Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do I respond to this???!!!

RonJeremy

I have been off work for a few days with the holidays and when I check my work e-mail this morning the message below is what I had in my inbox. This is from someone who is a business acquitenance. He sells advertising. I have known him about 5/6 years. Don't really consider him a friend because I don't hang out with him outside of work and only talk to him about business. Only had a few business lunches with him and see him at Chamber of Commerce functions, etc. So here is what I recieved, sent New Years eve around 11:00 p.m:

I don't get it.

Happy New Year. What about last year?

Did we say the same thing then?

Sure. It's what people do.

2005 was a mother****er to me.

It's the only year which began with the need to open my heart up, slightly proceeded by that miserable ********** Ron *******firing me a week before surgery.

Month after month of being alone. The random call. The meds taking over my life.

Not being able to find work (oh, this is such a new thing).

And ending with that Canadian Jew ********** Ari ****** letting me go to avoid paying me one last check at Christmas.

I have tried and struggled and what have I got to show for it?

Happy New Year.

I haven't had a happy moment for too many years.

The loneliness alone would have killed most people. (Oh to be ordinary).

The year also ended with fewer people in it. Jerry ****** too.

I really don't know what is happening. What I do know is that it doesn't feel comfortable any longer.

Sure, there are glimpses of hope (a truly useless word) out there.

The concept of hope has kept me going far too long.

I no longer trust in it (or for that matter much of anything).

If you wre to each ask me why I writing this, really coulnd't give you specific answer.

Just tired. Fed up. Serious tortured artist effect.

The world now spins way too fast, with no moral compass. No captain at the helm

(if ever such a thing existed). We invent all these moral codes and rules and just bull**** to **** our own lives up, much less other people's we insist on advising.

When I was going under for my surgery on January 21st, I had they play Louis Armstrong's "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans".

Listening to Pops sing and play that tune gives me comfort.

Those moments are so spare in this existence I am walking through.

See you on the otherside.

I am not good with these things, any advice on how to handle this is appreciated!

Wow.

I would just ignore it. There is nothing that can be said to console or in any way help this individual, and I wouldnt try to make this guy's problems your problems. I hope the Ron he referred to wasnt you, but either way, if he isnt your close friend, I wouldnt get involved or give him the attention he wants. If you do, I guarantee bad things will come from it.

Wow.

I would just ignore it. There is nothing that can be said to console or in any way help this individual, and I wouldnt try to make this guy's problems your problems. I hope the Ron he referred to wasnt you, but either way, if he isnt your close friend, I wouldnt get involved or give him the attention he wants. If you do, I guarantee bad things will come from it.

I have been ignoring it all morning. I have taken the "don't get involved approach" but was just wondering if I was doing the right thing...so I figured I would throw it out here to get some other opinions.

The Ron he is referring to isn't me, my real name isn't Ron.

Thanks. :)

I would reach out to him and offer a kind word to this troubled person. Then I would continue on to explain that this type of communication is against company policy for containing obscenities etc... and that I would appreciate not being contacted in this manner again. Good luck dude... poor SOB.

Delete it...

If he brings it up tell him you have no RIF skills and must have missed it with the 340 emails in your inbox from spammers...

agree

when i read it that is what i first thought it was

now if he were a friend, then i would do something more

I would reach out to him and offer a kind word to this troubled person. Then I would continue on to explain that this type of communication is against company policy for containing obscenities etc... and that I would appreciate not being contacted in this manner again. Good luck dude... poor SOB.

I don't even have a current number for him. The only number I had was a business number and a cell phone that was the property of the company that canned him last month.

There was about 20 people he sent this too. I think it went out to everybody in his address book. Hopefully somebody who is closer to him than me has already talked to him.

RJ, Tripping on Acid for New Years is such a blast! :doh:

ummm, I don't think a response is nessessary, but maybe at your next meeting, slipping him some real hotline numbers (not your style of hotline numbers :laugh: ) when he isn't looking may help.

Seriously, I hope this guy can pull himself together.

Edit: I just realized he is currently unemployed.

It also sounds like he sent this to a few people.

"If you wre to each ask me why I writing this, really coulnd't give you specific answer.

Just tired. Fed up. Serious tortured artist effect."

Can you check the email headers and see if it was mailed to a group? I would tend to stay hands off not knowing him any better than you described.

Maybe forward his email address to some suicide help line. Sounds like the guy is ready to end his life.

At least that way, if he does end his life you won't have to question if there was something you could have done.

This is obviously a cry of help. What you need to do is ask yourself whether or not you would feel this on your conscience if he does something and you didn't offer help. I'm not saying you would be a bad person if you wouldn't feel bad about it. But, if you are the type of person that would feel bad, then for your own sake, you may want to at least reply to his e-mail and ask if he's going to be ok. It would suck if he did something and you were left feeling guilty that you didn't at least try to help out.

Hey Ron,

I agree with Kevin B. and Taylor36. If it was me, I'd email him back and ask

him if he was serious and suggest counciling. But like Taylor said, ask yourself if you'd feel responcible if he offed himself (if everybody ignored him). But if not hit the delete button. You really can't help him personally, but sometimes people just need to be heard and knowing that sombody cared. Anyone here been thru a divorce?

Wow RJ... first the doctor's visit, and now this :doh:

Seriously I would write back and ask him if he is serious, if he intended it to be a joke. If he replies back that he is serious, I would forward the email to Social Services, etc. You are not obligated to help him yourself, nor are you trained to... trust me you'll feel better if you answer him.

If you don't answer him and something happens... even though you barely know him you'll feel guilty.

Good luck

Geez folks...theres nothing remotely funny about getting a message like that. Not sure why the fact that he's a stranger matters? You don't have to get personally involved. It doesn't take much just to say:

'Hey, I don't feel like I know you very well, but I do care and would never want to see a fellow human being hurting like you are. When you are down, and life has dealt you its worst, it clouds your sight. Things are not as dark as you believe, there is good in the world, and it will find you if you step outside and live. Don't give up.'

Something like that at least.

People that depressed don't always just hurt themselves. Keep that in mind.

Its not your responsibility to help, but you never know, a kind understanding word could make a difference. He needs help.

Geez folks...theres nothing remotely funny about getting a message like that. Not sure why the fact that he's a stranger matters? You don't have to get personally involved. It doesn't take much just to say:

'Hey, I don't feel like I know you very well, but I do care and would never want to see a fellow human being hurting like you are. When you are down, and life has dealt you its worst, it clouds your sight. Things are not as dark as you believe, there is good in the world, and it will find you if you step outside and live. Don't give up.'

Something like that at least.

People that depressed don't always just hurt themselves. Keep that in mind.

Its not your responsibility to help, but you never know, a kind understanding word could make a difference. He needs help.

:applause:

well said, sir

Archived