Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it just me or does Larry Michael......

neilclarke

Leave a little to be desired as the Skins' play by play man? I mean, I just watched the replay of the Skins/Eagles game on NFL network and of course, there was plenty of WJFK audio feeds w/ Larry, Sonny, and Sam synched in over the video that was being shown. I just think that Larry is not as enthusiastic as he should be. He sounded pretty mono-toned to me. On most of the big plays, he just spoke in a matter-of-fact manner with no excitement or vest in his voice. Hell, the Skins were making a bid for the playoffs for goodness sakes. I know one thing.... It wouldn't have happened that way if Frank Herzog was still in the booth. Frank would have been all over it. "Touchdown, Washington Redskins!"

Is it just me or has the Redskins Radio network taken a big step back since they removed Frank from his two hall of fame buddies? And wan't it Larry Michael a few years ago that used to do the post game call in show and blast the Redskins when they would lose a game?

Guest ComebackKing

On most of the play calls I have seen by Larry Michael this season he has been pretty good. I haven't heard anything of the last game though. My opinion Larry has been just O.K. I'm sure there is better out there.

Herzog was good in his day, but in his final years he was horrible.

He misidentify players.

He consistently made mistakes on the amount yards gained on a play.

When he became disinterested in the game, it would show in his play calling.

I have his radio calls (recorded over the game) on DVD from his last 4 years or so and he was awful.

Not saying Larry Michael is the greatest, but right now, he's better than Frank Herzog.

Herzog was very good in his time. But his time ended sometime in the mid 90's.

Frank made alot of mistakes. More, I think, than Larry does. And Frank had a terrible habit of being "cute" that usually drove me nuts.

You know how Larry Michael refers to Ethan Albright as "the red snapper" on every punt?

Well, one year, when Ricky Ervins was the starting tailback, Frank referred to him as "Riki-Tiki Tavi". Every stinking handoff would go to "Riki-Tiki Tavi". Every dump-off in the flat would go to "Riki-Tiki Tavi"! All game long!! ALL STINKIN' SEASON!!! :hammer:

Frank had a better voice, but I don't miss him.

i didn't care for frank that much either. sonny is the only guy i like, he still knows how to read a defense. i wouldn't mind b.mitch or czban doing it. either of them would annoy me enough that i would eventually love hating them.

besides it could be worse...pittsburg and baltimore both got some old school guys on their gametime commentary and when they aren't slurring their words, there totally f'in up what's going on on the field.

Of course people were against Larry in the beginning because of the way Frank was run out, but at some point people are going to have to move on and give this guy a chance. Blade and I were talking about this subject before the Giants game a couple weeks ago and we both agreed that although Larry was rough in his first season, he's done a fine job this year. Give him some time, and more importantly, give him a chance.

I don't think you can ever match that 'Touchdown Washington Redskins' from Frank - that is timeless, but I think Larry has done fine. He knows what he is talking about, does his research with his stats.

The change has been made and I can live with it, in fact, I think Larry is pretty good!

Of course people were against Larry in the beginning because of the way Frank was run out, but at some point people are going to have to move on and give this guy a chance. Blade and I were talking about this subject before the Giants game a couple weeks ago and we both agreed that although Larry was rough in his first season, he's done a fine job this year. Give him some time, and more importantly, give him a chance.

By no means am I slamming Larry and I agree he should be given a chance by all Skins fans who were used to Sonny, Sam, and Frank for all those years... The only gripe I have with him is sometimes he doesn't sound like he's even a Redskins fan when calling the game. Sometimes when the Skins make a big play or a TD, there's no change in the tone of his voice compared to them running a 3 yard off-tackle running play. All I'm saying is I'd like to see him use more enthusiasm towards the Skins when calling the game. It's not like he has to be partial, it's the Redskins Radio Network!

i think it depends on how the skins do. i remember the last few years frank was on. i was just starting to listen to them on the radio. our team was awful those years so i rarely got to hear "touchdown washington redskins!" which was one of the reasons i had the radio on in the first place. i didnt like Larry much when he came on, because i was very partial to Frank, but i think he is doing fine. hopefully itll get a lot better with the skins becoming a contender in the last year.

I always wondered why they didn't go after other ex-palyers as play by play guys. Doc Walker could work. I think Frank Sam and Sonny did it so long we just let it slide as fans.But after hearing two seasons on Sirius alot of teams have better play by play guys.

Larry is ok,but you can tell Sam and Sonny have not "warmed " to him as yet.Heck I'll take Joe Jacoby for comic relief.

Archived