Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our running backs

Skins24

yeah I know...another poll :doh:

But this one is what the Skaggs vs. Watson poll should have really been.

Preseason stats:

Kenny Watson - 17 carries, 74 yards, 4.4 avg., 1 touch

(has come on strong as of late)

Robert Gillespie - 15 carries, 46 yards, 3.1 avg.

(started the preseason very strong)

Betts - 17 carries, 58 yards, 3.4 avg.

(Haven't heard his name mentioned that much - which may have a lot to do with George always getting confused and messing up the names - I didn't realize he had 17 carries)

I'd really like to keep all 4. Gillispie and Watson both can contribute on special teams, so we would be getting some use out of them.

Gillespie is a guy who could contribute to our offense regularly because of his recieving skills, but if there were ever a case where both Davis and Betts were hurt, we'd be much better off if Watson was around to run the ball.

If it came down to keeping Skaggs or one of these two guys, I'd keep the back.

i think watson has looked great on special teams, and gillespie has looked better (even given the difference in the numbers) running the ball. gillespie dances better than watson. but watson hits harder on ST.

rather see skaggs go than either of these two.

I'd like to keep Watson. He looked better than Gillespie against the Bucs, plus he has our only rushing TD of the preseason. He seems to be a bit more powerful than Gillespie, meaning possibly more value on ST.

Plus he's a better runner, and he can catch the ball better than Gillespie can run. With SS teaching him how to come out of the backfield and make a catch in the flat, he should be at least servicable in that role.

I would cut Gillespie, Watson is the better pure runner as well as Blocker, and has looked good in the last few games, hell if it wasn't for his own man knocking the ball out of his hand it wouldn't be any contest. Besides, Watson leads the team in rushing,4.1 avg and has two of the teams longest runs this preseason and has done this against mainly against the other teams second teams defense. Gillespie is getting most of his reps against the third and fourth teams. And as far who is the better receiver out of the back field, Hell Watson played Wide Reciever his senior year at Penn State 17 catches 361 yards or something like that. I think this is all a mute point because in all the preseason games Watson has been the first one to spell Davis. Hmmmmm. I guess the real question to ask is what the Heck has Betts done compared to Gillespie or Watson. I know the politics of football and 2nd rounders don't get cut in year one, but I think Watson and Gillespie have shown far more and fit better in this offense than Betts. Just my opinion on this nail biter on who the turk visits on Tuesday.

I think its a good sign that we are worried about who gets cut. This team has a lot more talent than people are giving them credit for. I think Gilispie gets cut. Haven't really heard much about Betts. Being a 2nd round pick, I think he makes the team.

Watson stays based on production.

Gillespie goes to the practice squad based on potential. I like his burst, but, despite being in this offense last season at Florida, he is the worst of the backs at picking up blitzes. But he can contribute if there is an injury down the line.

Gillespie can hold his own when pass blocking. He is not as strong as Watson, but he will do well. Gillespie knows the system and is the perfect compliment to pure runners like Davis. More times than not in SOS's offense at Florida, Gillespies main job is to just get open and *not* stay to block (whether a scripted play or just as the safety valve).

Remember, Gillespie is a rookie. One of the hardest things for a rookie (<cough> QB's too) is recognizing the blitz.

BTW, didn't Watson already get cut? hehe.

Well, up to now, Gillespie HASN'T picked up the blitz very well, even if he has the ability to do it.

Again, Watson gets the roster spot based on actual production. But I'd like to see the team hold on to Gillespie for the future.

Archived