Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My nominee for a Robert Royal replacement

BD

In the offseason, I'd love for us to draft a guy like this - and not just because of his huge game last night:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=135032

Because we've got great depth at H-Back - Cooley, Sellers, hopefully Manuel White coming back next year - people miss the fact that we've got lousy depth at TE. Royal isn't bad - despite his inconsistent games this year, he's been a fine safety valve and made several good plays - but besides him, we don't have a single decent TE... which is a problem when Brunell clearly loves throwing to the position.

One injury to Royal, who has missed time in the past (in fact, this is the first season he's played every game), and we're forced to start Kozlowski, who has poor hands, and has shown himself to be just too old and slow to cut it as a starter. We've got Calen Powell and Robert Johnson (respectively on the PS and IR), but neither are starting caliber.

So a guy with clutch hands, size, toughness, who can passblock and runblock, and who would at the very least contend for a starting position at TE - and who, I might add, has at best 3rd round grades - might be an excellent pickup after we've filled the needs at 2nd WR and DE.

BD

one really good late-round steal might be T.J. Williams, a player here at N.C. State who is graduating. he doesn't have huge stats... partly because since philip rivers left our quarterback play has been from horribly inconsistent to just plain awful... and we run a lot

but we're talking about a big guy, great hands.. one of rivers' favorite targets, and a good run and pass blocker.

yah i was thinking the exact same thing tonight while watching him dive all over the field for balls. Why not establish a young TE corps? With Cooley already in place, an upgrade at TE could be the third option that pushes our O to the top of the league. With all the 2TE we use this could work very nicely. We'd be a legitimate passing threat out of a 'running formation' especially in the redzone. Not sure if Mr. Wendy's is the right choice here, as i have nothing to base him off besides his 10-odd catches in the Rose Bowl W. (how is he as a blocker, anyone know?)

That in mind, I say we go WR round two, TE round three, then try and find some DE steals in latter rounds. In Free agency bigger name DE and another cheap wideout to compete with ROUND 2/Patten for the second slot.

:bucsuck:

Royal has been touch and go at times (the one game where he dropped 3 passes in particular), but I think he has shown enough to be given the chance to continue to develop in the Redskins system. This offense does need another receiving weapon, and it would be great to have an Algae Crumpler type of player.

what about the tight end from Virginia tech? I don't know much about the guy can anyone give me some info on him? I was watching a few games and he was great.

His name is Jeff King.

Guys I think David Thomas would be a great addition to this team. He looked terrific tonight.

dave thomas did look nasty. He made one catch early on that looked exactly like cooley's first td catch against dallas.

A playmaking tight end is not needed in this offense. A bone shattering TE that can block and make the occasional play is. That is the reason the coaches are high on Royal. Royal was a playmaker in college. The guys on the team comment about his playmaking ability, but the offense doesn't demand that of Royal. Royal just needs to adjust his mentality to make the most out of every opportunity thrown his way and he'll be perfect for this offense.

I have been a Thomas fan since I saw him play last year. He actually plays a lot like Cooley and is considered a prospect at TE or Hback position. I would love to pick him up in the third and use him at TE. Could you imagine two guys like that running people over out there!!

A playmaking tight end is not needed in this offense. A bone shattering TE that can block and make the occasional play is. That is the reason the coaches are high on Royal. Royal was a playmaker in college. The guys on the team comment about his playmaking ability, but the offense doesn't demand that of Royal. Royal just needs to adjust his mentality to make the most out of every opportunity thrown his way and he'll be perfect for this offense.

I agree with the "bone-shattering TE that can block" comment (I would have gone with "road paving" but same thing) for Gibbs' offense, but am I the only one that is NOT impressed with Royal's blocking? I've re-watched several of the games, and I'm not impressed with the guy. I think he's more of an athletic receiver than an impressive blocker.

Imagine our running game this year if we'd taken Heath Miller rather than Jason Campbell...

what about the tight end from Virginia tech? I don't know much about the guy can anyone give me some info on him? I was watching a few games and he was great.

You're meaning Jeff King, no doubt. He's an excellent blocker, very decent hands but he has no speed and is not a real threat beyond 10-12 yards downfield. That being said, he might be more than sufficient in say, the red zone or in third and 4 from our 38 situation. David Thomas has better hands, marginally faster and maybe a bigger threat downfield.

It might be worth it to take a shot on a TE deep in the draft. Cooley was a 3rd rounder which is still relatively high, but for someone who's showing his promise in his first 2 years, he was a steal. Good scouting can identify talent from small schools (Utah State) and maybe we can come away with one of those "wait a minute, what round was he drafted" picks. We should definitely make blocking a major priority in whoever we have at TE because of the emphasis we're putting on the running game now, especially with the success we've had sweeping outside recently.

Enough said.... :applause:

Archived