Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets relive a little Redskins Wildcard History

Griff

I wanted to post a Joe Gibbs coached feel good on the road wildcard victory story, so I dug this up for the Post archives.

Gibbs,Joe3.jpg

Redskins Silence Screaming Eagles, 20-6

By Richard Justice

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, January 6, 1991; Page D1

PHILADELPHIA, JAN. 5 -- The Washington Redskins, erasing ghosts that seemingly had chased them for three sometimes agonizing seasons, dismantled the Philadelphia Eagles, 20-6, today in the NFC wild-card game before 65,287 at Veterans Stadium.

On a chilly, windless afternoon, the Redskins went into one of the most hostile arenas in football and outplayed and outhustled a team that for the last month or so had looked like the best the NFC could offer.

Just a few graphs and the link please. --Henry

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/history/allart/91eagles.htm

That was a great game. Buddy Ryan foolishly pulled Cunningham for McMahon and got himself fired. Another Gibbs foe bites the dust. :)

Wasn't that playoff game played after the infamous "Body Bag" game only a few weeks before? That was sweet revenge! :cheers:

:eaglesuck

Wasn't that playoff game played after the infamous "Body Bag" game only a few weeks before? That was sweet revenge! :cheers:

:eaglesuck

It most certainly was! In that 1990 Monday Night game we lost I think all 3 of our QBs...I htink they were Rypien, Humphries and Conklin...then Brian Mitchell finished the game at QB for us. But come playoff time we were all healthy and we took it to them.

Yes, I remember this game vividly, it was another revenge game. However this game was revenge for one of the most memorable (and not in a good way) games we ever played and can be described in 4 words -- The Body Bag Game.

Buddy Ryan in the end walked away with his tail in between his legs.

1 fact for you guys if it wasnt posted already:

In 7 trips to the postseason in his 13 seasons as a redskins coach prior to this year, Gibbs has only once NOT won a playoff game which was 1984. All other times the skins under Gibbs got at least 1 playoff victory before either going all the way or losing.

I certainly remember that game. Buddy Ryan talked so much crap all through his years at Philly. But it was all during the regular season. I got the feeling that Gibbs didn't like Ryan, and really enjoyed knocking him out of coaching with that win. Philly had so much hype going into that game.

Archived