Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yes Woody, you are stupid - The Redskins on Cold Pizza 01/04/06

PCRoughrider

On "second down" of their First and 10 segments, Wood and Skip were going over the coaching vacancies and say who should be hired for each. After that, the next topic was "Big bucks for Skins DC, where Jay, "the moderator" called him "Gregg Washington" :doh:

Then Jay, incredulously, asks Skip if he's worth that kind of money? After all, Jay says, "His defense is ranked ninth in the NFL!"

Skip says "He's worth every penny." Jay, immediately, pipes in "Why!?" Then Skip says that the defense was terrible under Spurrier and was third last year. Skip also says that Williams is a better defensive coordinator than he'll ever be a head coach.

Then, it's Woody's turn...

Woody says, "Gregg Williams, I really don't get. Maybe I'm stupid but he was not a very good head coach." Jay pipes in "17-31" Woody then says, wincing, "They were ninth overall! We're not talking about the best defensive coach, you know that. Some of them are on this board (pointing to the chalkboard they used for the previous segment about the coaching vacancies). Here's a guy who doesn't deserve all that."

Then Woody says that he got the money because Snyder didn't want to lose another defensive coach like he did with Marvin Lewis.

People who dont follow the Skins will look at it that way. We know how much he means. This defense has changed the culture of this team and has shaken up the city. That defense is the reason FedEX has become one of the hardest places to play. He means much more to this city and its fans than he ever will to the national media. He is worth every penny. It's not about overall rankings. It's about the unheralded players stepping up and playing great ball. In the age of the salary cap that is priceless. This guy gets average players to believe they are great.

Well they sort of got it at the end. As much as Snyder was paying for a quality defensive coach Snyder was also paying for stability. Our biggest downfall in his tenure has been the constant rotation of systems.

Now if they want to nitpick about why our defense is ONLY ranked 9th and not 1rst. They need to nitpick over our talent. Which is nowhere near the talent level of the Ravens or Bucs when their defenses were dominant or the old Bears or Giants defense. The Redskins need at least one more stud along the defensive front. And for players like Rogers and Taylor to reach their potential before you can start getting into the league of some of the greater defenses of the past 20 yrs. But sealing the deal with Gregg Williams was a positive step in that direction.

Do you guys think paying an assistant $8 million over 3 years, even if he is GW? I think that's about 2.7 mill per year. I mean will every defensive coord. expect something in the millions. I think tice was making like $700k (or somewhere close to that). Just curious of the long term effect.

Woody has proven time and time again how little he really knows about sports. He is more of a want-to-be comedian than he is an analyst. He was still riding the Michael Vick/Falcolns bandwagon after they had been eliminated from the playoff contention. Just remember it is Woody saying it, and don't let yourself get worked up over it.

This is why the meida dislikes us, they are looking in from the outsde and make these type of comments on TV, then the Skins turn around and prove them flat out wrong. They get embarassed and pick up and ax and grind it every time they get a chance. SCREW THEM!!! 5 game winning streak we have been playing do or die games for the past month, we are hot, hungry, and good.

Woody? :mad: Are you kidding? That guy would not know football if he was born on a football field. :silly: He is stupid to say the least. Also, GW's salary will not hit against the cap and that is mainly what I can concerned about. We have an owner that doesn't mind paying players nor coaches. Some time too much, but this move shows that he is making moves for now and the future.

Do you guys think paying an assistant $8 million over 3 years, even if he is GW? I think that's about 2.7 mill per year. I mean will every defensive coord. expect something in the millions. I think tice was making like $700k (or somewhere close to that). Just curious of the long term effect.

Doesn't matter....as long as the Danny can afford it.....

What they fail to see is what GW has done with a bunch of players who no one's heard of. No one really knew who Lemar Marshall was before this year. Cornelius Griffin was an underachiever in NY. What is he now an overachiever? GW has done the best possible job with what he has. Imagine if he had a pass rushing tandem like the Giants do. This defense would be ranked #1 easily. These critics don't look at things like that. GW is a great motivator and this defense respects him. That's why they play so hard. We're not the most talented, but GW knows how to use and get the most out of his players and that's the bottom line.

