Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Backbreaking" Defeats

Canadian Hog

We see it year in and year out. At the end of every NFL season, teams on the outside of the playoff picture looking in reflect back on what could have been, and usually pinpoint 2, 3, or maybe 4 games that slipped through their fingers and held them back from their playoff aspirations. In the case of the 2005 Washington Redskins, a similar situation seemed to be developing with a total of 5 losses that easily could have translated into victories. Let's look back:

@ Denver: The Redskins defense fell asleep on a few occasions allowing huge plays for touchdowns. Meanwhile, after a gritty performance in which we held in their against the Broncos, we missed a chance at a 2 point convert late in the game which would have had us headed to overtime where anything is possible.

@ KC: Now here is one that you simply can't stomach. Turnover after turnover costed this team a great opportunity to steal a game in a stadium that few teams manage to do. The Redskins flat out gave this game away.

@ Tampa Bay: After some early turnovers, the Skins managed to screw their heads on straight and take command of the ball game. When faced with a situation where the Redskins were a one yard gain away from icing the game with a fourth quarter lead, we let the opportunity slip away. The rest is history - Chris Simms does his best impression of Joe Montana, we jump offside on an extra point, and a lack of courage on the part of the officials to overturn Mike Alstott's two point convert gives Tampa the victory. This easily could have crushed our teams spirits.

Oakland: Well, if the Tampa game didn't do the trick, this game surely should have sunk us. A third quarter lead of 10 points, the Redskins playing down to the level of their weak competition all day long, and worst of all, our old buddy Norv Turner beats us in front of the same fans he drove nuts for seven seasons. A black cloud over Redskins nation for sure.

San Diego: A fourth quarter lead of 10 points, a flurry of penalties and mental mistakes in the fourth quarter when we had the opportunity to seal the game. This seemed like a bad case of Norvitis all over again. We must have not shaken the ghosts of the past 13 years afterall. Many Redskins fans were convinced that if we didn't already figure out every way to possibly lose a game, we did now. The common thought amongst us after this day was "so who are we going to target in the draft this year?"

Yes, I know......"so what's your point C-Hog?" The point is this:

Regardless what people want to say about our chances in Tampa Bay this weekend, I say forget about them. Throw their opinions out the window. This team went up against all odds this season by not only winning 5 in a row to close out the season, but more importantly in my mind, they recovered from 5 heartbreaking losses and still make the playoffs. That is unheard of. I'll admit, based on what I've seen in my 18 years of watching football, I didn't think that we'd be able to overcome the circumstances of those defeats and still find a way in. I definitely thought that they'd make us stronger for next season, but I surely didn't think that this team would be able to take lumps like it did in those defeats and still find a way to learn on the job and apply the lessons they took away from those games so quickly. We constantly hear how it takes experiencing those tough losses before you finally figure out how to prevent them happening the next time around. In the case of the 2005 Washington Redskins, they speeded up the learning curve tenfold. So if somebody tries telling you that we can't possibly go into Raymond James and run successfully enough against that defense to win, point to your left breast and say "this is all you need to win. Heart. And we've got more than 31 other teams combined."

It is for this reason that I believe that the 2006 Washington Redskins will be something special. I know, with a playoff game coming up, you are probably saying that I shouldn't even be thinking about next year. But the fact of the matter is this: the courage, drive, dedication, and guts that this team exhibited all season will pay huge dividends a year from now. We are in for something special, and I believe we have not completely tapped into our full potential yet.

So enjoy the game this Saturday, cheer like there is no tomorrow, and let the chips fall where they may. Based on what I've seen so far this season, any win from here on in is a bonus. Some might argue that since we've beaten three of other 5 NFC playoff teams, but that's just my opinion. If we don't fair the way we want to however, all I can say is don't you dare be disappointed or angry with our team.

Hail.

I look at this way. 'Skins playoffs started 5 weeks ago. They've already won 5 playoff games. The remaining field is WIDE OPEN - there's NOBODY left that can't be defeated. So, why NOT win one more and play on!!

If - for some reason - they don't, they've got nothing to be ashamed of at this point. They salvaged what was looking like an extremely disappointing season. A foundation is being laid & HOPE is back.

You can't PUT a pricetag on that......

Cheers,

CLBinMD

If we don't fair the way we want to however, all I can say is don't you dare be disappointed or angry with our team.

So, the team loses enough heartbreakers (for various reasons I won't get into) placing us on the outside looking in, when it comes to legitimate SB opportunity and homefield advantage (the two kind of go together in the playoffs) but we can't be disappointed because they came back to actually make the playoffs?

Not quite sure I get that. I predicted 12-4 and an NFC East title. We were really close to doing that and I think even if we didn't win 5 in a row at the end, we could have finished 11-5 and been an overall better squad and had a much stronger chance at the ultimate game.

I won't be ANGRY, but I will be disappointed.

It has been a great season, but as Ghost is alluding to, the team may have blown the chance in that 3 game losing streak to make it a special year and winning the SuperBowl

Going on the road for the 3 straight weeks is going to be very tough. This team can do it, but football is a game of attrition, and I just can't see a team being able to keep the energy required to win in the playoffs for 3 straight weeks on the road

I hope I am wrong

So, the team loses enough heartbreakers (for various reasons I won't get into) placing us on the outside looking in, when it comes to legitimate SB opportunity and homefield advantage (the two kind of go together in the playoffs) but we can't be disappointed because they came back to actually make the playoffs?

Not quite sure I get that. I predicted 12-4 and an NFC East title. We were really close to doing that and I think even if we didn't win 5 in a row at the end, we could have finished 11-5 and been an overall better squad and had a much stronger chance at the ultimate game.

I won't be ANGRY, but I will be disappointed.

Might not have been the most rational prediction in the world. Did the 'Skins lose some games they "should" have won, sure. Did they win some games they "should" have lost, sure. Net-net, they are right about where anyone had any "right" to hope for. If one fails to live up to unreasonable expectations, does that make one a disappointment? :silly:

Ok, all kidding aside, even with a talented squad and a coaching staff that knows how to win, it always seems to take time for a TEAM to figure out how to win - how to close the opposition out when you have them down and how to find a way to claw back into a game when you're down. That's what always disappointed me so much about the "wasted years" editions of the 'Skins. First time they got punched in the mouth it was "game over."

It seems to have taken the brink of elimination for the 'Skins to have - FINALLY!! - figured out how to win. Should that carry over & be built on, the "failures" of this season may ultimately lead to more than one SB trophy in the years to come. That's a, relatively, small price to pay. LASTING success is what I crave....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

Archived