Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question: Does Joe Paterno even coach Penn State anymore?

flexxskins

I have not been a big college football fan in the past, but I have been watching quite a bit of it for the past couple of years. One thing that I have noticed about this season is that J.Paterno does not appear to have any say so on the sidelines any longer. I have noticed little things like, he no longer talks with the players on the sideline, the other coaches (who are actually wearing headsets and directing players and calling plays) just ignore him and when he goes off on the refs, they just kind of smile and guide him away from them.

I have heard the question asked several times of what the difference is in the Nittany Lions from last season and them winning only 4 games and this season playing in the Orange Bowl? Well, not to be hatin on Joe or anything, but my first guess would be that Joe is basically only a figure head this season and that someone else is actually coaching the team. I am not familiar with their coaching staff, but there is a young man with red hair that runs up and down their sideline with a headset that looks like he is definately running the whole show.

Has anyone else noticed these things? Is this already a widely known fact and I am way too late with my observations? :)

Figurehead? No, not by any means. But he has given allot more responsibility to the OC, which is a big reason why we've had such a turn around this year.

And if anyone was watching the game, reportedly the last field goal was actually supposed to by a fake FG. Gotta love JoePa

The Nits go 11-1, miss the BCS Championship by 1 stupid play at the end of the Michigan game, and NOW you're calling for Joe to retire? Consider the fact that many very loyal PSU fans have 'fired' him numerous times in the last 3-4 years - he has stuck it out. Now is not the time to kill him. WE ARE .....

It looks like to me that he is the figurehead of the team. Seeing him on the sidelines by himself and with no headset says a lot. He has had a good run at Penn State and should retire this year.
Well, I don't really know enough about him or the team for that matter for me to be able to say that he should retire. But, obviously you have been seeing the same thing that I have been seeing. Everytime the camera is on him he is doing absolutely nothing. This is a far cry from how I remember he use to be on the sideline. Maybe they are just making a very smooth transition of some sort.

Guest sith lord

I was thinking the samething. Him, like Bowden, are nothing more than figureheads. It's been documented that Bowen doesn't call any of the plays anymore.

Joe isn't going anywhere. You are all crazy. :laugh:

It wasn't if he'd coach again, it was if he was actaully making calls/coaching presently. I imagine if he does die, they'll stuff him in the Lion suit and put him on the bench. That or put his picture on there plain white helmets :laugh:

I have no doubt both coaches have delegated some of their responsibilities. But, do you seriously think that making the calls on the sideline is all that a college coach does? That is but a fraction of his responsibility.

Guest sith lord
I have no doubt both coaches have delegated some of their responsibilities. But, do you seriously think that making the calls on the sideline is all that a college coach does? That is but a fraction of his responsibility.

I'm sure a head coach does more than just call plays on the sideline. But that's the most important thing he does.

My impression of both coaches is that they are more managers than coaches at this point. Neither appears to have much input into gameday decisions any more. I'm thinking they've both reached the point where they've delegated most actual coaching work to longtime assistants who know what they want and how they want it instituted.

Nothing wrong with that as long as it keeps working. :)

I hope JoePa had nothing to do with those yoogly, bulbous bad-sci-fi-movie helmets PSU is wearing nowadays by the way. Not something I'm thinking he's going to want to be remembered for.

If you are referring to my original post you will need to go back and read it again and notice that I did not just mention the fact that he is not making calls. I posted a couple other observations also. :)

I'm sure a head coach does more than just call plays on the sideline. But that's the most important thing he does.

How about recruiting? You can call the best plays in the world but if you don't have the players to execute, what good does it do?

My impression of both coaches is that they are more managers than coaches at this point. Neither appears to have much input into gameday decisions any more. I'm thinking they've both reached the point where they've delegated most actual coaching work to longtime assistants who know what they want and how they want it instituted.

Nothing wrong with that as long as it keeps working. :)

I hope JoePa had nothing to do with those yoogly, bulbous bad-sci-fi-movie helmets PSU is wearing nowadays by the way. Not something I'm thinking he's going to want to be remembered for.

I get the same impression from just watching the whole sideline scenario Om. But something else that strikes me funny is that it seems as though the media realizes the same thing that we have, but is going way way out of their way to convince the television audience that Paterno is still very much in the thick of things.

Archived