The Redskins haters are always going to have something to say. Trust me if we win the Superbowl, there will be negative comments made too. They'll probably say we're the worst team to ever win the Superbowl or something like that.

Idiots.

Everyone claimed the Defense would suck this year after Smoot and Pierce left since we had already lost Bailey the year before.

Then Lavar doesn't even do much, ST, Griffen, and a few other have injuries, and we have the toughest schedule of any playoff team but somehow being a Top 10 Defense isn't good enough?

People who dont follow the Skins will look at it that way. We know how much he means. This defense has changed the culture of this team and has shaken up the city. That defense is the reason FedEX has become one of the hardest places to play. He means much more to this city and its fans than he ever will to the national media. He is worth every penny. It's not about overall rankings. It's about the unheralded players stepping up and playing great ball. In the age of the salary cap that is priceless. This guy gets average players to believe they are great.

excellent post, livestrong. i agree 100%. nobody wanted phillip daniels, ryan clark, walt harris, joe salave'a and look what they've all done. everybody, including yours truly, thought that marshall would never be the player pierce was, and we were proven wrong on that. he gets more out of less than anybody. it's actually scary to think what he could do if he had a front 4 that could consistently get pressure sans the blitz.

Bill Belicheck wasn't much a head coach either until he got to the Patriots. Finding the right match isn't always easy. Coaches learn how to win, Gregg Williams is learning how to win from the best of the best. GW is one of the first ones to say how much he owes to Joe Gibbs and how much of a better coach he has become. Of course Woody Paige would never do the research to find these comments and really know what is going on.

It was really more of a gesture because he won't make 3 years, he'll most likely be head coach of the Skins after next season.

Williams is definately worth whatever money it would take to keep familiar faces and familiar schemes for the players to grow with. The defense will do nothing but get better as the Greg Williams defense will become nothing short of second nature to our players. Snyder did a hell of a job keeping him here. Especially considering he is learning from the BEST Head Coach in the game. He will be a much better Head Coach his second time around, and will have a lot more success than before. And thanks to Snyder, his second time around will be in Washington.

To have the ninth best defense after playing the quality offenses we faced this year is much better than the someone like the Jags beating up on Houston and Tenn. four times a year. This team went against record-breaking Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber (twice), LaDainian Tomlinson, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson and the Denver committee that everyone knows puts up numbers. And that's only looking at opposing team's running games. Now tell me ninth wasn't all that impressive.

Yeah, the defense was ranked ninth overall. But we also played ten teams with winning records. Let's see how that stacks up against the teams in front of us:

1) Tampa Bay - 7 teams.

2) Chicago - 7 teams.

3) Carolina - 7 teams.

4) Pittsburgh - 8 teams.

5) Baltimore - 9 teams.

6) Jacksonville - 6 teams.

7) Green Bay - 9 teams.

8) Arizona - 8 teams.

9) Washington - 10 teams.

And we still made the playoffs.

Yeah, the defense was ranked ninth overall. But we also played ten teams with winning records. Let's see how that stacks up against the teams in front of us:

1) Tampa Bay - 7 teams.

2) Chicago - 7 teams.

3) Carolina - 7 teams.

4) Pittsburgh - 8 teams.

5) Baltimore - 9 teams.

6) Jacksonville - 6 teams.

7) Green Bay - 9 teams.

8) Arizona - 8 teams.

9) Washington - 10 teams.

And we still made the playoffs.

And #5,7, &8 are not in the playoffs or were even close.

Look no further than the last game where the Skins gave up around 335yards to the eagles. Then look at the 6 turnovers they got.

I'll take D#9 over D#3(last year) if it means playoffs.

It's not about overall rankings. It's about the unheralded players stepping up and playing great ball. In the age of the salary cap that is priceless. This guy gets average players to believe they are great.

All that matters is Ws. If you are getting Ws, you try to avoid drastic changes. The other thing is, when judging defense, you definitely can't just go by overall rankings. Sometimes you have to look a little deeper and look at the primary job a defense has: prevent the opposition from scoring... the 'Skins are #5 overall. Also, in the past few weeks, a HUGE difference in these games has been the ability for this defense to get turnovers.

Archived