reverse, etc., like the Dallas game to again, keep them off guarg.

But I think we will see plenty of smash mouth football on both sides, which suits me just fine. I think our O-line can control the game, so long as Samuels doesn't need help against Rice.

This is a defense built to cover the pass first. If we are going to beat them it will be on the ground. With that being said I think that you have to use their speed against them and run some mis-direction at some point and bait them into over-pursuing. Samuels is going to be a big big factor in this game. If he can dampen the Rice effect then we will be in good shape.

Archived