Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL take on skins...BEtter game plan needed

Fan4life

CAN someone past this on to Redskins park. :gaintsuck

Sweet 'N' Sour Team: Mark Brunell sure looked like his old self by firing beautiful, deep passes to Santana Moss and James Trash, plus running on

third-and-8 for a late conversion that nearly iced the Skins' playoff invitation. But Washington keeps rolling Brunell left (he's left-handed) on short-yardage downs, and it's fooling no one. Philadelphia leading 17-7, Washington had third-and-1 on the Nesharim 6; Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. Philadelphia leading 20-17, Washington facing third-and-3, Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. Washington leading 24-20 with 3:25 remaining, facing third-and-3, Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. All three plays were designed to go to H-back Chris Cooley, and all three times Eagles defenders, knowing what was coming, swarmed over Cooley. Memo to Redskins coaches: Everybody in the free world expects Brunell to play fake and roll left on short-yardage downs. This was the single most predictable action in the NFL this season, and Washington needs to fix the problem before the playoffs commence.

CAN someone past this on to Redskins park. :gaintsuck

Sweet 'N' Sour Team: Mark Brunell sure looked like his old self by firing beautiful, deep passes to Santana Moss and James Trash, plus running on

third-and-8 for a late conversion that nearly iced the Skins' playoff invitation. But Washington keeps rolling Brunell left (he's left-handed) on short-yardage downs, and it's fooling no one. Philadelphia leading 17-7, Washington had third-and-1 on the Nesharim 6; Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. Philadelphia leading 20-17, Washington facing third-and-3, Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. Washington leading 24-20 with 3:25 remaining, facing third-and-3, Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. All three plays were designed to go to H-back Chris Cooley, and all three times Eagles defenders, knowing what was coming, swarmed over Cooley. Memo to Redskins coaches: Everybody in the free world expects Brunell to play fake and roll left on short-yardage downs. This was the single most predictable action in the NFL this season, and Washington needs to fix the problem before the playoffs commence.

Wow, so I guess Cooley was shut down all year then, right?

The Eagles made it a point to take away Cooley from us, and they were successful at that. Unfortunately for them there are some other guys they need to worry about.

I can't argue with this insight, because I said the same thing sitting in my living room.

And, on third and short, we just need to pound the ball instead of constantly trying to pass. Put Cartright in with Sellers as lead blocker in the heavy jumbo set and take over the line of scrimmage.

Gut and Power!

EVeryone in the NFL knows that Brunell has limitation rolling or throwing to his Right side.

and sure...the average teams we've played. Sure they might have miss things. But look at the Eagles. Defense was still their strong suit. So they ice out Cooley. OUr offense was in check for most of the game. The game was close.

So lets pray for our coaches to dig into their bag of tricks for this do or die game Saturday.

In the Philly game it seemed that our playcalling was a little predictable and bordering on conservative at times. I hope we get back to going for the kill in the playoffs.

Just hoping the GIbbs was hiding his hands for the playoffs.

We do need to suprise these HOME Teams with unpredictbility. Sure Run run CP> But throw stuff in there. pLeASE JG.

How does that make other teams different for rolling their right-handed QB's to the right... ? I don't get it. Execution takes care of everything.

its that team predicts that Brunell isnt as dangerous rolling or passing right. that they know if he rolls left..its to cooley. there isnt much other options. And they shut that down real fast sunday. a 6-10 team of all.

I agree, on 3rd and short, majority of the time we should run. We don't seem to though. It would be nice if we could spread the field out with a 3 WR set. If they decide to still put 8 in the box, audible to a passing play. If they play it safe and just have 7, then run for 2 or 3 yards. Im sure our guys are calling for it, and Joe is trying to be sly and possibly trick the opposing defense. It would also be nice to see some draw plays on 3rd and short, if they do believe we are passing. I don't think I have seen a draw play to Portis all year. Or even have Brunell just drop back. This gives him the option of throwing or running if he sees a lane. Brunell isn't running on these play-actions to the left, and we all know it. His only option is to throw. I'm trusting that Gibbs looks at our 3rd down conversion rate this past game, and realizes that we are going up against a better defense this week. I believe 3rd downs will be key on Offense and Defense this week. Let's go Gibbs. HTTR :cheers:

I think Joe Gibbs probably has something up his sleeve for the Bucs. The iggle game was played very, very, close to the vest b/c I believe Joe knew that if we minimilized mistakes, ran the ball, and let our D do most of the work we would come out on top. Was he wrong? He knew Mcmahon and Detmer were stooges and many players on their D were injured as well as their best offensive weapons. The only way we would have lost that game was a Brunnell performance ala last year vs. the ravens, a complete meltdown. Trust in Gibbs...he has more football knowledge in his toenail than any media goon.

I agree with what was written. Brunnell and his 9 for 25 completetions is a huge concern for us this week. We may have been running it sucessfully as of late but if you dont think the Bucs will learn from the eagles game tape your wrong. I have faith that Gibbs will make adjustments.

Also, you can throw away the "Gibbs was planning for TB". Gibbs was only worried about beating the Eagles last week.

Why would you even say something about we're not play St. Louis or Arizona now. Especially considering we put up the best numbers in the 5 game run against the Giants and the Cowboys and played mediocre against the rams and the cards. Stop being a nay sayer man, Gibbs knows what he is doing, he's proved that 10 games this season, actually 11 considering he found a way to put 35 points up against the Bucs earlier this season. No need to sweat, gibbs has been here before we'll be alright.

It's true, Brunell has pretty much only completed pases this year rolling left. It's worse when he is injured or tired. I don't know what you're going to do it about it though, short of put another QB in. Brunell certainly will not be rolling right. He can stay in the pocket, and sometimes he does but he seems more uncomfortable with that when he is injured.

I would like to see them put Cooley and Moss to the right, run play action and bring Cooley and Moss across the whole field. First option to the right, then roll to the left as Cooley and Moss continue across the field. The danger is Brunell getting caught up in the rush and not being able to escape/roll left. It requires a somewhat healthy Brunell.

Archived