Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You guys know a 5th or 6th seed has never been to a superbowl...

WeBB15

The 2000 Ravens were a Wild Card, however I'm not sure if we were in the new format of 4 divisions / conference. However even prior to the new format we still had the same amount of teams in the playoffs -- prior to the new format there were 3 wild cards / conference.

There's one active coach who gives me the confidence that a 6th seeded Wild Card team could be coached up and prepared to play in order to win three straight road playoff games.

Guess who that coach is. Let me give you a hint, it's not Norv Turner; oh, wait, he got fired already.

In fact, with the Steelers sitting hot at the 6th seed in the AFC, I'd say that both 6 seeds have good chances to play the three-week spoiler.

The NFL had 5 playoff teams per conference (3 division winner and 2 wild cards) until 1990, when it expanded to 6 playoff teams (3 division winners and 3 wild cards). The weakest division winner was forced to play in the wild card round. When the NFL went to 4 divisions per conference, it didn't change the number of playoff teams per conference, its still only 6. However, now the 2 weakest division winner must play in the wild card round.

Archived